Author Topic: Omaha gets a new zoo director (Jacksonville's)  (Read 4952 times)

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
Omaha gets a new zoo director (Jacksonville's)
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:01:29 PM »
King of the jungle: Omaha gets a new zoo director

Dennis Pate knew there would be some sacrifices if he left his job as zoo director in sunny Jacksonville, Fla., to take over Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo.

As if he needed to be reminded of one of the most obvious changes, he was greeted by sub-zero temperatures when he came in for his final job interview.

In 2002 he got his first chance to lead a zoo, taking over what is now called Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens.

There, he oversaw the opening of the zoo's first world-class exhibit (devoted to jaguars), added a botanical garden, helped raise more than $37 million, and saw the zoo's annual attendance increase by 40 percent.

Still, he said, the chance to move to Omaha is like "going from college ball to the pros." Compared to Jacksonville, Omaha's zoo has four times as many animals, twice as many employees and draws double the number of annual visitors.

Full Article:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10537276

copperfiend

Re: Omaha gets a new zoo director (Jacksonville's)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
That last statement is sad.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 03:50:17 PM »
We need to keep the ball rolling.  The zoo has improved so much I wish he hadn't used that analogy but hopefully he wasn't trying to be insulting. I am going two or three times a year and hope it continues to grow.  I wonder if Omaha's zoo has the potential to grow at a rate of 40%. The new I95 exit will make visiting this much more simple and convenient.
Lenny Smash

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »
At least its not in pop warner anymore.  It can't be insulting if its a fact.  Nevertheless, the zoo has come a long way.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 04:34:58 PM »
In other news, there's going to be an I-95 exit?  Good thing.  It'll help raise awareness of the zoo... in the way that something like that would have that effect in this town.  Stranger things have happened.

Good times.  Dying to go to the zoo but have yet to get myself up there.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

JeffreyS

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 04:46:33 PM »
They just opened that exit and it is great.
Lenny Smash

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 04:49:21 PM »
(sheepish grin) Shows you how much I make it north of the Core.  Thanks for the update.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

Dapperdan

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:29:33 PM »
The zoo is really a nice gem for the city. If you have not been out lately, you should definitely go check it out. This is the best time to go. The animals are actually moving. if you go in the summer, you get to see a bunch of sleeping animals.
Hopefully, we will get up there with the opening of the new Asian exhibit this Spring, I think that will be good.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »
The Jaguar exibit is amazing.  I took the family up there a couple weeks back and got to watch a Jaguar playing in the cool water like a kid in a pool.  He looked to be having lots of fun and didn't mind the mass of attention a few feet away behind the glass.

blizz01

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
The zoo is great - it's come such a long way in the past 5 years.  For a bit of nostalgia, there's a great carousel on site as well - I'm not sure that I can count on (more) than one hand how many are left in North Florida (St. Augustine).  Another tidbit that was mentioned on this site before:  YOU CAN TAKE YOUR BOAT TO THE ZOO - ADMISSION IS FREE FROM THE DOCKS.

So is the new exit just for "THE ZOO"?

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »
That last statement is sad.

Eh, the article may have been a little slanted, but nevertheless it really sounds as if the Omaha Zoo is a premiere facility and research institution in this country. So, I'm by no means insulted by the analogy.

blizz01

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 12:59:57 AM »
Yeah - to that point, check their site:

http://www.omahazoo.com/

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 02:18:45 PM »
No, the new exit is for Zoo Parkway (aka Hecksher Drive).  Its just been redone and traffic flows much better.

The one thing I did notice is that the main entrance to the zoo is still somewhat hidden.  I've alway expected a more eyecatching entryway complete with themed signage.

JeffreyS

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 02:25:46 PM »
Themed signage from 95 would be good also but they seem to be doing projects in rapid order so maybe it's coming.
Lenny Smash

copperfiend

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 02:34:46 PM »
The Jax Zoo is nice for it's size but still seems very small. The jaguars exhibit is the best thing. I haven't been in a few years but the Lowery Park Zoo in Tampa had a terrific manatee exhibit.