Author Topic: Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens  (Read 43727 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 11:55:08 AM »
That might be a great expansion idea for the zoo... a manatee rescue enclosure.  Wounded or hurt manatees are brought to the zoo where they can stay in native habitat yet be fed and rehabbed from boat injuries all while people observe from the dock.  Of course you then sell manatee hats, pins, soft drinks, and various other worthless baubles to the enthralled crowds... 8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Shwaz

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 11:58:51 AM »
That might be a great expansion idea for the zoo... a manatee rescue enclosure.  Wounded or hurt manatees are brought to the zoo where they can stay in native habitat yet be fed and rehabbed from boat injuries all while people observe from the dock.  Of course you then sell manatee hats, pins, soft drinks, and various other worthless baubles to the enthralled crowds... 8)

^Great idea^

I said it beofre and still think a thrill ride would be a great addition to the zoo.

And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

copperfiend

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 12:04:32 PM »
The Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa had a great manatee exhibit last time I was there. We could do that here.

shanshan1218

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 03:28:47 PM »
I took my son in March for his birthday. I personally had not been in about 2 years. I was amazed at how much it has grown up! I love it!!

Tripoli1711

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 10:42:39 PM »
Did you all see how many people were on that train?  See.... passenger rail can definitely work in Jacksonville!

I-10east

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 02:54:49 AM »
I'm surprised that people aren't saying things like......

"The Jax zoo needs more walkability, and I hate that massive sea of concrete in the front! The Bronx, and SD Zoos has some upscale selections of Louis Vuitton bags in their souvenir shops; Why not Jax! I hate the gauge of track on Jax Zoo's train ride; It's too small! The animals at JZ are too lazy, and alot of times you can't even see them". LOL! :)

On the real, it's good to see that people are positive about the Zoo; I think that it's definitely underrated.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 03:06:28 AM by I-10east »

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 09:14:20 PM »
Credit is given where credit has been earned.

oreo0579

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 10:12:42 PM »
1. I have an annual membership which I enjoy using often.
2. The zoo's website states their size as 120 acres.
3. I-10 East - The animals may seem lazy to you, but most of them natually rest/sleep during the heat of the day. Consider changing the time of your visit next time.
4. Another plus for our community: Over 90,000 school children visit the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens each year
either on teacher- led field trips or to participate in formal education programs at the PepsiCo Education Campus.

I-10east

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
^^^I was just joking, the animals are fine; I was just imitating the pessimistic (some not all) MetroJax members. I'm sorry that I confused you. :)

jaxlore

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 12:46:29 PM »
i will admit whoever does the advertising for the zoo on I-95 rocks, rest of jax businesses need to take notice.

Shwaz

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 01:36:20 PM »
i will admit whoever does the advertising for the zoo on I-95 rocks, rest of jax businesses need to take notice.

I liked the billboard with one of the Jaguars on a leather couch that read "don't make us bring the zoo to you" :o
And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 04:18:54 PM »
It's a boy! Zoo welcomes birth of baby giraffe
The male calf was born Tuesday night

RICK WILSON/The Times-Union

The baby did not take to the physical exam easily. It bleated loudly and struggled when the handlers first got ahold of it. And it took three of them — one around its neck, two wrapping up its legs — to finally hold it still enough for the veterinarian to step in and begin his work.

Of course, the baby was less than two days old.

Jacksonville Zoo and Garden’s latest arrival is a giraffe, born Tuesday evening. At its first exam Thursday morning, veterinarian Nick Kapustin put on his glove, stuck his hand in, felt around and made the pivotal announcement: “It’s a male,” he said.

http://jacksonville.com/lifestyles/2009-07-09/story/its_a_boy_zoo_welcomes_birth_of_baby_giraffe

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »
Cool stuff.

I can't get enough of the Zoo.

copperfiend

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 05:08:42 PM »
I am going to Zoo Atlanta this weekend. We get half price admission because we are Jax Zoo members.

stephElf

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 05:12:29 PM »
ADORABLE!

i love, love, love the giraffe habitat

this is baby #2 born here right?