Author Topic: Urban Parks: Main Street Pocket Park  (Read 12890 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Parks: Main Street Pocket Park
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:08:55 AM »
Urban Parks: Main Street Pocket Park

The Main Street Pocket Park was completed in mid 2007 as a part of a plan to expand greenspace in the downtown core.  It was envisioned by City Hall that, due to its proximity to the Main Library, it would become a popular place for library users and residents looking for greenspace in a sea of concrete.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-may-urban-parks-main-street-pocket-park

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Re: Urban Parks: Main Street Pocket Park
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:15:57 AM »
This was a big mistake. The library already has a nice court yard to sit and read inside. No near by places to get anything to eat or drink. Why would one sit out there in the hot Florida sun. A walgreens or CVS with affordable condos or apts on top may have been a better idea. Once again the city doesnt listen they just do what they think is best. This really was built for the homeless.

fsu813

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 06:36:08 AM »
that park sucks. a wasted space.
You know i'm just kiddin'.............unless you're gonna do it   -Kanye

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:58:27 AM »
While a few would say get over it, I think the implementation of this park should serve as an example of what we don't want to do in the upcoming visioning process the Mayor recently proposed.  We have a prime example of what can happen when you don't follow the 10 step program described by Project for Public Spaces ( March 6, 2007's "Greening of Main: A failure in the making?" article).  You can create an "OK" project that looks good to drive by or we can strive for greatness by creating & enhancing spaces that draw pedestrians on a regular basis.  In the past we've settled for "OK".  The new visioning proposal gives us a chance for greatness.

When we address future public space improvements we really need to design spaces that have built-in uses to draw people on a regular basis.  They also need to be designed to fully integrate with the uses surrounding them.

As for the Main Street park, I wonder what the plans are for the space in the future.  A while back, it was mentioned it would become a sculpture park but has not happened as of yet.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tpot

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 07:07:40 AM »
I drive by this location daily and everyday it is full of homeless waiting to get inside the library.  NIce sight to see as you drive down Main Street into JAX..........

zoo

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:04:15 AM »
tpot, that is exactly what all of the urbanists on this forum predicted what would happen. When leadership thinks they know more than those with training/experience in an area, is when plans go awry.

Project for Public Spaces is coming to Jacksonville to partner with a local company on a Springfield project. That's right, Springfield. Maybe some other important connections can happen while they are here...

copperfiend

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 08:08:05 AM »
I drive by this location daily and everyday it is full of homeless waiting to get inside the library.  NIce sight to see as you drive down Main Street into JAX..........

I think I saw the dance in your avatar being performed there.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 08:08:58 AM »
This park is a disaster. It is only used by the homeless, bums, vagrants.....whatever you prefer to call them. I pass it everyday on my way to work and think to myself what a wasted opportunity.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:46:24 AM by fsujax »

fatcat

• "truth is in the eyes of beholder"------Elim Garak
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
the thing with public area being overrun by homeless is unavoidable if down town is loaded with homeless service. I do not understand why non-profit are exempt from property tax. With the property tax going up everyday, no body can afford to live in downtown except the homeless.

copperfiend

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 08:20:37 AM »
This park is a disaster. It is only used by the homeless, bums, vagrants.....whatever you prefer to call them. I pass it everyday on my way and think to myself what a wasted opportunity.

And a big waste of money.

MrPajitnov

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 08:36:37 AM »
the thing with public area being overrun by homeless is unavoidable if down town is loaded with homeless service. I do not understand why non-profit are exempt from property tax. With the property tax going up everyday, no body can afford to live in downtown except the homeless.

Property taxes are hardly going up, in fact my roommate (who is in school to be a teacher) and two friends of mine who are substitute teachers lost their jobs as a result of Christ's last round of property tax cuts.

but about the park, my friends and I tried to hang out and play frisbee there a couple of times at night, but the reason we stopped going there is because everyone walks their dog down there, lets it take a big dump, and they just leave it there. The grassy areas amount to little more than a big toilet for everyone's dogs. Add in the wandering bums that just wait for someone to harass for for "fitty cent" and it's pretty much worse off than all the moonscape parking lots in terms of accessability.

Deuce

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »
We should spend a couple thousand more for a big sign that says:
Welcome to the Main Street Pocket Park!
"A park for bums to park their bum."

jason_contentdg

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 08:56:08 AM »
You can create an "OK" project that looks good to drive by or we can strive for greatness by creating & enhancing spaces that draw pedestrians on a regular basis.  In the past we've settled for "OK".  The new visioning proposal gives us a chance for greatness.

This has always upset me about many Jacksonville residents, their comfort with settling.  The phrase "Its better than what was there" shouldn't be thrown around as often is it does, especially when what has been built is mediocre at best.

The only difference between the park and a parking lot is the grass.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 08:59:37 AM »
^and $700k.  I would have went out there and laid sod myself for $100k.  ;D
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

TPC

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 09:16:02 AM »
They should have made it a skate plaza. It would have given kids and younger adults a place to legally skate downtown.