Author Topic: Urban Parks: Main Street Pocket Park  (Read 12889 times)

DetroitInJAX

Re: Urban Parks: Main Street Pocket Park
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 05:42:11 PM »
Thats how we roll up north..

...welcome to last place, Jacksonville!

Anyway, I agree and have said for quite some time, all it is is the main street dog poop bum collector.  The biggest lack of urban planning foresight since.. well... the wholesale dynamiting of downtown's historic building stock.

Dog Walker

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »
The real irony of the "pocket park" is that it used to be the site of absolutely the best Italian restaurant in North Florida, Nicola's.  Nicola Buano was a  lawyer in Italy, but followed his American wife back to Jacksonville and turned his hobby into a fantastic restaurant in a location that had been an Italian restaurant and deli since the 1920's.  Not fancy, tile floors and formica tables, but incredible, stunning food.  At lunch, more city business got done there than in City Hall.

The building was torn down for, wait for it, a parking lot!  Yes, the very parking lot that was sooo awful that they HAD to turn it into a, wait for it, parking lot for bums!!

Jacksonville urban planning at it's best.
When all else fails hug the dog.

zoo

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 08:27:29 AM »
The pics/rendering in Lake's last post are of Campus Martius in Detroit -- a Project for Public Spaces project. Here's what their web site says about it:

"'We wanted a place that was green and that was a center of activity for downtown,' he continues. 'But we didn't want a place that was tranquil and beautiful, but there was nothing to do.' Gregory says they hit on the idea of a lively town square by looking at examples like Rockefeller Center and Bryant Park in New York, and many European city squares.

'Over the last year, the park has delivered on its promise to be a gathering spot for everybody,' Gregory says with unmistakable pride in his voice. 'People call it 'beautiful' and say it looks like 'a real city.' It changes the image of Detroit in everyone's mind. They see the square on TV, hear about what's happening there and they see Detroit differently.'

Five hundred million dollars of new investment has flowed into the area since plans for Campus Martius were announced, including a new office building across the street, new retail shops, and loft developments in many of the area's old buildings. Most significantly, the Compuware computer firm moved its headquarters and 4000 employees from the suburbs to a new building near the square."

This is what the citizens of Jacksonville want -- a revitalized Downtown area. Our city can't get it right b/c politics gets in the way of leadership. This Mayor and this Council just aren't cut out for making smart decisions about it. They are penny-wise and pound foolish, and don't realize that a revitalized Downtown would be a boon for the entire region, including their own districts...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:29:12 AM by zoo »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 08:31:53 AM »
^Great post.  I love Gregory's comments:

""We wanted a place that was green and that was a center of activity for downtown," he continues. "But we didn't want a place that was tranquil and beautiful, but there was nothing to do."

and the results:

"Over the last year, the park has delivered on its promise to be a gathering spot for everybody," Gregory says with unmistakable pride in his voice. "People call it 'beautiful' and say it looks like 'a real city.' It changes the image of Detroit in everyone's mind. They see the square on TV, hear about what's happening there and they see Detroit differently."

Five hundred million dollars of new investment has flowed into the area since plans for Campus Martius were announced, including a new office building across the street, new retail shops, and loft developments in many of the area's old buildings. Most significantly, the Compuware computer firm moved its headquarters and 4000 employees from the suburbs to a new building near the square."

This is the type of thinking that needs to go into every single public project in this city.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

civil42806

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 10:50:02 AM »
^Great post.  I love Gregory's comments:

""We wanted a place that was green and that was a center of activity for downtown," he continues. "But we didn't want a place that was tranquil and beautiful, but there was nothing to do."

and the results:

"Over the last year, the park has delivered on its promise to be a gathering spot for everybody," Gregory says with unmistakable pride in his voice. "People call it 'beautiful' and say it looks like 'a real city.' It changes the image of Detroit in everyone's mind. They see the square on TV, hear about what's happening there and they see Detroit differently."

This is the type of thinking that needs to go into every single public project in this city.

I have a hard time taking seriously anything someone from detroit says, heres a different view of one of the fastest declining cities in America.  I'm sure its a nice park but thats the least of there concerns.

http://www.detroityes.com/toc.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeUQLMEwUz4

http://books.google.com/books?id=oVJJPfdZyhwC&pg=PA162&lpg=PA162&dq=detroit+belle+isle+corruption&source=bl&ots=z_Q5ddeBsZ&sig=i4Mr1bhBQwpyMVd6lmvVcx03CDU&hl=en&ei=6fUfSrLwCqKxtgf89uG3Bg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9#PPA161,M1

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 11:04:25 AM »
^That just makes us look worse.  Despite all their problems, they were successful at creating a well designed and well used public space.  If we're seriously going to hold our noses up to a place like Detroit, we should be making public spaces that blow Campus Martius Park away.  At this point, its evident we aren't.  Anyone who says other wise is either wearing rose colored glasses or smoking some good stuff.  So what's the fix?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Orlanta

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »
Its a common mistake in the sprawl dominated south.  Everyone always wants more greenspace and more open space without understanding what actually works in those special public spaces in urban areas. The best way to activate a greenspace is whats around.  It helps that the Detroit park has active uses within the park but I think its even more important that there is urbanism and active uses surrounding it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 04:29:31 PM by Orlanta »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 05:06:31 PM »
I agree, the success of an urban park probably has more to do with what's surrounding it, than what's actually in it.  However, the Detroit park has taken advantage of both of these issues.  With this said, it has also spurred infill development around it, which in turn has made the space more vibrant.  Here are a few images of this space I took last Summer.

Campus Martius Park

existing development around the park

new infill development around the park

Compuware World Headquarters (2003)

One Kennedy Square (2006) & Cadillac Square Park (2007).

One Kennedy Square is the glass office tower in the background and Cadillac Square Park is a new linear park adjacent to Campus Martius.

Unlike Campus Martius Park, the Main Street park fails as a place that allows for a diverse amount of activities to take place in it and its surroundings are not well integrated.  Addressing these issues will be critical in any public space improvement planned by the city.  Speaking of which, despite the Mayor's plan to upgrade the site, Metropolitan Park/Kids Kampus will still recieve a big fat F-, when it comes to integrating that site with its surroundings.  Too much focus has been placed on the parks and the idea of flex space than addressing the horrible asphalt lots surrounding it.

A Tale of Two Parks
A quick visual lesson on the Do's and Don't's of urban park planning.
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2008-sep-a-tale-of-two-parks

(A photo comparison of Campus Martius Park & the Main Street pocket park)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:10:57 PM by thelakelander »

jaxlore

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »
i'll say it again this is an amazing city park, clean as can be and not a homeless person in sight.To be fair over memorial day weekend it seemed a little under utilized, but i think everyone and there mother was at the tigers game or the demf festival and there were thousands at both. I have never heard a roar that loud out of any jax game it was something, and the fireworks they shot off for the baseball game put our 4th of July fireworks to shame.

Ethylene

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »
Why oh why can't we have an Au Bon Pain! I fell in love with them years ago in Providence, RI. From their website, http://www.aubonpain.com/, there are franchise opportunities available and many locations in Miami. The Orlando airport is our nearest location. We would be more "international" if our airport had a restaurant with a French name! ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:30:39 AM by Ethylene »

Omarvelous09

• Hi.
    • Omarvelous.
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 01:01:24 PM »
In essence this was a good idea, but the final product is a mess...
I live in Springfield and go downtown a lot, especially to the library and MOCA. i usually take my 4 yo nephew with me, and i was hoping that upon the completion of the pocket park there would be some place for us to play and lay out after the library. Well...not so much. First and foremost there's very little shade, and its way too close to Main St. besides that its always full of guys hanging out drinking.
Good idea...bad location. :-\
Compete. Evolve. Survive or Die.

DetroitInJAX

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2009, 10:24:49 AM »
My mother used to eat at that Au Bon Painful when she worked downtown at the Patrick McNamara Federal Building.... It's been held up at gunpoint more than once, unfortunately..

avonjax

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2009, 10:39:45 AM »
The real irony of the "pocket park" is that it used to be the site of absolutely the best Italian restaurant in North Florida, Nicola's.  Nicola Buano was a  lawyer in Italy, but followed his American wife back to Jacksonville and turned his hobby into a fantastic restaurant in a location that had been an Italian restaurant and deli since the 1920's.  Not fancy, tile floors and formica tables, but incredible, stunning food.  At lunch, more city business got done there than in City Hall.

The building was torn down for, wait for it, a parking lot!  Yes, the very parking lot that was sooo awful that they HAD to turn it into a, wait for it, parking lot for bums!!

[/quot

Sorry for this late post....
BUT I LOVED THAT PLACE.
I used to go there after school when I was in High School before going to work at Furchgott's...
Downtown was fun then......

Josh

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2019, 03:38:49 PM »
Everyone's favorite urban park is out of commission.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2019, 03:46:02 PM »
The area is fenced off as the conversion to a dog park will begin this month (April).

For background:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/is-a-dog-park-for-downtown-the-right-move/