Author Topic: Ruins of Jacksonville: The Ambassador Hotel  (Read 32442 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Ruins of Jacksonville: The Ambassador Hotel
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:10:52 AM »
Ruins of Jacksonville: The Ambassador Hotel

The Ambassador Hotel originally opened in 1924 as 310 West Church Street Apartments, the first upscale apartments in downtown Jacksonville. Then, in 1944, it was converted into a hotel and renamed Three-Ten Hotel.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-oct-ruins-of-jacksonville-the-ambassador-hotel

Lucasjj

Re: Ruins of Jacksonville: The Ambassador Hotel
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:41:32 AM »
Maybe someone with renovation experience can answer this, but from the looks of those pictures is 8 million a realistic estimate to restore that place?

Hurricane

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 08:17:29 AM »
Has the city stated that they would help out with the $4M?  I'm sure the owner won't actually start construction until that is a guarantee...

Hurricane

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 08:20:34 AM »
My estimate is that $8M is enough to completely gut the place and make it look newer.  It is probably not enough money to completely start from scratch for all of the MEP (mechanical, electrical, plumbing).  I seriously doubt that they can re-use anything in there now, and I also doubt the budget is realistic to install all brand new MEP.  But, in these times, you never know how low some of the sub contractors will go to get a job...

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 08:23:57 AM »
I can imagine that staircase being restored to its former glory. I hope they can get this done.

blizz01

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 08:25:46 AM »
Just add Zombies!

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:24:24 AM »
That place is a teardown.

vicupstate

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 09:36:59 AM »
^^  How can you say that based on a few pictures?  Simply hauling off all the debris will make it look 50% better. 

I only glanced quickly at the pictures, and I'm not an expert but I didn't see anything structural.

Cosmetic appearances mean nothing. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 09:48:48 AM »
The building appears to be structurally solid.  This is just what places look like when they have been abandoned for over a decade.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Cliffs_Daughter

• Don't make me come down there and smack someone.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
Always wondered what was inside that building... and considering it's almost Halloween, this interior is horror-fest-worthy.  I agree, structurally it seems pretty solid. every bit of wood and plaster needs to come out.

And HOW OLD is are those mini-stoves in the units?
Heather  @Tiki_Proxima

Ignorantia legis non excusat.

Overstreet

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 09:49:23 AM »
Renovating for lofts means that most of the "apartments" would be shell space with no finishes.  That reduces the cost to common areas and MEP to each space. There really isn't enough information here to determine the cost of the renovation. So from that we can say, sure $8 million will be enough.

When it doesn't work then we'd say..........Oh, you didn't say you wanted that.

A lot of the unknown would be remediation requirements. How much asbestos, fungus and mold does it have?  Then too we'd need square footage and conceptual layout of the building. Add to that the concept of the units.  These old buildings may look sound but they often have structural issues that suck up a lot of the initial money.

Dan B

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 09:58:41 AM »
That place is a teardown.

Are you freaking kidding me??? Did you not just spend the last few weeks berating SPAR, and Louise for being too willing to tear down structures???

Jacksonville had dozens of amazing hotels, and there are but a couple left, and you want to tear one of the last ones down????
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:05:54 AM by Dan B »

Paradox

• My Pix
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 10:04:54 AM »
It is a very restorable space inside. All the floors are intact and so are the walls and roof. All they need to do is strip everything inside and redo that and clean the outside. Put up some drywall, new ceilings, plumbing, elevators, flooring (carpet wood tile), fixtures, safety requirements, windows, then paint and clean everything. It is an honor to get my photos and writing featured again in Metro Jax ;) Thanks.

My hard drive died so I have not been able to get other location's pictures but hopefully more to come once I get my data back.

Sportmotor

• Sexy and I know it
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 10:07:44 AM »
Nicely done Paradox, I wish you woulda told me about this so I could have gone with you :P
I am the Sheep Dog.

Sportmotor

• Sexy and I know it
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 10:08:02 AM »
now go fix your bike!
I am the Sheep Dog.