Author Topic: Florida High-Speed Rail Champion Dockery Resigns  (Read 10446 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Florida High-Speed Rail Champion Dockery Resigns
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 10:52:21 PM »
So who gets the short end of the stick?  There will be 10 corridors competing for $8 billion.  So far we know California wants $4 billion, Florida wants $2 billion and the Midwest wants $3.4 billion.  We're already at $9.4 billion with seven more corridors out there.  At this point, we do know the others are lobbying hard, but Crist remains silent.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 11:05:52 PM »
the biggest problem here in FL is that SunRail is being pitted against HSR....Sen. Paula Dockery is making an issue out of the CSX deal because her husband, C.C. Dockery wants HSR....then he throws a fit and resigns from the committee because the Governor won't come out in favor of HSR.

Unfortunately, the Feds may see our "lack of support" for coimmuter rail as a sign about our potential support for HSR...or vice versa.   

FayeforCure

• Amsterdam: Persistent, Courageous, Compassionate
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 09:36:24 AM »
the biggest problem here in FL is that SunRail is being pitted against HSR....Sen. Paula Dockery is making an issue out of the CSX deal because her husband, C.C. Dockery wants HSR....then he throws a fit and resigns from the committee because the Governor won't come out in favor of HSR.

Unfortunately, the Feds may see our "lack of support" for coimmuter rail as a sign about our potential support for HSR...or vice versa.   

Yes, the biggest problem here in FL is that Sunrail is being pitted against HSR.

Here are the possibilities:

1. We can do both
2. We can do either one
3. We can do just Sunrail

Clearly the powers that be in Florida have decided to only consider 3.

That is limiting our options, and certainly not in the public interest. In the interest of jobs in Florida, we must pursue all options!

The beauty of the $2 stimulus monies is that it doesn't require state matching funds,............besides,..........who would favor getting $300 million from the federal government over the possibility of getting $2 billion????????

For those of us who care about Florida jobs it certainly is enraging to let the possibility of getting $2 billion slip through our hands, for no other reason than political grandstanding on sunrail.

Already we've missed out on $2.2 billion federal funds for education ( states that have been gutting their state education funding since 2006, like Florida, did not qualify to use federal education stimulus funds,..... as these funds were not meant to replace state funding, rather they were supposed to supplement state funding, in order to be a true stimulus).

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 09:38:31 AM by FayeforCure »
In a society governed passively by free markets and free elections, organized greed always defeats disorganized democracy.
Basic American bi-partisan tradition: Dwight Eisenhower and Harry Truman were honorary chairmen of Planned Parenthood

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 11:48:23 AM »
It looks like Crist is on board...

Stimulus money may resurrect state's high-speed rail line

By Janet Zink, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Saturday, April 18, 2009

TAMPA — Florida high-speed rail supporters are dusting off plans for trains connecting Tampa to Orlando and Miami with hopes that federal stimulus money will resurrect the project.

The corridor is one of 10 nationwide eligible to tap into $8 billion earmarked for high-speed rail through President Barack Obama's economic stimulus package. Obama's 2010 budget also commits $1 billion annually for the next five years to high-speed rail.

"This is an exciting thing," Gov. Charlie Crist said Friday after meeting with Florida Department of Transportation Secretary Stephanie Kopelousos. "We're obviously going to apply for the money."

Crist said he won't know until mid June, when federal officials release funding details, what type of financial commitment will be required from the state to get the federal money.

But the cash could go a long way toward relieving highway congestion in the state, he said.

"We're a state of almost 20 million people and an awful lot of vehicles," he said.

The first round of federal stimulus funding will be for projects that already have preliminary engineering and environmental work completed.

"Florida is closer to being shovel ready than any other corridor in the nation," said C.C. "Doc" Dockery, a Lakeland businessman and former member of the Florida High Speed Rail Authority.

The first phase would be a $2.5 billion connection between Tampa and Orlando in the Interstate 4 median. The second phase would reach Miami parallel to Interstate 95.

The authority was created after Florida voters approved a constitutional amendment in 2000 mandating high-speed rail lines to link the state's major metropolitan areas.

But foes of rail, with then-Gov. Jeb Bush's support, got a repeal measure on the 2004 ballot and voters passed it.

Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio and Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said one of Bush's complaints about high-speed rail — that passengers would have no way to get around once they got off the train — has less weight now that plans for commuter rail are being developed in both areas.

"What we're doing now would certainly facilitate the success of a high-speed rail corridor from Tampa to Orlando and Orlando to Miami," Dyer said.

Crist said he has no qualms about supporting high speed rail even after voters nixed the constitutional amendment in 2004.

"The rationale there was that it was going to put a hole in the state budget. That's not an illegitimate concern," he said. "Thank goodness for the stimulus money."

Staff writer Bill Varian contributed to this report. Janet Zink can be reached at jzink@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3401.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/masstransit/article993169.ece

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

FayeforCure

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »
Thank you, Transportation Secretary Stephanie Kopelousos!!!

She had been supportive when the stimulus monies were first announced in February!

"The rationale there was that it (HSR) was going to put a hole in the state budget. That's not an illegitimate concern," he (Crist) said. "Thank goodness for the stimulus money."

I would be remiss, not to mention that every one of the 15 GOP Congressmen representing Florida voted AGAINST the stimulus monies coming to Florida.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:03:41 PM by FayeforCure »
In a society governed passively by free markets and free elections, organized greed always defeats disorganized democracy.
Basic American bi-partisan tradition: Dwight Eisenhower and Harry Truman were honorary chairmen of Planned Parenthood

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 12:09:11 PM »
Well, it should be interesting to see how this race for $13 billion, over the next five years, plays out.  You can't help but notice the quick change in the view of rail, all across the country, in a short period of time.  It shows the impact of leadership at the top.  Hopefully, it will rub off on local leadership here.

vicupstate

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »
Keep in mind that Crist may not run for re-election, but instead run for Senate.  Something to keep in mind when considering who to support for an open Governor's seat.

Just think how much further FL would be down the path if Jeb hadn't pushed for the High Speed amendment reversal. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

JaxNole

• Riverside Community Gardens
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »
Is our electorate so myopic that they fail to see other communities preparing to fight for as much funding as possible?  That failure to capitalize on these opportunities allows others to prosper? 

What are the real reasons Florida fails to view rail as viable and a value-added public service?

FayeforCure

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »
Is our electorate so myopic that they fail to see other communities preparing to fight for as much funding as possible?  That failure to capitalize on these opportunities allows others to prosper? 

What are the real reasons Florida fails to view rail as viable and a value-added public service?

The answer is simple: Our electorate has been rail-roaded by the "cut my taxes, keep government small" Republicans who don't believe in public investments, yet they love to get their own pay-check from the government.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:36:23 PM by FayeforCure »

JaxNole

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »
And when the distributed stimulus amounts (ex: $400 per individual, annualized) show an increase in paycheck amounts, are those people going to send that extra back to all the derogatory names for President Obama?

[Comment to make it relevant to thread]
Interesting how Jacksonville's inclusion on the route map identifies it as a southeast location, rather than being part of Florida.

civil42806

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 09:36:07 PM »
And when the distributed stimulus amounts (ex: $400 per individual, annualized) show an increase in paycheck amounts, are those people going to send that extra back to all the derogatory names for President Obama?

[Comment to make it relevant to thread]
Interesting how Jacksonville's inclusion on the route map identifies it as a southeast location, rather than being part of Florida.

hey we watched cnn last week !

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 11:02:03 PM »
Here is a route map of the proposed $2.5 billion Tampa-Orlando alignment.

http://www.floridahighspeedrail.org/2c_phases.html

JaxNole

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 11:15:46 PM »
@Civil
Did you?  That's wonderful.  I gain more information from different sources.

I actually read print versions of The NYT (courtesy of a gift subscription), WSJ (courtesy of work) and documents produced online by the Obama administration and the IRS.

Then I form my own conclusions.

Do you do the same with CNN?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:19:46 PM by JaxNole »

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 12:04:55 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UXquwh9t4EY&amp;color1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UXquwh9t4EY&amp;color1</a>
Amtrak could run the "AMTRAK FLORIDA" service if we obtain money to make it happen, but Amtrak runs trains where the private railroads launched land cruises. Notice a difference in the last RIO GRANDE ZEPHYR (yeah, the movie guy couldn't spell it) in 1983 and the first Amtrak Zephyr the following day, BOTH in Denver.

Thank you, Transportation Secretary Stephanie Kopelousos!!!

She had been supportive when the stimulus monies were first announced in February!

"The rationale there was that it (HSR) was going to put a hole in the state budget. That's not an illegitimate concern," he (Crist) said. "Thank goodness for the stimulus money."

I would be remiss, not to mention that every one of the 15 GOP Congressmen representing Florida voted AGAINST the stimulus monies coming to Florida.

It's not that clear cut Faye, I wish it were. That the Republicans voted as a block is no surprise, the HSR deal that has been cooked up by "WHO-EVER", is a complete disaster. It assumes way too much, and is apparently planned and drawn by someone who doesn't know the difference between a locomotive and track. The FOX plan is ridiculous:

Goes from Airport to Airport, not from City to City.
Bypasses City Center track and stations
Based on a state that has spent 100 years + promoting roads over rail.
Assumes that we can skip the Amtrak - higher density - higher speeds steps and go right into full trains on untried routes.
Leaves Jacksonville and the panhandle out of the system in our life times.
Doesn't recognize that frequent and multiple rail stops and high speeds do not go together.
Follows Interstate Highways which misses the core of every town on the routes.
Involves all new track and right-of-way construction when we already have a under utilized track system.
Ignores the fact that current Amtrak Equipment could easily go 120 MPH with track adjustments and overpasses.

... well you get the point, it just completely misses the mark and will cost us 10X what we SHOULD spend, and if we go this route, we STILL Won't have decent intercity service.

The state has been riding high since the real estate boom of the 1920's, developers plus roads equal more land opened and begets more development and roads. Cut deals, clear cut the land, and build the cookie cutter cracker boxes. Get more funding and extend MORE roads, and build even MORE cracker boxes. Stimulus? grab it for amenity's, shrubs, community water parks, ponds and pools, retail strips and condos. Don't design the new burbs for buses or transit because we don't want "those people" in our gated communities. Riffraff brings down the price. Use 100% of the stimulus for attractors, so we can quickly build out the neighborhoods and max out the profit. Getting road funding is essential to our future and helps build obscene profits. Mass Transit doesn't make a profit so we shouldn't have to pay for it... Freeways really are "FREE!"

TRUST ME, their logic starts making more sense after 4/5THS of a bottle of Southern Comfort.

OCKLAWAHA

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 12:30:45 AM »
Here is a route map of the proposed $2.5 billion Tampa-Orlando alignment.

http://www.floridahighspeedrail.org/2c_phases.html

What a waste of ink and money. So if I lived in 60% of the population area of Metro-Orlando, IE: Sanford, Lake Mary, Altamonte Springs, Apopka, Winter Park, Maitland etc... I could:

HIGH SPEED RAIL EXPERIENCE TAKE ONE:

From any of the above communities I first get in the car and head down highway 436 toward the airport, in order to get to Tampa. 45 minutes later I'm finally on the approach to OIA and looking for a parking space. Plop down $20 bucks to park and head for the train terminal. Train leaves in 30 minutes, I get the ticket and get on board. 1 hour and 15 minutes after I first left the house we are pulling out of the AIRPORT TERMINAL and racing toward MICKEY STATION. We pull into MICKEY at 1 hour and 25 minutes since I left home. Lakeland comes and goes at 1 hour and 45 minutes into my trip, just a 30 second dwell time and another 15 minutes of train travel separate me from the Tampa Airport Terminal.

HIGH SPEED RAIL TAKE TWO:

I get up and drag myself into the car at the same moment as in the above tale. I get on I-4 and head WEST, Orlando, Mickey Village, Lakeland, and 1 and 1/2 hours after I leave home, I'm pulling into the Tampa Airport Terminal. WHY? Because EVERYBODY KNOWS that if one wants to visit Tampa, Orlando, Miami, or Jacksonville, you should always park at the airport. Hell, just look around town, how many of you will park at JIA for the Jazz Festival? River Walk? Art Market? Jags Game?

"HELLO??? EARTH TO TALLAHASSEE... COME IN TALLAHASSEE... "

Don't Piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, this train is DESIGNED to fail and it won't take rocket science to see proof.

OCKLAWAHA