Author Topic: Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens  (Read 44300 times)

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Re: Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »
The Giraffe habitat is nice. Our zoo is landscape very well.

mtraininjax

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 08:12:39 AM »
100 degree heat, zoo animals, sounds like fun! I'll wait until the winter time.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2009, 08:33:57 AM »
It isn't that bad at the zoo in the summer. Besides if you wait till the winter you may risk seeing all the tropical vegetation they have planted there being brown and not in bloom. I think late summer/early fall is the best time to go.

blizz01

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »
I'll wait until the winter time.
- I'm just glad that you're at least willing to give it a go, mtrain.  :D

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 10:21:40 AM »
There are fewer crotchety old guys there in the summer...

avonjax

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 10:33:57 AM »
There are fewer crotchety old guys there in the summer...

yeah like mtrain who is crotchety about everything

blizz01

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 11:17:16 AM »
Zoo May Close, Euthanize Animals

BOSTON -- The Franklin Park Zoo, the only Boston institution of its kind, may be forced to close and euthanize some of its animals, zoo officials said Friday.

Seriously?

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/money/20021259/detail.html

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »
Q&A: Zoo's new director wants more volunteers, greener practices
In his third week, Tony Vecchio says Jacksonville feels like home

Tony Vecchio has moved into his corner office at Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens, the one overlooking the train tracks and cheetah exhibit. He’s in his third week as the zoo’s new executive director, coming from the same position at the other corner of the country: The Oregon Zoo in Portland, Ore.

He hasn’t really settled into Jacksonville yet. He’s living in an extended stay motel while his wife and children are back in Portland, trying to sell their house there. His son will start Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland this fall. His daughter will enter Douglas Anderson School of the Arts as a dancer.

The 54-year-old Vecchio, who replaces Dennis Pate, worked at his first zoo in his hometown of Pittsburgh. He’s also worked at zoos in South Carolina, Atlanta and Rhode Island before Portland and now Jacksonville.

Full Article:
http://www.jacksonville.com/lifestyles/2009-07-29/story/qa_zoos_new_director_wants_more_volunteers_greener_practices

I-10east

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 04:12:20 PM »
Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens has announced another record breaking year with attendance of over 849,000.

Commenting on the news Mayor Alvin Brown said, “With this new attendance record, the Jacksonville Zoo keeps getting bigger and better and more popular every year.  The Zoo is a precious community treasure, enhancing our quality of life and serving as a top tourist destination. It’s been a great Jacksonville tradition for 100 years, introducing a world of natural wonders to residents and visitors alike. Jacksonville wouldn’t be Jacksonville without our Zoo.”

Dr David S. Loeb, chair of the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens’ board of directors, added, “Seeing an increase of more than 33,000 visitors shows that Jacksonville recognizes the continuous transformation of our Zoo and that our community wants to grow with us. We are honored daily with every new and familiar face we see as we continue our mission and vision for another 100 years.”

This is the fourth year in a row that the Zoo has broken the previous year’s record, with new animals being a key driver for continued popularity.  This year Jacksonville Zoo has welcomed a new baby bonobo, marking the seventh bonobo birth at the Zoo since the species arrival in 1998.

Julianne Parish, mammal keeper at Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens explained that “Zoo staff is especially excited about this healthy, bonobo infant boy because he is Jo-T’s first offspring, and she is doing great as a new mom.  Very few zoos in the world have bonobos and she and her baby are very important to the small bonobo population.  Her son will likely remain with Jo-T for his entire life, as males in the wild rely on their mother’s status to ensure their place within the bonobo society.”

Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens is preparing for continued success with a raft of key strategic appointments made last year including Philip Alia as Deputy Director of Marketing and Community Relations, Leanne White as Curator of Education, Mike Taylor as Curator of Birds, Herps. and Others, and John Lukas as Conservation & Science Manager.

http://www.blooloop.com/news/record-attendance-and-bonobo-baby-for-jacksonville/31073#.VI9NRCvF_uI
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:14:50 PM by I-10east »

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2014, 05:06:15 AM »
That's great news

I-10east

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 07:27:39 PM »
The Jax Zoo is now launching RiverQuest River tours, Airboat & kayak adventures. This sounds awesome! I bet that not many zoos can claim to have an airboat. The Airboat ecotour is 30 minutes, and the kayak rental are 2 hours. As soon as this weather clears up, I gotta check it out! 

http://jacksonvillezoo.org/content.aspx?pageID=16486&CNM=RiverQuest%20Eco%20Tours

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 08:17:23 PM »
that is pretty cool.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 08:55:34 PM »
Yep that is. Great News!!!

jaxjaguar

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2015, 04:28:18 PM »
Trip Advisor reviewers have rated the Jacksonville Zoo 18th best zoo in the country!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Attractions-cZoos-g191

blizz01

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2015, 12:42:12 PM »
Is it possible to take the River Taxi to the Zoo from downtown spots?