Author Topic: Company offers 60 new jobs if JEDC provides incentives  (Read 2593 times)

fsu813

Company offers 60 new jobs if JEDC provides incentives
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:31:06 AM »
A St. Louis company that provides computer services to defense contractors is considering Jacksonville for a branch operation that would employ 60 people at an average wage of about $58,000.

The Jacksonville Economic Development Commission is scheduled Wednesday to consider approving up to $240,000 in state and city financial incentives for Systems Service Enterprise if it picks Jacksonville for the company’s expansion.

The city’s share of the incentives would be up to $48,000 and the state would pay the rest. The incentives would be provided over a four-year period and would be contingent on the company hitting targets for employment and wages. Systems Service Enterprise would employ 30 people by the end of 2010, then add another 20 employees in 2011 and 10 more by the end of 2012.

The firm could opt to expand at it St. Louis headquarters but “Jacksonville is attractive to SSE because of the strong aviation and defense contractor industries and potential for these industries to grow,” according to a JEDC staff summary.

Founded in 1966, the company is a custom software development company providing training and programming services, according to JEDC.

It is eligible for the incentives because information technology is one of the state’s targeted industries, and the wages 50 percent higher than the average wage statewide.

http://jacksonville.com/business/2010-02-08/story/company_offers_60_new_jobs_if_jedc_provides_incentives

fsu813

Re: Company offers 60 new jobs if JEDC provides incentives
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »
Hopefully this is a no-brainer.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »
Make the incentives contingent on the company locating close to the core.  60 people isn't much, but it could set an important precedent.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:40:56 AM »
Good job JEDC, just imagine how many more like this we would attract with a master jet base to compliment our new carrier wings...  Imagine...

OCKLAWAHA

mtraininjax

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 01:51:12 AM »
St. Louis Defense contractors....hmmm... which aernautical company has a large presence in St. Louis? McDonnell/Douglass/Boeing??????
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

jandar

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »
Make it either downtown or near NAS JAX and I say go for it.

downtownjag

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »
St. Louis Defense contractors....hmmm... which aernautical company has a large presence in St. Louis? McDonnell/Douglass/Boeing??????

I think you were asking what company the article is referring to... Systems Service Enterprise, it says it in the article.  60 jobs would be great downtown, that could dry up about 15k of office space!

rjp2008

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 01:15:28 PM »
I would say go for it, but require them to be downtown.

samiam

• The greenest house is one that is already built
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 02:52:10 PM »
Does anyone know any details about the contract. I wonder if it aviation, surface warfare or nuclear
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:02:50 PM by samiam »

samiam

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »
With the vast number of retired military here in Jacksonville it would be easy for them to fill jobs that require a specific skill set (subject matter experts)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:08:13 PM by samiam »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »
I am a SME from way back... ;)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

samiam

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »

duvaldude08

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 11:35:05 PM »
Per the Jaxdaily record, everything has been approved by JEDC and the company will be coming to Jacksonville.  (upon city council approval). Their spokesperson also stated that they are going to definaltely be located downtown, which is great news!
Jaguars 2.0