Author Topic: Letter to the Editor Praising Peyton  (Read 1472 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Letter to the Editor Praising Peyton
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:07:29 AM »
Peyton praised for foresight

As former city of Jacksonville officials - council president and finance chairman, sheriff and chief finance officer for two administrations - we have taken an interest in the activities of the government under Mayor John Peyton.   

Since his election in 2003, the mayor has enhanced public safety, while keeping taxes low and maintaining the culture of fiscal responsibility that is one of our city's most valued traditions. It has not always been easy.

Jacksonville's citizens have benefited financially from our city's fiscal discipline for years. We have enjoyed the lowest millage rate of any large Florida city.

We have not been charged fees for services, such as trash collection and stormwater management, that are charged in many of the state's other communities.

Tallahassee's actions have required Peyton and the City Council to look at the way our city government collects revenue, specifically on our dependence on property taxes.

The Legislature has proved that property taxes are no longer a predictable source of revenue, and we must diversify.

The mayor has asked the City Council to review and approve a budget that gives taxpayers the biggest property tax rollback since consolidation.

The budget institutes a new fee structure to provide the diversification of revenue that is so important to our future.

These fees are moderate in scale, phased in over time and do not impact any one group disproportionately.

Taken together, the fees and property tax reductions are a good way to meet future obligations and challenges.

They will help ensure that our local government has vital funding for public safety, while maintaining other core services that protect our quality of life.

As we know, voters will consider a constitutional amendment in January that could result in cuts that would be unimaginable as recently as six months ago.

Preparing for this possibility, and any future action by the Legislature, is critically important.

We credit Peyton for his foresight, hard work and stewardship for our citizens and our city.

MATT CARLUCCI,

NAT GLOVER,

MIKE WEINSTEIN

Jacksonville

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Letter to the Editor Praising Peyton
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:07:46 AM »
Wow.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:22:07 AM »
Wow, Weinstein has done a complete 180 degree turn since this time last year.  I wonder what event happened in his life to make him flip flop faster than Jim Kerry?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 12:22:05 PM »
I wonder what the incentive was for any of these men to sign this letter.  The cynic in me suspects a political payoff to one or more of them.

While I think Peyton has been not been up to the task of being Mayor, and that is being nice, I don't have any particular argument with this latest budget.  He should have cut the city council and Mayor's office staff budget more, but other than that, I can't find TOO much fault with it. 

The whole mess is Crist's and the legislature's nonsense, it is not of Peyton's making.  In the end, the taxpayer's will pay about the same amount, but it will be partially in fees rather than taxes alone.  BTW, fees are NOT Income Tax deductable, whereas Property taxes ARE.  THANKS CRIST !! How about minding the STATE store and leave the local issues to the local officials. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 05:37:01 PM »
Agreed on that note - I'm not a fan of Peyton, but I can't blame him for this impending disaster of "property tax reform"