Author Topic: Rowlab  (Read 6223 times)

ac

Rowlab
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:50:23 PM »
Did Rowlab close?  The Mrs. was interested in getting my niece some sort of science project kit, and figured they'd be the best place.  I thought it used to be on Art Museum drive, but all my searches show an OP address, and there's not info in google or yahoo maps.

If Rowlab is no longer with us, is there another local option other than Wally World/big box?

stjr

Re: Rowlab
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:43:44 PM »
Rowlab... now that's a name I haven't heard in a while.  I went to elementary school with the owner's, Mr. Rowland, son, and, needless, to say, whenever our science teachers wanted a neat science demonstration, they knew who to call.  He had model rockets, the biggest baking soda/vinegar volcano around, the electrostatic metal balls, etc.  All cutting edge /great novelties back in those days.  Mr. Rowland inspired many a science student and almost all science fair projects started at his unique store downtown.  I remember him as kind of a Mr. Rogers of science as even his physical presence was similar it seems.

Below is a tip to his death by the TU in 2000.  And, yes, he was also a big time astronomer.  I actually went to a few meetings of the Astro Gators Astronomy Club in the old Jax Childrens Museum (now MOSH) mansion on Riverside Avenue next to Memorial Park.  Somewhere, I may even have my membership card!

Ernest Rowland, owner of Rowlab, a scientific hobby shop that many students turned to for help with science fair projects, died at 80. Rowland organized the Astro Gators astronomy club, was host of a weekly cable television show that emphasized the fun side of research and organized regional science fairs.
http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/123100/met_5011519.html

A Google search turned up these two apparent successor companies, but neither appear active or have current web sites that I could find.

Rowlab Scientific Supply Inc.
2175 Kingsley Avenue
Orange-Park, FL 33065
USA
Phone: (904) 276-8170
Distributor imaging software.
Incorporated by Miriam M Trimble, Rowlab Scientific Supply II, Inc. is located at 995 University Blvd N Jacksonville, FL 32211. Rowlab Scientific Supply II, Inc. was incorporated on Thursday, January 23, 1997 in the State of FL and is currently not active. Miriam M Trimble represents Rowlab Scientific Supply II, Inc. as their registered agent.
904-745-3363  
Rowlab Scientific Supply, Inc.
995 University Blvd. N.
Jacksonville,   Florida
United States

Phone Number: 904-745-3363
Fax Number: 904-745-3523
Contact Name: Roger M. Rowland
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 09:46:40 PM by stjr »
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!