Author Topic: Urban Parks: Metropolitan Park  (Read 12029 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Urban Parks: Metropolitan Park
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 01:57:10 PM »
Any idea of how this project will better integrate the park with its surroundings (for example, the stadium, arena or baseball grounds)?  Will infill development be encouraged along Bay Street, where Jax Municipal Stadium's parking lots currently stand?  Will the park expand its borders to acutally reach Bay Street?  If you drive down Bay Street, will we be able to even tell that there is a park on the other side of the Hart Bridge ramps? 

I bring these points up because they are more important that what type of fountain goes in or what type of sod is planted for the flex green space.  If no real attention has been given to integration, all we'll end up with is a pretty, isolated park that fails to make a significant impact on the surrounding area.  A nice space, but no Central Park, Boston Commons, Lake Eola Park or Millenium Park (which is what it is being talked up to be).
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jason_contentdg

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »
^ So what you're saying is, without careful and thoughtful planning we could be dealing with another Main Street Pocket Park, but on a much larger scale?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 12:03:02 AM »
Because of it's isolation, the homeless situation may not be what it is on Main Street.  However, because of its isolation, it will not be what many hope it will become. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

rjp2008

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 06:44:01 PM »
For 20 million, they had better create the best kids park in all of north america!!

The current park created for what - 4 million - is laughable. What is that traffic grid thing there - a tribute to JTA and jax roads??

Where is the GIGANTIC FRONTIER FORT with WATER CANNONS, REAL CAROUSEL, BUMPER CARS, CLIMBING WALL, etc. A SKATE PARK.

tufsu1

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 11:09:13 PM »
the overall project is estimated at $22 million, but the first phase of the Mayor's plan was a $9 million makleover....but $3 million was moved to the Landing to buy a parking lot, leaving $6 million for Metro Park

FlaBoy

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=546623

Thoughts on what the city should do with Metro Park to make it something worthwhile? It is certainly has some beautiful views of the skyline on the river.

BenderRodriguez

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2015, 10:14:47 AM »
I say it's a perfect spot for the proposed aquarium and the ship/museum. That, or convert it into a large public green space. We're long over due for one of those in the downtown area.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2015, 11:13:36 AM »
Metro Park had a good run, but it's time to think of a use that'll serve us more than a concert venue for a limited number of events a year. It could be a really nice park tying the Shipyards to the stadium district.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2015, 11:26:36 AM »
Combined with the Shipyards, that looks like about 60 total acres on the river that can be developed.  I would say that the city should do some remediation on the western portion and parcel off the land for development.  They can still get the mega-project that they want on the eastern portion once the area gets more densely developed.

What's more likely to happen:  The city puts a giant wall around the whole thing and turns it into a waterfowl hunting ground for the rich.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:29:44 AM by Captain Zissou »

CCMjax

• "That's what we're here for boys . . . to win!!"
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »
I agree with the comments in the article that it should be repurposed into a recreational park for the north bank.  Jacksonville does not have any other riverfront parks downtown and it is the "River City."  The public should have spaces to enjoy the river and its natural beauty.  All of the buildings on the north bank essentially cut the river off from the public except for a teeny tiny little spot by the Landing.  That's not good enough for the "River City."  I think we need to keep Metro Park a park and spruce it up a little.  Looks like no maintenance has been done in the last three decades.  I'd rather see development take place on some of the surface lots west of the stadium and keep lots of green space along the river.  I do agree though that if any buildings went in the aquarium and ship museum were good ideas . . . . but with lots of open shared green space!!!  How cool would it be to have one continuous actual riverwalk all the way from Riverside to the Stadium with small to medium sized parks along the way.
"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying 'This is mine,' and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society." - Jean Jacques Rousseau