Author Topic: Omaha gets a new zoo director (Jacksonville's)  (Read 4953 times)

JaxNative68

• Be obscure clearly
Re: Omaha gets a new zoo director (Jacksonville's)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 06:04:26 PM »
Wandering around the Jax Zoo is a great way to spend a few hours, and that's all it takes to see everything . . . and I do not mean this in a bad way.  My family and I have been to many zoos around the country when we are on vacation and many of them are overwhelming in size.  Even though I think that some of the exhibits could be larger for the animal’s sake, especially after reading about their range in the wild, the Jax Zoo is the perfect size for spending a quality afternoon with your children.  Get a membership to the Jax, visit it frequently and also take advantage of the discounts received at affiliate zoos.  You’ll be surprised, it doesn’t get old.

Hopefully the Jax Zoo will get a new director that will keep the positive vibe going.

CMG22

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 07:13:01 PM »
I guess when you don't have a beach to go to, you go to the zoo.  Congrats to Omaha for their zoo, but I still think the beach smells better...  :)
"Go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company."  --Mark Twain

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »
Jacksonville's Zoo is waaaaay better than Atlanta's Zoo. The Jacksonville Zoo is one of the city's hidden gems IMO, they should hype it up more. Omaha may be better than Jacksonville, and if this is in fact true, That means Omaha has a really nice one.
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

blizz01

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 09:26:52 PM »
They should work with the River Taxi(s) & have seasonal service from the Landing and/or hotels.............Yeah, that would be pretty cool.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 09:32:29 PM »
CSX Train Days
January 17 and 18, 2009

Come and enjoy $1 Zoo train rides all day compliments of:

Funny this site would be talking about the zoo right before this weekend.

Lenny Smash

civil42806

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »
Jacksonville's Zoo is waaaaay better than Atlanta's Zoo. The Jacksonville Zoo is one of the city's hidden gems IMO, they should hype it up more. Omaha may be better than Jacksonville, and if this is in fact true, That means Omaha has a really nice one.

Agree with that Atlantas zoo sucks.  Our zoo is quite nice, could be bigger but the location limits that.  The one zoo I was suprised by was Dallas.  My wife and I went out for a Dalla/Jaguar game many years ago and ended  up spending 4 hours there and didn't realize how much time passed

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 07:48:36 AM »
The Jacksonville Zoo is really a great place to visit. It doesnt get the credit it deserves as do most nice things and places in Jacksonville. We have a lot to be proud of and the zoo is one of them.

copperfiend

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 08:23:06 AM »
I really like the zoo. I think for its limited size that they do a great job. I do wish it was bigger though. I remember there was a master plan about 10-15 years ago that involved expanding the zoo quite a bit. There were even plans for an indoor penguin habitat.

Deuce

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 09:28:15 AM »
My gf and I love the zoo, we've talking about getting married there even. I don't think the property size is a limitation to what a zoo can do, just look at the National Zoo in D.C. Here's a progressive idea: hydrofoil ferry service that goes from downtown to the zoo!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 10:26:46 AM »
I love the zoo.  I have a friend from south Florida who insists on going to the zoo every time he is up here. He enjoys it far more than anything they have down south.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »
Deuce, the river taxi used to have a Zoo stop which was fantastic!  I don't know why they canned it though.

The new Asia exibit is great and will only get better as the plant life matures.  Everyone should try handfeeding the Koi, they are hilarious!  Sounds like they're trying to kiss you while they're sucking the food out of your hands.

stjr

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 01:07:58 PM »
The Jacksonville Zoo from yester-year!

While we are at it:

Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 05:24:02 PM »

Deuce, the river taxi used to have a Zoo stop which was fantastic!  I don't know why they canned it though.

The new Asia exhibit is great and will only get better as the plant life matures.  Everyone should try handfeeding the Koi, they are hilarious!  Sounds like they're trying to kiss you while they're sucking the food out of your hands.

The director left but he really DIDN'T want to go! Honest, trust me, I know him. He told me when he was approached he told them NO! Then they raised the bar on pay and benefits, he told me NO DEAL. He then said he put in an INSANE price for his services, as well as crazy numbers for perks, moving, house, etc... "I thought that would be the end of it," he said. To his and everyone else it was a SHOCK when the Omaha Zoo said, "OKAY! Whatever you want".

Can't blame him but I've got a sick feeling that we just lost another WALT DISNEY, and that is going to hurt us big time.

Also, the Zoo is a lot bigger then you think. They hold or held the option on the land above North Jacksonville Baptist Church on Main Street. The zoo also owns the land up to the ditch on the GATE CONCRETE plant. Everything from Zoo parkway to the Trout River is theirs. I have a project there but it's stalled out due his leaving?

The Jaguar exhibit is right out of "the mind of a Disney," so much so it made me home sick for MEDELLIN! The new exhibits will cover the area of the orient which is partly open, then expand all the way to the Gate boundary. This will almost double the size. I'd love to see a day cruise include the Zoo from downtown, as well as transit right to the front gate. (JTA just cut the Zoo route ON WEEKENDS!). There is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, more to come and y'all are going to be stunned! As a wise ass critic of my beloved city leadership, I'll confess this is a home run in any teams book. Excellent work. Unreal, Big, Huge, perfection! GO TO THE ZOO you'll be amazed.

OCKLAWAHA

Dapperdan

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »
Can you give us a hint, Ock? Is it another zoo exhibit? Are the expanding the train out to downtown? Are they building a roller coaster? What, what, what?lol