Author Topic: Urban Theatre Group Produces A Very Sexy Rocky Horror  (Read 7034 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Theatre Group Produces A Very Sexy Rocky Horror
« on: July 02, 2007, 03:46:00 AM »
Urban Theatre Group Produces Rocky Horror

<BR /><BR /> Contrary to popular belief, Theatre in Jacksonville has always been a fairly interesting proposition, with a solid bedrock of fairly mediocre offerings being wildly supported by public funding and subscription that is nominally balanced out by one or another group of interesting and adventurous theatre people willing to produce independent and substantially superior work on shoestring budgets and nearly no audiences whatsoever.  In the late 70s through late 80s, the production of interesting theatre was primarily directed by one of the living legends of the Jacksonville theater scene, a terrible hobgoblin of such concentrated evil that his very name is enough to send shivers down the spines of whatever survivors of his tyrannical rule might be within earshot (not a common occurrence since his name seems to be the theatrical equivalent of Lord Voldemort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voldemort) ).  We are speaking of course, of Andrew Arnold (http://www.tuckborough.net/sauron.html), one of the most talented and daring theatre directors ever to draw a curtain in the state of Florida.  His theatre was in the heart of Five Points in the Five Points Theatre building, and it was called the River City Playhouse.<BR /><BR />Full Article<BR />http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/487
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 03:06:06 PM by stephendare »

soxfan

Re: Urban Theatre Group Produces A Very Sexy Rocky Horror
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 03:47:47 PM »
I'm glad to hear that the show is doing well. There is a group of about 12 from Springfield going to see the show on Friday the 13th. We are all going in costume!!! Should be an awesome time!!!!
Yankees suck!! Yankees suck!! Yankees suck!!

firestarter

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 05:45:11 PM »
Went to see this show as well!  Great time!

soxfan

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:33:41 PM »
Some of us met tonight to watch the original movie just to make sure of costumesand of course, just for the hell of it.. I think me and the Mrs. have watched it 5 times this week. I've gone from barely remembering Time Warp to knowing every word of Dr.Scott's "Unt I Did".. Never thought I'd ever admit to this in public... ;D ;D

downtownparks

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:15:26 PM »
The wife and I are going with the Springfield contingent as Brad and Janet when they first get to the castle... We are very much looking forward to it.

soxfan

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 06:26:23 PM »
We haven't watched the one with audience participation, but, we do know alot of it. I'm sure that there's alot that we don't know. I've been going to the RHPS website to get hints on how not to appear to be a virgin. We have been fans of the flick for a while but have never been to see it live. Looking forward to an excellent time...

soxfan

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 11:45:06 AM »
We did find out about the prop bags but were not told what they included. I had a list of things to bring but the people at the theatre said not to bother they had the props. We will be sitting at the high top tables on the balcony. I think we have like 2 or 3 tables.

downtownparks

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 11:19:11 AM »
It was fun. A crotch grabbing good time :-)

soxfan

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 08:47:35 AM »
We had a great time!!! I wish they had made more copies of the script, it seemed like only 2 people had them. We tried to get them when we went in and they had sold out. It was pretty cool how the cast interacted with the crowd though. It was really funny when someone from the crowd yelled the wrong line and the narrator yelled back at her to "get a fucking script!" it was hilarious..I missed some of the traditional features such as Riff Raff being the balding blonde humpback, but the show was great. It sort of seemed like the punk version of Rocky Horror. It was well done!!!