Author Topic: Let's Just get rid of All the Cops and Firemen! Where City Council Members Stand  (Read 1905 times)

stephendare

This helpful survey appeared in the times union to gauge the likely reaction to the devastating (to jacksonville, anyways) budget cuts being proposed by our gallant governor.

The future of the Westside?
a chilling look at events in the plant and nursery department of the Normandy Walmart the day after the budget cuts.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KJMxGFco57Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KJMxGFco57Y</a>

TO OVERRIDE OR NOT TO OVERRIDE: MOST DON'T YET KNOW
The Jacksonville City Council, which will have 10 new members as of Sunday, has the option of overriding the cut and cap portion of the new property tax law with 15 votes. Most council members haven't decided what to do.

CLAY YARBOROUGH
District 1
Phone: 630-1389
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? It's too early to know.
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Libraries, solid waste collection and maintain parks and local roads.
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? Revitalize the Arlington/Regency area. Try to attract new business investments to the area. Citywide, grow responsibly.

BILL BISHOP
District 2
Phone: 630-1392
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? "I haven't seen the mayor's budget proposal yet, so I don't know."
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? "Police and fire protection are No. 1. No. 2 is maintaining the physical infrastructure. We have to maintain roads and street lights [and] collect garbage."
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? Land planning, the city's comprehensive plan updates and transportation. The goal is "getting those things integrated into a cohesive plan so we know where we're taking this city."

RICHARD CLARK
District 3
Phone: 630-1386
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? "I have zero intention of overriding it."
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? "I don't know that anything is not a candidate for the cuts. When you're talking something of this magnitude, I don't know how you avoid it."
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? "We're about to embark upon an unprecedented amount of infrastructure. Those aren't the sexiest things in the world, but they're the things you rely on your government to provide."

DON REDMAN
District 4
Phone: 630-1394
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? "I'm non-committal on that right now."
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? "Each department head agrees there are things they can cut. Offhand, I can't come up with one [a core function]."
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? "To listen and fulfill the mission in my community. Zoning issues come up on a regular basis in my district, and the community has real concerns."

ART SHAD
District 5
Phone: 630-1382
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? Too early to say without seeing mayor's budget proposal.
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? "Infrastructure. You can go a year without paving roads. You can't go a year without police officers."
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? "The community service officers program has been a priority of mine. I would like to see the class we authorized last year funded."

JACK WEBB
District 6
Phone: 630-1388
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? No.
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Public safety is the only core function. Non-core functions that maintain quality of life include public works, public health, waste collection, libraries and parks.
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? Make sure the parks are in good quality, help craft new zoning code, work on traffic issues and secure funds to maintain access to Julington Creek and the river.

JOHNNY GAFFNEY
District 7
Phone: 630-1384
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? Did not respond to calls and an e-mail over two days.
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Did not respond to calls and an e-mail over two days.
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? Did not respond to calls and an e-mail over two days.

DENISE LEE
District 8
Phone: 630-1385
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? Not sure yet.
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Public works, sanitation, trash. Also services for senior citizens, such as activities at community centers.
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? Improve neighborhoods by reviewing projects on the capital improvements list and making sure they're being completed.

WARREN JONES
District 9
Phone: 630-1395
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? Would consider it if a budget review shows a need to override it.
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Prevention and intervention programs that keep people out of the judicial system, such as after-school programs and many public service grants.
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? Crime. And make sure parks are safe places for families and free of drugs.

MIA JONES
District 10
Phone: 630-1684
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? Hasn't decided yet.
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Quality-of-life services, such as programs that help seniors and the homeless. And affordable housing programs.
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? Look at services already being provided to make sure they're making a positive impact on the community and that no one is being left behind.

RAY HOLT
District 11
Phone: 630-1383
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? "It's a bit premature. I don't know that it will be necessary."
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Infrastructure. "Everything from road, drainage, services and libraries. Then you go on down the list and things get a little easier for you to say goodbye to."Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? Growth management: "I've got the largest and the most rural areas. There's a lot of growth that's waiting for the market to improve and we have to be ready for it."

DANIEL DAVIS
District 12
Phone: 630-1380
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? "I support keeping every option on the table at this point."
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Public works: "There's a movement to bring maintenance of park properties, right of ways and city properties under one umbrella to make sure we are good stewards of our assets."
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? "I want to bring a major focus on public-private partnerships and how they can be the answer to a lot of city problems. I want to focus on children that don't have the advantages" of other children.

ART GRAHAM
District 13
Phone: 630-1397
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? Did not respond to calls and e-mails over two days.
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Did not respond to calls and e-mails over two days.
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? Did not respond to calls and e-mails over two days.

MICHAEL CORRIGAN
District 14
Phone: 630-1390
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? "It depends on what the mayor proposes on the budget."
"Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? We have to ensure people's garbage is picked up, make sure there is adequate road infrastructure ... and have a legislative and an administrative function to oversee all of it."
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? "I want to continue rewriting the zoning code [and] ensure long-term stability of our government. We were making great headway until Tallahassee starting messing with local government."

JAY JABOUR
At-large
Phone: 630-1381
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? Hasn't decided yet. "I have to wait to see all the variables."
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Maintenance of our infrastructure, our buildings and parks.
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? School concurrency.

STEPHEN JOOST
At-large
Phone: 630-1396
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? "Right now my gut tells me we would override some portion of it."
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? "Infrastructure needs [and] transportation. Most people don't realize how critical transportation is to the country."
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? "I'd like to work on large, macro-economic issues that impact the entire city. And I have some ideas about affordable housing that I would like to work on."

RONNIE FUSSELL
At-large
Phone: 630-1393
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? Hasn't decided yet
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Infrastructure improvements and maintenance, solid waste collection, quality-of-life elements, such as air quality and growth management.
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? "I will work hard to see a continued job growth, a clear, concise and affordable plan for the courthouse, improve the quality of our river and parks."

KEVIN HYDE
At-large
Phone: 630-1398
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? Isn't sure yet.
Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Roads, drainage, lights and some level of social services, such as indigent health care and helping the disadvantaged.
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? A review of public safety issues to get an overall reduction in crime and make people feel secure. Continued work with [the] school system to make sure the city offers the best education.

GLORIOUS JOHNSON
At-large
Phone: 630-1387
Do you plan to vote to override the cut or cap? Did not respond to several calls over two days. Aside from public safety, what is a core city function that government must fund? Did not respond to several calls over two days.
Dealing with property tax reform obviously is a major issue this year. What else do you want to accomplish? Did not respond to several calls over two days.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 01:29:22 PM by stephendare »