Author Topic: 2009 Jacksonville Jazz Festival  (Read 9371 times)

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
Re: 2009 Jacksonville Jazz Festival
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 03:38:03 PM »
The Jazz fest was great and despite the rain, we still had a great time.  After walking around and checking everything out, we ended up spending most of the time at the Landing.  I parked at the Kings Ave garage and rode the Skyway over so parking was a non-issue.  All-in-all, a GREAT time.

IMO, quarterly events would be much more suitable.  We already have a monthly Artwalk so just throw in 4 big events in the CBD each year.  The Irish Fest, World of Nations Fest, Jazz Fest, and something else.... are all on the books already.  So just a bit of reorganization and violia!  Save Met Park for the smaller shindigs and outdoor concerts.

Gen7

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 07:48:02 PM »
This looks like one of the cities that is frequently posted here to show us what we could be!

Snyder Memorial would make a great wedding chapel with receptions in Hemming Plaza, the library courtyard or the conference area downstairs.  It could still be used for small concerts - string quartets, high school and college groups.  The rental income could help offset the upkeep. 

Speaking of baby steps… if landlords would do a 4-month lease for their empty street level space we could have a mini-season from October to January.  This would give merchants a taste of what could be without the risk of a long-term lease and without the set up/break down costs of monthly festivals. 

Artwalk could be extended to weekly during this timeframe along with other events to bring people downtown (Make a Scene Downtown Thursdays, Destination Downtown Fridays, add a Progressive Supper on Saturdays?) 

This is the time frame when we already have people in town for FL-GA, Thanksgiving (Tree Lighting), Gator Bowl, Light Parade and New Year’s Eve fireworks.  Throw in a few more events on the off weekends and you’ve got 4 months of good, solid activity downtown. 

Eventually merchants would have the confidence to come downtown year round.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »
Looks great, too bad I was out of town also. Keep it up Jax.

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »
Um...This is Jacksonville?? WOW!!! If you could see the smile on my face right not my jaws are hurting. MAN!!! I love how the stage looks, people still came out during the rain. Ok now this is what I am talking about, events like this!!! keep it on Laura Street!! Lets hope for no rain next year. Man these pictures look like they were taken in Chicago or DC....Impressive, most Impressive!!!
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

Coolyfett

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 10:13:48 PM »
The Jazz fest was great and despite the rain, we still had a great time.  After walking around and checking everything out, we ended up spending most of the time at the Landing.  I parked at the Kings Ave garage and rode the Skyway over so parking was a non-issue.  All-in-all, a GREAT time.

Cool so how does Riverplace Station look? Did JTA add anything to it? They got that station fixed fast.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:16:02 PM by Coolyfett »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19:46 PM »
I think Riverplace is still closed, and the Skyway cars just run through it on the way to/from Kings Avenue.

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 10:30:40 PM »
The monthly or quarterly festivals wouldn't necessarily require as much organization, street closure and public expense as the Jazzfest.  One of the great things about artwalk is the decentralized nature of it.

Also I think the bank building of the Laura Trio would be a better location for a club than the Snyder.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 07:22:02 AM »
This looks like one of the cities that is frequently posted here to show us what we could be!

Snyder Memorial would make a great wedding chapel with receptions in Hemming Plaza, the library courtyard or the conference area downstairs.  It could still be used for small concerts - string quartets, high school and college groups.  The rental income could help offset the upkeep. 

Speaking of baby steps… if landlords would do a 4-month lease for their empty street level space we could have a mini-season from October to January.  This would give merchants a taste of what could be without the risk of a long-term lease and without the set up/break down costs of monthly festivals. 

Artwalk could be extended to weekly during this timeframe along with other events to bring people downtown (Make a Scene Downtown Thursdays, Destination Downtown Fridays, add a Progressive Supper on Saturdays?) 

This is the time frame when we already have people in town for FL-GA, Thanksgiving (Tree Lighting), Gator Bowl, Light Parade and New Year’s Eve fireworks.  Throw in a few more events on the off weekends and you’ve got 4 months of good, solid activity downtown. 

Eventually merchants would have the confidence to come downtown year round.

Great suggestions Gen7... Welcome to the forum!  Looking forward to more input!
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Coolyfett

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »
yea

Coolyfett

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »
If Jacksonville does this event downtown next year like they did last year, I'll have to come down there and visit.  I really like these pictures.