Author Topic: Aquariums  (Read 26251 times)

stephendare

Aquariums
« on: June 03, 2007, 03:25:53 PM »

the World Famous Shedd Aquarium in Chicago
http://www.sheddaquarium.org/
How are we a navy town, on the ocean, with a huge river running through the middle of it and nothing at all relating to the aquatic nature of our city life?

Matt

• My Band!!!
Re: Aquariums
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 03:47:05 PM »
Yes yes yes we do need an aquarium...but isnt that the way our city works: ignoring our history, culture, and landscape?...or maybe demolishing it all for parking...either way :'(
My home is my body.
My protection is right action.

Matt

• My Band!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »
brilliant ;D
My home is my body.
My protection is right action.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Re: Aquariums "THE JACKSONVILLE TANK AUTHORITY?"
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 08:48:28 PM »
If we consolidated the JTA and the Aquarium into the JACKSONVILLE TANK AUTHORITY it would save a bunch of money. We could put tanks up and down all the downtown streets. Of course we wouldn't build them on any kind of fixed frame or guide. We would use diesel engines to keep the pumps running but if they fail, we would NEVER EVER use electric... Way too dangerous to allow JTA people to play with. The result would be maybe less then World Class, but hey, the citizens wouldn't know the difference!

Now I learn they have traced fish kill in the St. Johns River to a large garage facility off Bay and Myrtle... NO, Say it isn't so!

Ocklawaha
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:48:48 PM by Ocklawaha »

thebrokenforum

• Broken Sword Publications
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:04:54 AM »
How are we a navy town, on the ocean, with a huge river running through the middle of it and nothing at all relating to the aquatic nature of our city life?

Excellent point. An aquarium would a great addition to the city. Hell, I would settle for a state of the art aquarium instead of an amusement park. A nice one would give the city something positive to be proud of and draw in tourist money as well.

How does stuff like this (like the one in Chicago) get funded though? Privately?

David

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 11:40:43 AM »
man I joined metrojax to talk about the community, be proud of our city and whathave you, but sometimes you guys post articles that are so dead on about the way things are here....it makes me wanna move to an already established city! (oh right, that's what most people do)

either way, it does blow my mind how we don't even have an aqaurium. Atlanta has one and they're 300 miles from the ocean!

but ah hah...maybe it's because we already have the ocean nearby and that's why we dont need one? That's one weak argument.

naw....yea we need one. Either near the beach, almost on the ocean or downtown underneath the st johns! and it should be next to a musuem of naval history too.

*inputs cheat code* *buys everything jax needs*

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:01:18 PM »
With our track record it would be fun to see how this would turn out. Most likely we would study it like a giant. Design and locate it in a completely unrelated and disfunctional manner...some place like Union Terminal, or the Greyhound Station. We would build it by taking down 15 city blocks of buildings and then hit the classic snag that stalls the project for the next 20 years. In the end for all of our trouble we'd have a hot dog cart with a bowl of guppies. Welcome to Jacksonville Mr. Disney, just remember, "WE DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH CARNIVAL PEOPLE!"

A good streetcar project, would be done with heritage in mind, this would include the rebuilding of a "Dixieland" style 1920's ammusement park. Streetcars? Yeah, catch the spark!

Ocklawaha

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »
I have a sweet aquarium in my Sim City version of Jax.

David

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 03:11:06 PM »
I've never been able to do a good version of jax in sim city. The terrian usually turns out looking nothing like the st johns and surrounding area, plus I get too over-zealous and make everything high density.

Do you have a screenshot of your simcity jax?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
Yeah... lets see it!! :o
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 05:21:14 PM »
Well, my version doesn't look anything like Jax either.  More like Manhattan on the St. Johns.

I'll see if I can get one tonight when I get home.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 05:37:40 PM »
LoL.  It sounds like there's a bunch of us that are closet SimCity lovers.  All urban planners-in-training!  Hahaha!

Maybe we should donate several copies of SimCity 4 to JTA and City Hall and give them some on-the-job training!   ;D
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

David

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 06:13:17 PM »
Well, my version doesn't look anything like Jax either.  More like Manhattan on the St. Johns.

I'll see if I can get one tonight when I get home.

I might try to re-create jax again on sc4 tonight. Here's what I'll do:

Zone about 2% of the city for high density, make sure I place churches about 5 squares apart and zone the rest of the city as low density commercial & residential and a few patches of dirty industry in for good measure.

I'll make sure to keep the budget lean on education and make sure museums, cultural centers and tourist attractions are sparse and over-build roads, avenues and highways and won't dare attempt to use rail or lightrail and the bus-stops & monorail stations I do build, i'll make sure they're not located anywhere a sim would ever want to go!

After that, i'll have truckasarus-rex come and knock down all of the historical buildings...truckasarus is a metaphor you see...

copperfiend

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 07:18:15 PM »
I remember Hazouri talking about an aquarium many years ago. It only makes sense. I have been with my family to aquariums in Tampa, Atlanta, Gatlinburg and Baltimore. We always ask why we don't have one. Baltimore's is right on the harbor and had a submarine with tours available next to it. Next door is a Hard Rock Cafe, ESPN Zone, Barnes & Noble and Best Buy. Why couldn't we do that here?

thebrokenforum

• Broken Sword Publications
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 07:25:01 PM »
We could.