Author Topic: Liveblogging the Trail Ridge Inquisition.  (Read 4530 times)

stephendare

Liveblogging the Trail Ridge Inquisition.
« on: April 23, 2009, 04:35:07 PM »
The room is packed, and it is a veritable whos who of the social political classes that rule the city with more or less southern charm and good cheer.

There is a palpable sense of a bloodbath about to unfold and with it, an appropriate amount of solemnity in the avid popcorn eating in the room.

The entire Council, minus Glorious Johnson is here.

Pretty much the entire senior administration from the mayor's off ice is also here and there is a passel of barrel chested waste management drivers who have shown up to glare angrily at the Council members.

Paul Harden had to come in by a safe entrance as there were huge security concerns.  Listening to the well heeled crowd assembled to watch this gladiatorial battle, it seems like even people who can afford nice shoes are ready to lynch this fellow.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Re: Liveblogging the Trail Ridge Inquisition.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
How frickin funny was this man, and to think I left before all my old friends "Eric Smith, Glorious etc..." showed up. Been laid up in a Vietnam induced FUNK for 2 days and the only drugs the VA has given me are all downers, so I hope you can see why I bailed. Your posts worked wonders like 5 Bennies and 10 cups of black coffee. I would have loved to have seen this, next time they hold a circus I'll stay for the floor show. Did little Nell work the lights? And what about Riff Raff?

OCKLAWAHA

stjr

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:47:23 PM »
I have seen my share of Council meetings and they would make great fodder for a reality TV show!  Stephen, your entertaining commentary just proves it.

Wonder if anyone on the Council will read your account and see the humor in all this serious business.

By the way, aren't Fussell and Davis related to each other somehow?  By marriage? Cousins?  May have added to the sting you described.  Glad to know that family isn't getting in the way of the public's business so kudos for that.  At least this time.

Now, if we could just get the Council to reconsider the Courthouse deal this way - and, redo the whole thing with a vertical (will Denise get it?  ;) ) design.  Life would be looking up!  ::)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:49:30 PM by stjr »
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

RiversideLoki

• What do you mean we can't turn left here?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »
Find Jacksonville on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/jacksonville!

fsu813

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 06:57:33 PM »
yeah!
You know i'm just kiddin'.............unless you're gonna do it   -Kanye

RiversideLoki

• What do you mean we can't turn left here?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »
It was on TU's live blog. Plus some rudimentary photoshop. Parody is fair use. :D
Find Jacksonville on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/jacksonville!

stjr

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 07:24:15 PM »
Too funny for words!:

Those attentive Waste Management employees!

A mass swearing in of the audience!

(Photos courtesy of the Florida Times Union Blog by Tia Mitchell: "By the way, all of these photos are by T-U photographer Jon Fletcher. ")

Here is Tia Mitchell's clarification of Stephen's "SHAE" meeting:

Bill Bishop would like a shade meeting (meaning no one from the  public can attend, no sunshine, common for legal matters) to discuss the contract dispute. Mullaney said he has met privately with almost everyone about this. He doesn't think the state law allows such a shade meeting on this matter.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:26:30 PM by stjr »

stjr

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »
Mullaney undergoing waterboarding from Denise Lee!

Stephen's "man from Mars":

I love ya' - here is the relationship explained by Tia - they are related by by marriage of cousins!:

Fussell tells Davis (his cousin-in-law) "You know I love ya" but we're not here to procure a landfill deal, we're hear to discuss the bill that asks for us to waive procurement codes. They aren't here to decide if Republic or any other company should or would bid

I don't think the Waste Management employees will ever go to a Council Meeting again!   :D

Per Tia's Blog:

Voting for withdrawal: Bishop, Clark, Corrigan, Davis, Fussell, Gaffney, Graham, Hyde, Johnson, Lee, Webb
 Voting no on the withdrawal: Brown, Crescimbeni, Holt, Jones, Joost, Redman, Yarborough. (I think many of them wanted to hear more testimony, not necessarily supported keeping the bill around)

Paul Harden, dressed for the occasion as usual:

All quotes and photos courtesy of the Times Union Blog by Tia Mitchell.

lindab

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 09:26:33 PM »
Stephen, your liveblog was da bomb! My dear husband had his computer set for the live feed and I was reading out your hilarious descriptions. Everytime Denise asked "just one more question" we were dying of laughter since we knew how excruciating it was to the council and Mullaney. Many thanks.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 09:52:53 PM »
Great narration, stephen!!

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 10:01:22 PM »
Stephen - nice job.  I'm in Milwaukee right now trying to read as much as I can about this.

Was it supposed to be a show of support to have the Waste Management drivers there?  If so, it doesn't work so well to have them sleeping.