Author Topic: Local childrens' music scene? Kiddie music shows?  (Read 1487 times)

ac

Local childrens' music scene? Kiddie music shows?
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:35:17 AM »
When my wife was expecting our 7-month-old, I was trying to find information on kids' music that would be good for her, wouldn't make mom and I homicidal and wasn't tied to some product the producers want her to demand we buy.

I wanted to be prepared when the time comes, so we can provide her an alternative to the Wiggles/Barney/etc.

I found there are a lot of good and intelligent artists out there who specialize in music for kids, on both an independent/alternative and major label scale.

I remember reading a few articles about local and touring kids musicians in other cities who, on the weekends, would have daytime concerts at local clubs, so little kids and their parents could go to a show, dance and have a good time in a family-friendly and age-appropriate environment.

So, I figured this would be a good place to ask-  are there any local musicians or performers in Jax who specialize or have an interest in kids' music or performing shows for kids/families?

Have there been or are there plans to have shows? 

If not, is there anyone with the means/connections to do so that has any interest in this concept?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:15:27 PM by ac »

ac

Re: Local childrens' music scene? Kiddie music shows?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:25:53 AM »
Here are a couple examples of what I'm talking about- neither limit performers to kids' musicians, but the concept is for early-afternoon shows that are geared toward families.  Adults that wish to see the bands must be accompanied by a child, and vice-versa.

http://www.blogher.com/node/4105:
Got kids? Love music? Then Rock-n-Romp is for you. Started in the Washington D.C. area five years ago by  ::) rockin' mom Debbie Lee, Rock-n-Romp is "a family friendly concert series showcasing fantastic local-area musicians and bands. Shows are held during the day in a relaxed, kid-safe environment. The volume might be low, but the music is designed for parents and kids both in mind. Kids enjoy the music, experiment with instruments, dance, or just enjoy the other activities available to them, and parents get the ever-so-rare opportunity to listen to great live music and enjoy a beer (Emphasis mine) with other parents. Romps give parents who miss their social life (Again, emphasis mine) a chance to get out, enjoy some music that might be new to them, and expose their kids to great bands in a safe, friendly environment."
Rock-n-Romp has spinoff groups in Baltimore, Austin and Memphis as well.

http://kidrockersusa.com/:
Kidrockers/Madrockers produces concerts that feature some of the most engaging and vital artists in indie music and comedy.  These all ages shows are designed to bring families together to enjoy new music.  Artists perform original (not specifically made for children) songs in a manner that is both authentic and kid-friendly.  Past artists include Mathew and Ira from Nada Surf, Los Campesinos!, Ra Ra Riot, Langhorne Slim and The War Eagles, Tad Kubler (of the Hold Steady), Vivian Girls, Pela, The Subjects, The Jealous Girlfriends, Harlem Shakes, Phonograph, Palomar, Bishop Allen, The Spinto Band, Locksley, Chris Barron, Undisputed Heavyweights, Levy, Looker, Reggie Watts, Wakey!Wakey!, The Bones Royal and The Bloodsugars.  Hosted by Seth Herzog and Craig Baldo and sometimes Greg Behrendt or Patton Oswalt.

"We love to hear great new music -- and so do our kids." says Kidrockers founder Beth Lorge.  "We want to create an opportunity for kids and parents to discover artists and get to see them play live in a fun, safe and comfortable environment."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:13:34 PM by ac »