Author Topic: Nocatee Development Slowed by Recession  (Read 16195 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Nocatee Development Slowed by Recession
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:02:40 AM »
Nocatee Development Slowed by Recession

We've heard enough about downtown's struggles during this economic recession.  A trip to Nocatee shows the recession has had an impact on suburban development as well.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jan-nocatee-development-slowed-by-recession

copperfiend

Re: Nocatee Development Slowed by Recession
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:45:22 AM »
Not an uncommon site this area. I saw a development in Maclenny this weekend that had about 8 houses built and 30 or so empty lots. The houses were built 2-3 years ago.

Dapperdan

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:04:08 AM »
This area will rebound quickly, I beleive. i think all in all Nocatee is very good for St Johns County. It seems like the developers actually have long, thought out plans with business parks, recreation, and housing. Yes, it is still suburban to the core, but I think it is nicely done. Another CDD developement to live in if you don't mind paying fees out the ying yang.

copperfiend

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »
It's relatively close to the beach too.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:21:26 AM »
Its not my cup of tea but you guys are right.  All things considered, its a step above typical First Coast suburbia.  It will be interesting to see how Nocatee's future plays out and what impact it has on the surrounding infrastructure network.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

finehoe

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:22:43 AM »
Can't these places hire some innovative architects instead of recycling the same tired old designs?

Overstreet

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »
............Can't these places hire some innovative architects instead of recycling the same tired old designs?...........

Sure, but the cost usually goes up to do that. Then too some neighborhoods keep individual house designs within a certain style range of designs to make the neighborhood look planned and not helter skelter.

I do know of a development, not Nocatee,  that hired out of town name brand architects and interior designers from around the country to design each building in the business district. They were innovative. However the project met the same fate when the housing market bottomed. Delayed by the economy.

finehoe

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 11:47:30 AM »
The photo that inspired my comment was the one right before the "Coming Soon Publix" picture.  That same building has been built about ten thousand times everywhere in the country.

stjr

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 12:54:03 PM »
The best thing, to me, about Nocatee is the preservation lands and the heavy tree plantings along the roadways.

Unfortunately, this pales in comparison to what the natural landscape offered before Nocatee arrived.  The rape and destruction of the unique forest of palms in Palm Valley at the bridge by FDOT was just a precursor of things to come.  Another part of old Florida forever lost.  Sad, very sad.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

north miami

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »

We need new land use designations:

P T J P W N U  (Preserving The Jurisdictional Protected Wetlands Not Uplands)

FLUM BD    (Future Land Use Map Be Damned)

H S U        (Human Storage Unit)

L W I         (Live With It!)  And a Nocatee ad theme-directed at opponents ??

tufsu1

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 05:34:40 PM »
so...is this sprawl or not...and why?

stjr

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 06:17:34 PM »

At 13,323 acres about 20 miles from Downtown in the middle of former forests and wetlands, need you ask?
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

north miami

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »

At 13,323 acres about 20 miles from Downtown in the middle of former forests and wetlands, need you ask?

.......and substantial deviation from County Growth management process-FLUM- then recently adopted Future Land Use Map.Denied by PZB.

The bold move ushered in a decade of radical DRI sweep and other actions.

Under reported, time will reveal details.St.Johns county recent former PZB member David Wiles commands a clear grasp of the provocative narrative.

north miami

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 10:34:57 AM »

**** Note To Stephen Dare****  A glimpse of Nocatee narrative:

Check  metrojacksonville@metrojacksonville.com incomming email-sent this am.Note also the attachment.

-North Miami

Dog Walker

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »
Somehow Nocatee always reminds me of Palm Coast.  It was started by ITT back in the 70's and was going to be a whole new city complete with retail and jobs.  They had cheap pulp wood land to play with too.  Big bust!  Here we are thirty years or more later and it is still mostly vacant and has almost nothing but houses.  ITT is long gone and, if memory serves, wrote off tens of millions of dollars in losses over Palm Coast.
When all else fails hug the dog.