Author Topic: Urban Parks: Metropolitan Park  (Read 12035 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Parks: Metropolitan Park
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:00:27 AM »
Urban Parks: Metropolitan Park

Metropolitan Park is the centerpiece of Mayor Peyton's plan to add flex green space and revitalize the urban riverfront.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-jun-urban-parks-metropolitan-park

hightowerlover

Re: Urban Parks: Metropolitan Park
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 08:42:50 AM »
...and?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:01:19 AM »
No commentary.  Just images of another park space to go with the overall Urban Parks photo series.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:21:52 AM »
And again, I say:
Extend either the Skyway or a trolley down to that area, and *really* realize the "flex"ibility of that space.

$0.02
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

5PointsGuy

• Jaguars!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:35:45 AM »
Perhaps it's being featured because of the Mayor's new park plan?
4 Tickets! Section 440!

Deuce

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 09:43:55 AM »
This might seem weird but when I first drove by the place, something about the configuration of the grounds (when viewed from the elevated highway) led me to believe there was a putt-putt golf course there.

ralpho37

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:47:31 AM »
Why are there so many chain link fences in this park?  Whenever I go to a Jaguars game, I always feel like they want people to stay out of there because of all the dang fences.

Dapperdan

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:05:03 AM »
Since it is a performance Park, they have to have a way to control how people get in and out and make sure that people don't sneak in. I am not sure how they can correct this except with temporary fencing for events.

5PointsGuy

• Jaguars!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »
How about the let more local events happen and just take a cut of the proceeds? (ie local bands, theater, speakers, etc.)
4 Tickets! Section 440!

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 01:59:36 PM »
5PointsGuy:

I'm 4 tickets in 441
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Captain Zissou

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »
I love that picture of the northbank.  That has always been my favorite angle for viewing the skyline. 

stjr

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 12:30:11 AM »
I remember when this property was an oil tank farm/terminal.  My parents used to worry about one of the tanks blowing up during a sold out game at the Gator Bowl.  :D  Across the street, where the some of the stadium parking is was a Benjamin Moore paint factory.  All gone in the name of progress.

Below:  Benjamin Moore Paints is the complex between the original Gator Bowl pictured and the Hart Expressway ramp.  Early Metro Park is between the ramp and the river.

Photographer: "I took this shot back on June 12, 1993 shortly after receiving my private pilot's license, while flying over the Gator Bowl Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida." From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/slimeface/2086579241/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:41:50 AM by stjr »
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

02roadking

Springfield since 1998

stjr

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 10:43:57 PM »
$20M in renovations proposed at Met Park
Jacksonville Business Journal - by Lauren Darm

Proposed renovations to Metropolitan Park in downtown Jacksonville include some adjustments to the area around the amphitheater to help it compete with another venue on the First Coast.

“The St. Augustine Amphitheater is stealing a lot of our business,” said Ron Barton, executive director of the Jacksonville Economic Development Commission during its meeting last week. “These are events that could easily be booked here as well.”

The only plan for the amphitheater at Metro Park is downgrading the slope of land surrounding the theater to make more room for people attending the events there, and it should make them more competitive, Barton said. But this is the last stage of the renovation project for the Jacksonville park.

Other renovations include an expanded children’s playground and discovery area, a new entry plaza and covered picnic pavilions along the sides of the green at Metro Park. The entire project should cost around $20 million, and they hope to get it started by the first of the year, Barton said.

“A good park like this could be just as effective as a good arena,” he said.

When former mayor John Delaney tried to renovate Metro Park and the amphitheater during his term, the Jacksonville community raised red flags in fear they would lose some access to the park.

In addition, many residents across the river were afraid of the noise the amphitheater would produce, especially on week nights, but they aren’t as concerned now.

“The problem last time was that the city wouldn’t be over the amphitheater anymore, but as long as the city continues to run it, that would be fine,” said former Jacksonville city council member Suzanne Jenkins, who chaired the movement against the amphitheater during Delaney’s administration. “They do a really good job.”

Last time they were worried they wouldn’t get a response if they filed noise complaints to a different company, Jenkins said, but they know the city will respond.

She even admitted that they like attending events at the amphitheater in Metro Park.

“I can understand. I’ve been to some things there, and the whole community across the river is used to it by now,” she said. “I think this is definitely a dialogue worth having.”
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

blizz01

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 11:48:43 PM »
The only plan for the amphitheater at Metro Park is downgrading the slope of land surrounding the theater to make more room for people attending the events there, and it should make them more competitive

$20 million - seriously?  + some new monkey bars & an upgraded entrance?  $20 million?  I still don't see that as being on par with St. Augustine. $20 million.  Really?

THIS is an amphitheater btw (The Ford Amphitheatre, Tampa), & it's total cost was ~$23 million.

Check out the sound wall that THEY built - could be a nice remedy for the folks across the river, too.

$20 million? :o