Author Topic: Weinstein bags endorsements  (Read 1479 times)

vicupstate

Weinstein bags endorsements
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:33:35 AM »
If there was any doubt, it is certainly gone now, that the small band of 'good old boys' that runs this city have annointed Mike Weinstein to be the next state rep.

So is this a stepping stone to running for Mayor in 4 years, or Weinstein settling for 'half a loaf'?  Anybody hearing anything about that?  BTW, if you haven't already, check out the 'upsets can happen' thread. There is a definite relevance to this situation.

Weinstein bags two key endorsements

07/25/2007

by Mike Sharkey

Staff Writer

State Rep. candidate Mike Weinstein has yet to draw an opponent in his bid for the Dist. 19 seat currently held by Dick Kravitz. This week, Weinstein got two endorsements that just may deter anyone from running against him.

Both the Jacksonville Fraternal Order of Police and the Jacksonville Association of Firefighters publicly announced their support of Weinstein. Given that the election is more than a year off, the endorsements did come as a surprise. He said it was unusual to get endorsements of this magnitude when an election is more than a year out.

“I’m very pleased,” said Weinstein, who is the president of Take Stock in Children. He did note that qualifying is less than a year away. “It’s unusual, but it matches the leadership of the House (of Representatives).”

In the past few months, Weinstein has received the support of Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio and his two successors, State Reps. Ray Sansom and Dean Cannon.

Weinstein and Michael Munz, vice president of The Dalton Agency — which is acting as both Weinstein fundraiser and general consultant — both said the two endorsements will make it difficult for anyone to enter the race to succeed Kravitz, who cannot run again due to term limits.

“It’s a huge message-sender,” said Munz.

“It’s sobering for others to think about getting into a race against a candidate with lots of support financially and lots of grassroots support,” said Weinstein.

FOP President Nelson Cuba said Weinstein’s 15-year track record with the State Attorney’s Office and 30-year local community activism makes the endorsement logical.

“Mike has always been supportive of law enforcement and involved in state and local politics,” said Cuba. “When he gets elected, he will hit the ground running. I can see him in a leadership role immediately. He’s a natural choice for anyone in law enforcement and anybody who votes.”

Weinstein said he’ll spend the next five-plus months raising money and gathering support. He said he’d like to have $200,000 in his campaign account by the end of the calendar year.

“I will continue to go to the appropriate meetings, both the Republican Party and civic meetings, in St. Johns, Clay and Duval counties and continue to raise funds,” said Weinstein. “I want to have two good quarters, this one and the next.”

Okay, let me get this straight.  Mike Weinstein has NEVER held elected office, the positions  (private and public)he has held (DA, JEDC) have no direct impact on Police or Fire operations in terms of funding, benefits, operations,etc.  Yet Nelson Cuba says “Mike has always been supportive of law enforcement ".  Gee, don't you think it might be a good idea to at least see who else gets in the race?  Maybe a retired Fire or Police Captain was giving it some thought.  I suppose having been a District Attorney brings a certain insight into Law Enforcement, but Fire fighting? Besides, maybe some other DA would have gotten in the race too.  Oh, I forgot, that OTHER candidate might not be someone they can control.

I especially love this quote,  “It’s a huge message-sender,” said Munz.
Isn't this the same Munz that gets his way to nullify city ordinances regarding retail space and tree protection DT?  Why yes, I do believe it is.   

I can only hope that one day, enough people in JAX that actually give a shit about what happens in their  city, will send their own "huge message' to the Hightower 's and Peyton's and Munz's that democracy isn't for sale.   

Jax may have gotten rid of the stench from the paper mills, but the stench of it's politics lingers on.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
Re: Weinstein bags endorsements
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:49:17 AM »
This must be related to the little Peyton love letter Weinstein and friends sent in to the Times Union.
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,722.0.html

What a bunch of clowns.

jbm32206

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 07:32:57 PM »
This must be related to the little Peyton love letter Weinstein and friends sent in to the Times Union.
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,722.0.html

What a bunch of clowns.

I really have to agree with you on that!

spidey

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:25:35 PM »
What?  Is anyone really surprised?  They are just making good on their promise to put Weinstein in office if he wouldn't run against Peyton in the last Mayoral election.  They've squashed any other Republican that might have considered running....at least the ones who might have had any chance of winning.  That's the way the local Republican party is.  They eat their own if'n they don't obey.

vicupstate

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 09:33:36 PM »
Surprised no, although it was a little SOONER than I expected, since the election is so far off.

Disappointed, yes, but I have started to get use to it.  It happens quite often lately.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln