Author Topic: Washington DC goes Streetcar  (Read 6279 times)

jeh1980

Re: Washington DC goes Streetcar
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »
Another story ending on a bum note?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:33 PM »
Nope.  Its a story that ends with a question.  Its up to Jax to decide on how the end will ultimately be written.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
I'll never understand why people get so upset about the wires. I guess I just like the way they look.

Through Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco, they are attached to the street lights. Pretty simple.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »
^It could be worse.  The DC delegation should visit Bay Street....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

A-Finnius

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 10:21:40 PM »
I was in DC in September and their subway system is impressive.  I'm sure their streetcar system will follow suit.  Maybe Jacksonville can offer up a trade to DC for their mayor. 

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »
Imagine a street car down Bay Street or one that goes past the Landing or both.

stjr

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 10:55:40 PM »
Unfortunately, Jax was sucker punched a few decades ago with "easy money" from the Feds and bet on the wrong horse, the $ky-high-way.  Had we turned down that money, today we would probably already have a far more useful and economic development friendly streetcar system.

You can thank the $ky-high-way for sucking the wind from the sails of Jax rail transit (not to mention scarring Downtown advancement) by diverting both money and political capital from these far better transit alternatives.  That is why I insist killing the $ky-high-way is the first big step toward getting ideas like streetcars to become reality here.  For now, Jax is a one horse town and its time we rode the winner and got off the loser.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 11:27:23 PM »
Uh Oh, here we go again... at least we can't say the city wasn't warned! After which they ran me out of town! hee hee!

All the Skyway horse needs is a decent pasture, and a vet to do a thuough checkup. We're going to do an article shortly with information that is going to blow a hole in EVERYTHING said before. JTA and City Hall, better hang on to your hats!

Step two is to completely interegrate the Streetcar with a minimal Skyway, both provide frequent clean electric transit. The Skyway really would be the "express" and the Streetcar the frequent median or curbside feeder.

OCKLAWAHA

stjr

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »
All the Skyway horse needs is a decent pasture, and a vet to do a thuough checkup.

A "green" pasture of $14 million a year or $20,000 a year per "horse rider".  And, when the horse has a broken leg (or, in this case all of its legs), the vet needs to put it out of its misery by shooting it.  We are way past checkups!  This horse can't be cured! :D
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 12:13:23 AM »
Another story ending on a bum note?

Not at all, that photo is an unused section of railroad in Springfield, no longer even connected to the mainlines. This stuff is all over Jacksonville, making us the city with a golden opportunity to build a heritage streetcar system, below normal budget. This ends in VISION!

You really to take a deep breath, perhaps stjr and Jandar, should spend some minutes in a simpiler time, so THINK STREETCAR and... well... Just watch what can happen!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vouFPPmjdy8&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca&amp;border=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vouFPPmjdy8&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca&amp;border=1</a>

OCKLAWAHA

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 09:49:09 AM »
Will we see anything here in Jacksonville Fl within the next 10 years? And Great Story.

Johnny

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 11:02:29 AM »
I just got back from New Orleans and spent an entire day using only the street car for transportation. I'm not typically a public transit guy, but we had a blast and for $5 per person, it was all you can ride all day. Very cool setup and the lines are arranged to get anywhere you need to go with connections along the way. I don't expect our small minded government to be swayed, but I have had it up to here of all government entities taking our tax dollars and spending it on ridiculous pet projects.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 04:41:50 PM »
I just got back from New Orleans and spent an entire day using only the street car for transportation. I'm not typically a public transit guy, but we had a blast and for $5 per person, it was all you can ride all day. Very cool setup and the lines are arranged to get anywhere you need to go with connections along the way. I don't expect our small minded government to be swayed, but I have had it up to here of all government entities taking our tax dollars and spending it on ridiculous pet projects.

Wow Johnny, just wait until JTA rolls out it's unique "Trolley Boat" project... THAT'LL TEACH YOU!

OCKLAWAHA

CS Foltz

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 06:06:13 AM »
Trolley Boat? I hope to god your pulling my leg Ock...........but having seen JTA in action......anything is possible! I would have thought they had a "Submarine Line" in the works. But you can't advertise on that system so maybe not.....I got one.....how about a moving tethered Ballon system, that way the advertising can be seen for miles and miles?

Johnny

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 10:52:52 PM »
Hey, a trolley boat would be better than BRT... sorry, I just don't ride buses. I'd just bring a fishing poll and troll to the connection points ;)