Author Topic: The Northbank is Still Alive  (Read 4823 times)

Bewler

Re: The Northbank is Still Alive
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 03:17:48 PM »
The only thing you heard for blocks was music from LB's loudspeakers echoing off of all the closed-down store fronts.

Remember right before Burrito Gallery first opened and you could hear their speakers blasting similarly throughout the area? It was like, “What kind of phenomenon is this? TWO places!?! How can this be?”
Conformulate. Be conformulatable! It's a perfectly cromulent deed.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »
Sitting outside on the corner of Adams and Ocean was the place to be... :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

north miami

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 04:02:01 PM »
Wonderful photos...and not one night scene.

I am in a business that from time to time brings customers from all over the country to "Jacksonville Marina Mile" well inland and handy to Down Town.   www.jacksonvillemarinamile.com
It saddens me to see the emphasis shifted away from down town.The North Bank singled out.The negative observations and comments from customers,many from waterway oriented areas,are telling.
I realize this post reflects a 'negative' outlook.As a co founder of 'Marina Mile' I also hold zeal for the area- but I wonder if there ever will emerge a vibrant 'down town'.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »
I like the name "Marina Mile" for that area.  It has been quite the busy coner of town with boaters.

north miami

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 10:31:20 PM »
My comments today regarding the Northbank and Cecil development prospects must have been too detailed to induce comment.............

mtraininjax

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 09:00:05 AM »
Bewler has a GREAT IDEA, FCSJ or the old Fruit Juice college, could use the empty buildings as dorms. Why not? Get the state to purchase them, put people to work fixing them up, and grow the downtown presence. Fruit Juice would increase police downtown and we could have, at least more than half of downtown, from say Adams Street North bustling with students and people downtown after 5. I think its a great idea.

Does anyone have any idea what Dr. Steven Wallace, president of FCSJ has planned for downtown campus and dorms? We could put people back to work and really grow the school, a win win for downtown.

One of the best ideas I have seen for Jobs and Downtown in a while.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Seraphs

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
Excellent photos!  I enjoyed looking at them.

GENTRY

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 07:48:41 AM »
I'm a professional photographer and will tell you all that photos can be misleading. There's no doubt in my mind that these images were captured on a beautiful Friday mid-morning to sometime after 1-2 p.m. Why Friday you ask? Because that's when there's a crafts and produce fair in Hemming Plaza from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Also Friday at lunch time when people are out and about, going to eat or cash their checks. Okay sure the photos are misleading, however.

Wouldn't it be nice if every workday looked similar to the Friday in these images? It would be possible if we could get an injection of fresh thinking into the city council, along with a progressive thinking mayor and his or her staff. Only problem is that Jacksonville still has the old Cowford mentality and is afraid of change.

Dan B

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 11:41:06 AM »
But Gentry, in another thread, your calling for the demolition of one of the last remaining downtown grand hotels, which is EXACTLY how we got to where we are. Preserving ones history does not run counter to being progressive.

mtraininjax

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 05:21:02 PM »
I go to the Landing now for Chicago Pizza. 80 TVs, college football, I'm hooked. If more chains or stores could draw enough people for events (downtown art walk is great), we would have more stores, and more people downtown every day.

We are in the Great Recession right now, but I am hopeful that once we come out, we will see a change in how people enjoy downtown. I am already re-discovering my old friend, the landing, thanks to Chicago Pizza.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

JaxLanding

• The Jacksonville Landing
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 09:52:30 PM »
I go to the Landing now for Chicago Pizza. 80 TVs, college football, I'm hooked. If more chains or stores could draw enough people for events (downtown art walk is great), we would have more stores, and more people downtown every day.

We are in the Great Recession right now, but I am hopeful that once we come out, we will see a change in how people enjoy downtown. I am already re-discovering my old friend, the landing, thanks to Chicago Pizza.
Yay mtraininjax!  We're glad you are re-discovering us again!

I agree that there are good times and bad times that you could be out and about taking photos of downtown.  Sure - during a gorgeous Friday will reap better results, but I don't think that's the point at all.  The point is that we are growing and changing for the better.  We actually DO have days like this where people are walking around enjoying what downtown has to offer.   We may not be changing as fast as some of us want, but the main point is that we are!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 10:15:08 AM »
Can you post some info about the Boat Parade and fireworks this weekend?  I love this event and often get a room at the Hyatt for the best views
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »
Wonder how long mtrain had to wait to get shots where people were in the photos; not many people downtown even during the day.  Jax sure looks good in pictures.  I might be relocating back to my hometown soon; then I'll see all of you face to face one day.

Heights Unknown
???

I was born and raised in Jax "Jaxborn."  Spent 70% of my 20 year naval career in Jax.  I now live in the Tampa Bay area in Sarasota-Bradenton area.  Yeah, I'm not living in my town, but it is MY TOWN, where my heart is and where I was born and bred; will probably move back soon.

Have a good day.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

hillary supporter

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 11:18:54 PM »
I dont see much happening significantly with substantial retail and even residential growth downtown, on the north shore.  I think with the new presence of nightclubs and bars, along with activism of artists et al, could see a influx of artists looking for spaces, both musical and visual. and all others. New clubs like Sinclair and artists lofts like 226 n hogan tend to have me believe that. All other commerical development will continue along the 95 south corridor. It just has to be accepted as such. we had tonights musical festival and there has a nice, not huge , but artistic crowd out. accordingly i see small stores coming around 2nd hand after an artistic presence is firmly planted.
by far, the absolute jackpot would be to locate a significant higher education facility downtown. I feel, in retrospect, the loss of unf to the current southside, off the 95 corridor, was the worst thing that could or has happened for downtown jacksonville. whomever doesnt know, Unf was founded downtown in the early 70s.