Author Topic: Urban Parks: Main Street Pocket Park  (Read 12888 times)

jagsfan32092

Re: Urban Parks: Main Street Pocket Park
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 09:30:49 AM »
I agree with the previous replies.  EVERYTIME I drive by, it's filled with homeless.  I don't know what could have gone there but this wasn't the answer. 
Thinking about moving to Downtown.  Soon to be divorced, tired of yard work and want to live closer to Jags games and everything that Jax has to offer.

hanjin1

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 09:53:34 AM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about, but I usually see these fine examples of downtown citizens when I drive by.

Of course the last one is Hemming Plaza, but it's all the same

TheProfessor

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »
Maybe they can make it into a public garden and then in the future either sell the land to a developer or build a museum/municipal building there.

copperfiend

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 09:59:37 AM »

And the grass looks litter-free.

Karl_Pilkington

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 10:04:03 AM »
They should have made it a skate plaza. It would have given kids and younger adults a place to legally skate downtown.

nope this city would rather arrest and prosecute skateboarders and coddle the vagrants.  in this city's twisted logic its the skateboarders who are the problem the vagrants are just poor souls who need sympathy and handouts.  they'll spend almost a million dollars on what is basically an outdoor homeless shelter and then go out and arrest the skate kids, effing ridiculous!
"Does the brain control you or are you controlling the brain? I don't know if I'm in charge of mine." KP

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
This was a big mistake. The library already has a nice court yard to sit and read inside. No near by places to get anything to eat or drink. Why would one sit out there in the hot Florida sun. A walgreens or CVS with affordable condos or apts on top may have been a better idea. Once again the city doesnt listen they just do what they think is best. This really was built for the homeless.

I don't think it was built for the homeless, but it wasn't a good idea.  This "pocket park" or whatever its called, is a by product of Jax's government administration not thinking, basically not thinking at all. How about a McDonald's in that spot?  Or yeah, a small downtown CVS or Walgreens?  Or even a 10 story residential/office complex or even an office skyscraper?  Hemming Park is just a block or so away and that should signal that there is no need for a park a block away behind the library; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 10:34:03 AM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about, but I usually see these fine examples of downtown citizens when I drive by.

Of course the last one is Hemming Plaza, but it's all the same

It's a given that the homeless will be there because that park was a mistake, so what else could it be used for?  What bothers me is all the trash and litter strewn throughout that little park.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

copperfiend

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »
What bothers me is all the trash and litter strewn throughout that little park.

No joke. It is disgusting.

hanjin1

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 10:47:29 AM »
I always wondered if that guy was trying to tan his stomach?

nestliving

• nestliving
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 11:48:24 AM »
my dogs quite like shitting there.

hightowerlover

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »
it would be a nice site to hold a tea party rally

heights unknown

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 12:34:09 PM »
I always wondered if that guy was trying to tan his stomach?

Ummm, I don't think so, he's African American and dark complexioned at that; not much tanning going on or will happen there (I don't think).

Heights Unknown

jaxlore

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »
was just in detroit visiting an awesome pocket park, fountain, food and there is even small stage.

copperfiend

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
Lakelander posted some Detroit pics in the past.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 02:26:07 PM »
You mean this Detroit park?  We focused on this park as a successful example of how to create a great urban public space.  If something like this can be built in Detroit, then there is no excuse for the same techniques not succeeding in Jacksonville.  Unfortunately, no one listened.  Hopefully, this time around, the process will be more open.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:28:44 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali