Author Topic: Ruins of Jacksonville: Main Street  (Read 5239 times)

samiam

• The greenest house is one that is already built
Re: Ruins of Jacksonville: Main Street
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Thanks Dan, do you have any idea what year it changed from Helen St.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:31:21 PM by samiam »

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 10:15:42 PM »
I believe it was named after wharf market, at the river. Market St in Springfield was originally Helen St.

There was a red light district on market that the locals referred to as the "meat market;" thus naming it market street.

"HU"

JUST KIDDING LOL!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

samiam

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 10:22:37 PM »
There is some truth to that, Market street from 4TH to 7TH was was hooker centeral for about 20 years starting in the early 80's, The last holdouts where driven off by me in 2006

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 11:37:12 PM »
Sorry guys, but this isn't how market street got it's name. While there might have been a red light district somewhere on it in the far north of Springfield, the street would have been long established. In fact Market is one of the two first streets platted for the new "City of Jacksonville."

Before incorporation, there was a fairly close group of farms located on the North bank of the St. Johns River. This would date from about 1800 to 1830. Besides farmers, and a few range rancher, we had a few fishermen, there were blacksmith's, ferryman, Indian traders, sailors, teamsters, wheelwrights, etc... on the various local plantations. Otherwise the area's claim to fame is "The Cow Ford." When we finally got a buyer or trader of produce here, he opened a small Market under a large Bay Tree. This was at the corner of today's BAY and MARKET STREETS.  This is where the first survey of the new incorporated City of Jacksonville started at the benchmark located there today.

There was a hot red light district in the old hotels on Houston Street, just a block north of the Jacksonville Terminal.

OCKLAWAHA

samiam

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 11:48:26 PM »
Way cool OCK Thank you
I have been looking for that info for years. To bad we cant recreate a market like Charleston
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:58:55 PM by samiam »

samiam

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 11:56:51 PM »
Now I'm confused, But I did find evidence of a prior house under a house I am working on now. I found a brick pier that did not support anything and the bricks where huge compared to the ones used for the current house. The current house was built in 1914

Miss Fixit

Ruins of Jacksonville: Main Street
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 01:03:19 PM »
Thanks Dan, do you have any idea what year it changed from Helen St.

Sometime before 1897.  Hubbard Street was then known as Adeline and Main was Pine.

sheclown

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
Great article and exciting pictures.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 01:30:14 AM »
There was a hot red light district in the old hotels on Houston Street, just a block north of the Jacksonville Terminal.
Hate to tell ya bob, but the one thing that is true about the post is that the Red Light District was on Houston Street.

There were farms here, no mistake about it.  But there was way more housing and infrastructure to support the turpentine, logging, and furniture making industries here than previously guessed about...

Don't know why you'd "hate to tell me..." I was responding to HU's prostitution on Hubbard comment?? Anyway, we're on the same page about Houston Street, absolutely the best, I mean deplorable.

The time frame I'm speaking of in the 1820's was really before we saw any industrialization. We actually didn't even have a town, more like some fairly close neighbors, eventually enough to support a little market. Again we agree completely, by the War of Yankee Aggression, the place was a booming metropolis.

OCKLAWAHA

finehoe

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 08:38:56 AM »
What retards the understanding of the history...

Oh, god, now Sarah Palin will be coming after you.

:D

sheclown

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 07:24:42 PM »
Would it make sense to have a "Main Street Association?"  A CDC responsible for Main Street from river to river?  An organization removed from neighborhood politics and focused on developing this one road, from river to river.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 08:06:26 PM »
No augment on that either Stephen, the city was home to a number of large sawmills and shipbuilding was key to our early success. Probably the most incredible sawmill story is the one I believe was around Talleyrand, when the Federal gun boats came up river, being from the "old country" he raised the Union Jack and spared his mill!

Several of the Federal occupation troops commented on the potential and industry of the town, setting the stage for a post war land rush. Why were we more like Jersey City then any other southern city? Easy, because at the end of the war we were flooded with Yankee's that remembered our perfect climate and business opportunities.

Frankly the ship building was a result of the great Water Oaks that grow in abundance here. When the Spanish first saw them they thought "corner the world furniture market." Too bad that they soon discovered that the Water Oak will split all to pieces if it is not wet...  WET! That was the Key! Wet! If you keep it wet it will not split! This was the start of the great ship building industry of Jacksonville. Keel's made of Water Oak were nearly as strong as steel and soon the worlds ship builders were begging for our hand.

OCKLAWAHA