Author Topic: Urban Neighborhoods: St. Nicholas  (Read 8728 times)

EP

Re: Urban Neighborhoods: St. Nicholas
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 10:31:07 PM »
Reminds me of my days at Douglas Anderson...Thanks for the article...

newzgrrl

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 01:21:35 AM »
Thanks for putting together a comprehensive article on Saint Nicholas! There's a photo of my apartment building, and you can almost see my car in the background.  :)

Of course, now the secret may be out and more folks will discover how great this little area is. The pocket park at the end of Holmesdale -- the site from which the cover photo and other skyline photos was taken -- is gorgeous at sunset. You can see the Main Street, Hart and Mathews bridges from there, all bathed in orange, glowing light.

Someone mentioned the shipyard; it was the Merrill Stevens Shipyard. Across from BK are Merrill and Stevens streets. And of course what is now Assumption School was the MSS office, designed by Henry J. Klutho. According to Robert Broward's book, it was "the last completed commercial building by Klutho with any Prairie School detailing" (212).

When I was riding around a few weeks ago, I passed a small cemetery north of Atlantic, maybe on San Mateo or Tiber. The one mentioned in the story is south of Atlantic tucked up by I-95, at Flesher, I think.

For those who follow kickball, the playing field (used by the Springfield Hoodies) is at Saint Nicholas Park.

The Mudville Grille; what kind of name is that for a restaurant? 

Not sure how kidding you are, HU, but the name comes from the poem "Casey At The Bat," which is printed on the menu.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/po_case.shtml

newzgrrl

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 01:33:17 AM »
After slowing down and rereading the part about the cemetery, I see that you wrote about the one north of Atlantic. There is a small one south of Atlantic; the name escapes me. Sounds like an adventure for this Saturday ...

stjr

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 02:04:43 AM »
Another great article.  A few points to note:

The Spring Park area featuring the homes, apartments, school, and playground are in your photos but not picked up in the highlighted section of your "St. Nicholas" map.  It needs to be expanded to include this area South and West of Beach Blvd.  I think you will find area residents would support this as well.

Another St. Nicholas institution was the "Old South Restaurant" at the corner of Walton and Beach Blvd., now, just a small vacant lot on the corner of the strip center.  It burned to the ground a number of years ago but stood on that spot for decades as a local favorite of Southern style cooking.

Ira Koger was a great philanthropist in this city and patron of the arts.  He died in 2004.  Unfortunately, his last decade was a debacle for him:

Koger files Chapter 11
Jacksonville Business Journal - by Lisa R. Schoolcraft

Businessman and philanthropist Ira M. Koger recently filed for Chapter 11 protection in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Jacksonville.

The action is for individual protection. Koger cited his No. 1 creditor as the Internal Revenue Service, to which he owes $3.5 million in taxes.

Chapter 11, the most common form of bankruptcy, can free an individual or company from the threat of creditors' lawsuits while reorganizing finances.

Koger and his attorney, James Fischette, declined to comment.

Koger built suburban office parks throughout the Southeast and took his company public.

By 1988, Koger Properties and the Koger Co., a subsidiary that owned and operated the office parks, had combined revenue of $90 million. His company filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1994.

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2000/10/09/story7.html

When you do adjacent Empire Point, I am sure you will feature one of Jax's most outstanding historic structures and oldest residences, home of the first swimming pool built in Jax, Marabong ( River Point Road):
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

deathstar

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 02:50:55 AM »
Ever gonna venture into or around Valley Forge? My Grandparents live in that area, their backyard has always been a favorite for me as a kid since it's so huge.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 06:27:01 AM »
Where is Valley Forge?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »
The Railroad history is way off track... Pun intended.  I have extended an offer to help spruce it up.

FEC never built a railroad through St. Nicholas. Flagler was "mugged" by the Jacksonville, St. Augustine and Halifax River Railroad, the little narrow gauge line from South Jacksonville to St. Augustine that saw endless dollars in milking the Aristocrat of his hard earned cash for every brick and stick moving to his hotels. The Jacksonville and Atlantic was likewise a narrow gauge line and a connection with the longer STA&HR
got their cars up to the ferry landing in South Jax.

Well, there is much more, let's see if they're interested.

OCKLAWAHA

tufsu1

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 10:09:40 PM »
Where is Valley Forge?

near Philadelphia  :D

Bativac

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 02:55:25 PM »
Bumping an old thread to mention the home that stjr mentioned in his post, Marabong. I was walking the dog thru Empire Point when my wife pointed out this house. We were impressed and when we got home, I Googled the address. This link: http://bigelowsociety.com/rod2000/jackvil7.htm has as much info as you would ever want about that house.

Really neat to be able to stumble upon something like that while you're out roaming the neighborhood! I urge anybody in the area to walk over and check it out. The pool is easily seen from the street.

stjr

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 11:36:03 AM »
Nice followup, Bativac.  Add the Lehigh University founder to the ranks of prominent citizens that have passed through Jax at one time or another.  Thanks. 

A short distance southwest of Marabanong, Asa Packer, founder of Lehigh University, purchased a site in 1881 on Hazzard's Bluff. But Packer and his son, who had encouraged his interest in the property, both died soon thereafter, leaving the property to his daughter. Mary A. Packer, who married a wealthy industrialist, Charles A. Cummings. She named the site "Keystone Bluff" in honor of her home state of Pennsylvania. The original building on the property burned in 1890 and was replaced by a twelve-room house. Over the years, additions to the property included stables, a bowling alley, carpenter's shop, laundry. boathouse, and a concrete swimming pool. Mrs. Cummings died in 1912, leaving the property to St. Johns Episcopal Parish. The house and the bowling alley, moved from their original location, form part of the Episcopal High School campus.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 10:40:02 PM »
Site of Bishop Kenny High School in 1947
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Noone

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 07:15:07 AM »
The water front public access street end at Holmesdale Ave. would be an awesome pocket pier for Dist.4

Palmer Terrace Park is an awesome kayak launch for Dist.4

The pictures capture it.

If I had to bet I'd put my money on Dist. 5 and that will be the first district in Jacksonville that could receive FIND money for the first pocket pier (floating dock) in Duval county that will tell the state to Visit Jacksonville, Visit Downtown, Visit our St. Johns River our American Heritage River.

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »
My greatgrandfather, Simon Peter Higginbotham owned considerable acreage in St. Nicholas.  West of Greenlawn  Cemetery to at least adjacent or including the area on which Southgate Plaza was built.  He was a farmer/fisherman.  My grandmother's house was built on some of that land.  On the corner of Beach and LaMee Ave.  Back in the 50's, when Beach Blvd was widened that house was partially taken over and used for offices by those in charge of the construction.
We used to go shrimping on the river at Holmesdale Rd.

FlaBoy

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »
http://news.wjct.org/post/business-brief-overland-bridge-project-could-make-st-nicholas-area-next-brooklyn

Ennis commented on the general St. Nicholas area. Do you think we can see the commercial strip on Beach revitalize in the near future?

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 09:12:59 PM »
Brooklyn isn't even finished becoming Brooklyn and now there is a 'new Brooklyn' becoming Brooklyn.

Well, gee golly gosh