Author Topic: Metro Jacksonville gets new Signage on I-95  (Read 11025 times)

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Re: Metro Jacksonville gets new Signage on I-95
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »
I honestly do not see how FDOT is even going to be able to do anything in the next few years.

This shouldn't be too hard for our Republican administration. THINK FSUJAX, THINK:

Bake Sales
Selling Greeting Cards
Amway Business
Fund Raiser Chocolate Bars
Seasonal Gift Wrap Sales

Then there is always the industrial segment of the business world, "Make Big Money Selling Fishing Worms". Giant red wigglers.

How to Make Money as a Worm Rancher - Part One
September 05, 2007 by Nick Howes
Earthworms Get in for Pennies, Make a Living at It

Selling earthworms is a perfect small business endeavor. You can start small and cheap with the knowledge that your stock replenishes itself. It's good money for teens needing spending money, for retirees seeking to supplement their fixed income, or for someone looking for a sideline with expansion potential.

You can do what we did as kids, gather earthworms on the lawn or under leaves for an extra $500 over a summer or, like a lady worm rancher in Grafton, Illinois does, raise the worms in a garage-type building in big 10'x5' beds.

I will assume for the purposes of this article that you want to launch this for pocket change, which is a perfectly plausible option, then reinvest to build the business.

OCKLAWAHA

RyanL

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 12:58:14 PM »
Thank you for wasting $58,000 dollars on something that will be obsolete in the near future. This was a huge waste of money that the tax payers pay for that could have gone toward something much more productive.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 01:00:07 PM »
Correcting incorrect signs is a waste of money??  I am about as frugal as they come here and I cannot follow your logic.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

RyanL

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »
How long have the signs been like that and not been a huge problem to the city? At least 429 days as it is stated in the article. Now why spend $58,000 dollars on something that has not been a huge problem to the city when in a couple of years the signs will be worthless as they redo I-95. It is a waste of money as it has been wrong for over a year and will soon be replaced anyway.

RyanL

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »
and I'm just saying that the newcomers in the last 429 days still somehow managed to find their way around.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 01:21:26 PM »
Yes, however the goal of the group is to make downtown less hostile.  By not having accurate signage, people get frustrated coming downtown because they can't figure out where they are going.  Yes, I'm sure it's a very small percentage of people that decide screw it, I can't find what I'm looking for, and leave.  However, I think there is a VERY high percentage that say, "I hate coming down here, I always get lost".  The goal of this is to alleviate that.

chipwich

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 01:29:18 PM »
I guess I would have to agree with Ryan L here.

The signs are going to get torn down anyway in the not too distant future.

While I think we all greatly admire Steve's efforts to get the DOT to put up more accurate signs, I think  it is perhaps also prudent to say "forget it if it is going to cost $60,000".

The City and State are both broke, adding $60K to that isn't going to help.  I would rather them not put up any new signage anywhere and repeal the new storm water retention fees (smash and grab) than to replace signs that already seem to do the job.

If the DOT wasn't going to revamp the entire highway in a couple of years, then it would be worth the price, but things being as they are with us being broke and with plans for a new interchange, I just don't think it worth it.

It's not a social, liberal, or conservative idea, it is dollars and cents.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
Well, don't get too worked up over this, FDOT will not destroy the signs....I am sure they will save them and put them back up when construction is complete.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 01:33:48 PM »
To be fair and to put things in their perspective place, DOT had not announced that they were going to rebuild that section of highway 429 days ago.  In addition to this, the new signs also span the Acosta/Main ramps and the Acosta Bridge.  So most of the new signage will remain in place whenever the Overland Bridge project kicks off, five years from now or so.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 01:35:45 PM »
correct....since the northbound lanes won't be permanently reconfigured as part of the I-95 project, the signs will still be usefdul.

And of course (as Lake said) it seems likely that the 3 lanes that go to downtown won't be changed during construction.....so most of the new signs may still in place the whole time!

chipwich

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »
Well, perhaps the bigger question here is...and I am by no means a sign expert, but why the heck does it cost $58,000 to put up some new sheet metal with reflective tape on it?

Steve's idea is very good and noble, but $58K for a sign seems very very excessive to me.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 01:58:58 PM »
Where did the $58,000 number come from anyway?

And yes, roads and the stuff that goes with them are expensive.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:03:56 PM by Lunican »

chipwich

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 02:20:40 PM »
From the DOT to Steve:

"We will forward a work request to our maintenance office next week for them to review and comment on this work. However, we do not know at this time whether they have the funds to complete such a large project, our estimate is $58,075. We will let you and the city of Jacksonville know as soon as we know."

"And yes, roads and the stuff that goes with them are expensive. "

My car goes on the road and it's made out of durable sheet metal, but it didn't cost $58,000. 

I just wanted to point that out and not dwell on my rant or detract from the original story.  I guess the chief concern here revolves around a seeming excessive price tag for a mere street sign.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »
Thanks, I missed that earlier. The signs are a lot bigger than they look.

I think the lesson to be learned is that roads are extremely expensive.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 02:33:54 PM »
sheet metal, hurricane resistant (cat 3) construction, reflective material (last 10-15 years), labor (probably the biggest costs) it all adds up. Don't even ask how much that those electronic message boards cost.