Author Topic: 2009 Jacksonville Jazz Festival  (Read 9369 times)

Dapperdan

Re: 2009 Jacksonville Jazz Festival
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 11:10:28 AM »
I think it should be a museum/ coffeee bar/ visitors center. Imagine pictures of old Hemming plaza set up, maybe some model displays, some info on the fire and the church as well. To me that would be the best option for it. I do not see a club or anything like that working here at this time.

Shwaz

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 11:49:34 AM »
Downtown already has plenty of coffee, and visitor center's.
I agree more Museum's would be nice such as the Maritime Museum idea for the ship yards.

We need more venue's that draw visitor's and bring downtown back to a dominant area for retail, culture and nightlife instead of wasting great venues (like this) to hold old pictures showing that downtown used to be great.
And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

Deuce

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 12:35:49 PM »
Wow, this looks great. Sorry I was away this weekend!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 01:09:41 PM »
So, all of the aforementioned being said, and the fact that I wasn't there, would you all call it a success or no?  It looks like there was an excellent turnout despite the rain.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »
I would call it a success.  Keep in mind I would give the city a grade of 100%, but I'd give them at least a B+/A-.  There were a couple of things I would have done differently, however keep in mind that they are my opinion, not necessarily fact.

I would say this format is FAR better than the isolated Metro Park version

heights unknown

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 01:45:27 PM »
Just what I needed to know; and who knows?  Even this annual event could alter downtown in a positive way, i.e., giving a shot in the arm and impetus for growth in other downtown areas and entities.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

jeh1980

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »
With all due respect, I thought it was an A+!  :D Although I didn't get to see it in person. Downtown is always at its best when it comes to something like this. The essence and the atmosphere of downtown is almost like the days of old. We should have more like this in the future. Mayor Payton, God bless you!  8)

TPC

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 02:41:34 PM »
Great photos, I'm glad it was as successful even with the bad weather.

comncense

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 02:46:06 PM »
Yeah, I wonder why there isn't more festivals or parades downtown. I seem to remember there being a Latin festival in Hemming Plaza a few years back. What about having a Puerto Rican day parade, West Indian day parades and I like all the ideas that Stephen posted above. Granted I have no experience in organizing things such as these, but is it really that hard to coordinate with the city to get things like these moving? It seems that downtown always has a good turnout when they host things. And even though leaving and coming back home to the Carling was somewhat of a pain this weekend, I'd gladly welcome an event in the surrounding area again if it was for the long-term good of downtown and its growth.

heights unknown

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 03:09:46 PM »
I agree conmcense; and just like Stephendare said, hold different types of events at least a minimum of once a month; in my opinion every weekend hold something (if you're that innovative to hold 52 different events a year).  Nothing else goes on downtown anyway so once a month minimum would be better than nothing at all.  You live at the Carling "Comncense?"  If so, how is the living quarters there?

Lastly, if the City held recurring events year round once a month, once a week or whatever, it would change downtown in more ways than we know, and, people would all of a sudden start coming to downtown if not for an event, at least to hangout, and, people would also start wanting to live downtown, which would provide impetus for restaurants, stores, etc. to spring up and support the people wanting to live and "hang out" downtown.

Heights Unknown

Dapperdan

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 03:16:56 PM »
Downtown needs a themed festival every month, I would posit.  Art walk on the first wednesday I suppose and a weekend festival on the second weekend of the month.

Jazz

Blues

Latin Salsa

Gospel and Christian Contemporanea

Country

Neo Soul/Contemporary Urban

Square Dancing/ Line Dancing/ Dancing in the Streets

Barbeque Fests

Alternative College Indie

Mardi Gras

Holiday Caroling

Choral and vocal ensembles / Cheerleading / Marching Bands.

Where would the money come from for all of this? I agree these would be very nice, but to hire union workers and all to set up sound and stages once a month and to rent all that is needed could be quite expensive. We are ina  projected huge city deficit. How can the city afford this right now? I think this would be a nice thing to incorporate when things get back in the upswing.

Dapperdan

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 03:19:38 PM »
Downtown already has plenty of coffee, and visitor center's.
I agree more Museum's would be nice such as the Maritime Museum idea for the ship yards.

We need more venue's that draw visitor's and bring downtown back to a dominant area for retail, culture and nightlife instead of wasting great venues (like this) to hold old pictures showing that downtown used to be great.

I am sorry, I just disagree that this would be a good club spot. If it was such an enticing option, it would have been purchased for such well before now. It sat in default forever and the city has been trying to sell the place but people kept defaulting on payments. It is a neat venue,  but it needs to stay simple for now and at least be useful while the city owns it.

Julian

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 03:22:53 PM »
Yeah, I wonder why there isn't more festivals or parades downtown. I seem to remember there being a Latin festival in Hemming Plaza a few years back. What about having a Puerto Rican day parade, West Indian day parades and I like all the ideas that Stephen posted above. Granted I have no experience in organizing things such as these, but is it really that hard to coordinate with the city to get things like these moving? It seems that downtown always has a good turnout when they host things. And even though leaving and coming back home to the Carling was somewhat of a pain this weekend, I'd gladly welcome an event in the surrounding area again if it was for the long-term good of downtown and its growth.

We do have a Puerto Rican day parade every year, one year it was in springfield ending at confederate park and the next year it was at metro park, down bay street to in front of the entrance. However the turn outs for these have been small, mostly the local puerto rican community, I think a main issue isn't as much the amount of events that are planned, but the logistics and the marketing, there are events that go on here that i'd love to go to and dont find out until afterwards or happen to see advertised in an obscure place.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 03:23:56 PM »
Downtown needs a themed festival every month, I would posit.  Art walk on the first wednesday I suppose and a weekend festival on the second weekend of the month.

Jazz

Blues

Latin Salsa

Country

Barbeque Fests

Mardi Gras

Holiday Caroling

Where would the money come from for all of this? I agree these would be very nice, but to hire union workers and all to set up sound and stages once a month and to rent all that is needed could be quite expensive. We are ina  projected huge city deficit. How can the city afford this right now? I think this would be a nice thing to incorporate when things get back in the upswing.
You wouldn't try to add them all at once but consistently one, two or Three a year. The city couldn't do that many festivals unless they are real money makers but they probably could be.
Lenny Smash

Shwaz

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 03:31:33 PM »
Just because it wasn't purchased and renovated into live music venue doesn't mean it isn't enticing. I'm sure there's all kinds of red tape when it comes to turning an old Church that dates back to 1903 into a night club in the bold new city.

Jazz

Blues

Latin Salsa

Country

Barbeque Fests

Mardi Gras

Holiday Caroling

I don't have much interest in square dancing or choraling but I agree downtown needs more festival type activities. Maybe not like the Jazzfest but more like SXSW in Austin. An organized group of club's & park's that hold a weekend schedule of live music & special events spread out through downtown.

And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.