Author Topic: Urban Core Vision Plan to be Unveiled  (Read 11838 times)

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
Re: Urban Core Vision Plan to be Unveiled
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2010, 08:46:19 AM »
If you look at the "Acknowledgements" page, JTA is no where to be found. It appears they were not invited to be part of this process. JTA's map for the future looks different than the ones proposed in this plan.

http://www.jtafla.com/futureplans/Media/PDF/TIM.pdf

http://www.jtafla.com/futureplans/

I am planning on attending the meeting.

cline

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2010, 09:02:08 AM »
The fact that JTA was not involved in this vision process is really really poor.  Since JTA is a major stakeholder, one would think they would have been included. 

tufsu1

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2010, 09:55:29 AM »
Even worse...from what I understand, this effort was managed by the Planning Department....and there is no mention of streetcars...yet the mobility plan being worked on right now (also being managed by the Planning Department) envisions streetcars.

stjr

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2010, 11:41:33 AM »
Compare Jax's "visioning" process to San Francisco's posted on another MJ thread.  Their planner has full say over ALL aspects of the urban core, from economic development and neighborhoods to transportation and city planning.  Until we have a UNIFIED and HOLISTIC, not piecemeal, process to Jax "visioning" and execution of same, we will continue to have chaotic and inconsistent planning and follow through.

I am no fan of JTA, but until we have something better, they need to be part of the process, even if they will muck it up.  At least, others will have a shot at fixing them.  The way it is now, it appears they are flying under many planner's radar.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

brainstormer

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2010, 01:52:55 PM »
Is there anyone in this city who has the balls to tackle this vision and not back down?  There are wonderful ideas in the document and enormous amounts of potential.  Priorities will have to be established and our city leadership must develop better communication.  It is exciting to think that Jacksonville could one day be a jewel on the St. Johns.  One of the past problems in Jacksonville is that developments are suggested and then approved and they don't fit into the vision.  We need a strong mayor to lead this effort and right now I'm not convinced any of those running have what it takes.

Now for a few comments and suggestions...

I'm surprised that the vision doesn't included bringing the Hart Expressway down to street level.  This will have to be either leveled or rebuilt in the next 25 years.  Personally I think the current raised expressway is ugly and separates the Sports complexes from the river.  I think it would be better to rebuild the Arlington expressway so that there was a ramp that directly connected to the Hart bridge.

The Hogans Creek expanded central park could be a beautiful addition to the urban core and could potentially be implemented soon.

I love the idea of developing Commodore Point and investing around the stadium/sports district.

I think with the push at the federal and state levels to invest in higher education, we need to think about trying to get a university or college downtown along the river.  I'm thinking about what Charlotte just accomplished with Johnson and Whales.  Is there any potential to rethink where Florida State College of Jacksonville fits into our urban core?  Could a larger downtown campus with possible residential components ever be possible?  Is there any demand for student housing?  Just something to think about.

Are the Met Park improvements the mayor has proposed going to support this vision or are we spending money on things now that we will tear up when we start something else?  This is a result of a lack of communication in city government.

Implementing elements of a vision should not have to require huge amounts of taxpayer funding!  We need to get more creative with incentives and stop spending money on useless things that don't support the vision.  One of our greatest assets is the amount of land the city owns.  We need to use this to our advantage.

In general, I'm excited about the future of Jacksonville, and quite pleased they are trying to create some sort of vision.

stjr

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2010, 02:21:28 PM »
Brainstormer, locating a college campus on the Shipyards property would both give Downtown a decent college campus and insure public access to the river with a sharing of a park and college sports field facility.

The trick is finding a college to relocate there.  We need JEDC to consider recruiting one to Jax just like they would recruit a company.  A college would have a far greater impact on the City, Downtown, jobs, and reversing any brain drains.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

tufsu1

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2010, 03:08:10 PM »
From whatI have been told, they pretty much stayed out of downtown with this Vision and left that to JEDC...which may explain why the Hart Expwy. was not addressed

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2010, 05:31:11 PM »
Personally, I would have liked to see more focus on Urban Core neighborhoods like Durkeeville, Brentwood, Panama Park and the Eastside.  Outside of the port area, it seems most of the focus was centered around Springfield and the former Sugar Hill area.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:04 PM »
Personally, I would have liked to see more focus on Urban Core neighborhoods like Durkeeville, Brentwood, Panama Park and the Eastside.  Outside of the port area, it seems most of the focus was centered around Springfield and the former Sugar Hill area.

Are any of those areas in the Urban Core Planning District/CPAC - except Eastside?
Boundaries Location of District 1 in Duval County 
West: Margaret Ave. to I-10 to I-95 to Myrtle Ave. to King Rd., to Spires St. to 13th to Fairfax to CSX RR to Spires to Moncrief Creek to Golfair Blvd. to Pearl to CSX RR to Winona Dr., to Evergreen to Long Branch Rd. to St. Johns River.
South: I-95 to Bee Street to St. Johns River
East: St. Johns River
North: Moncrief Creek to Golfair Blvd. to Pearl to CSX RR to Winona Dr., to Evergreen to Long Branch Rd. to St. Johns River.

And they are so much on the geographic fringe of their "parent" CPACs that they would pay much attention to them.  Perhaps the Planning Districts need to be redrawn - I think they've been the same since the 1970s.

brainstormer

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2010, 07:06:21 PM »
^tufsu, there in lies the problem.  No one is really in charge.  Why do we have so many freakin' groups in this city that are in charge of something, but not really.  The planning councils, development commissions, advisory committees, JTA and all the other groups have gotten to the point where nothing gets done and there is zero communication.  There is nothing wrong with having a small vision for Hogan's Creek or Commodore Point, but shouldn't transit and roads be included in the large picture?  Transit and mobility is what connects each little area to all the others.  Why aren't we all working together on one large map?  Why does each little group live in a bubble.  We all live in the same city!!!

tufsu1

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2010, 07:51:15 PM »
^tufsu, there in lies the problem.  No one is really in charge.  Why do we have so many freakin' groups in this city that are in charge of something, but not really.  The planning councils, development commissions, advisory committees, JTA and all the other groups have gotten to the point where nothing gets done and there is zero communication.

Its actually quite simple...the Planning Department is staff for everything outside of downtown, which is handled by JEDC...then onto the Planning Commission...and finally to City Council....this is pretty similar to how every community in FL does it.

That said, I will agree that often there seems to be zero communication.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:52:57 PM by tufsu1 »

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2010, 09:34:01 PM »
If you look at the "Acknowledgements" page, JTA is no where to be found. It appears they were not invited to be part of this process. JTA's map for the future looks different than the ones proposed in this plan.

http://www.jtafla.com/futureplans/Media/PDF/TIM.pdf

http://www.jtafla.com/futureplans/

I am planning on attending the meeting.

I'd love it, y'all just tell us when these things happen and I'll show up. The JTA board as well as the planning meetings need to be on some sort of calender. I wish we could create an interactive MJ calender.

By the way FSUJAX, Who did the cross-hatches on the map http://www.jtafla.com/futureplans/Media/PDF/TIM.pdf showing the CSX/Commuter Rail west of town toward Beaver in red? Both that spot and several other show an alternating cross hatch on the red line... Does the JTA planners even know that solid, equidistant cross hatches are ALWAYS used for standard gauge railroads, and alternating cross hatches are ALWAYS used for narrow gauge. TRUE!  Maybe someone is trying to tell us something? Otherwise do we just calculate whoever drew the map doesn't know that much about rail?

OCKLAWAHA

brainstormer

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2010, 09:46:54 PM »
Its actually quite simple...the Planning Department is staff for everything outside of downtown, which is handled by JEDC...then onto the Planning Commission...and finally to City Council....this is pretty similar to how every community in FL does it.

That said, I will agree that often there seems to be zero communication.

You make it sound so simple and easy. :)  Perhaps we need to rethink how JTA interacts with the planning department and JEDC.  Maybe instead of building JTA new offices we should move them into city hall so the communication could be improved.  Centralized gov't sounds like a good idea to me and it would save a ton of money.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2010, 12:14:01 AM »
^^ That is why strong mayors get their way in most cities. Even here when Peyton wanted fees and the council was hesitant he got them.  If your mayor really wants it you get it.
Lenny Smash

wasworsethanyou

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2010, 12:58:50 AM »
Residential buildings with store fronts... that'd be a good step in the right direction... No more building offering nothing to pedestrians