Author Topic: Uh-Oh, What's wrong with this picture?  (Read 5398 times)

blizz01

Uh-Oh, What's wrong with this picture?
« on: December 11, 2008, 07:21:19 AM »

It doesn't get any more incriminating than this.  Looks like Folio captured the picture of the month in Hemming Plaza as this poor guy didn't know that bronze statues shouldn't be spray painted with enamel. 

From Folio Weekly

Terry Lorince was on her way home last Tuesday night when an employee of Downtown Vision Inc. stopped her on the street. “Don’t bite my head off,” he pleaded, “But there’s someone on the phone that needs to talk to you.” That “someone” was Folio Weekly, and we were about to give DVI’s executive director a giant headache. The reason for the 5:05 p.m. call was to alert Lorince to the fact that a contract worker on DVI’s graffiti removal team had deliberately spray-painted the bronze Charlie Bennett statue brown.   â€œOh, oh no,” Lorince stammered. “They painted the statue?” After a moment, she added, “I’m speechless.”

The iconic bronze sculpture of Bennett, who represented Jacksonville in the U.S. House of Representatives for 44 years and was Florida’s longest serving congressman, was dedicated in April 2004 and is located at the Southeast corner of Hemming Plaza in downtown Jacksonville. Designed by sculptor William Duffy, the statue cost $137,000 and sits on a base of marble featuring the words, friend, scholar, statesman, preservationist, citizen and war hero.

The statue was targeted by an unwitting member of the Downtown Clean Team, which contracts with DVI through Catholic Charities to remove graffiti and maintain downtown areas. The worker, who’d been removing graffiti from an adjacent JFK plaque, subsequently turned his attention to the Bennett statue. Apparently mistaking its green patina for mold, he grabbed a can of brown spray enamel and began coating the statue with paint.

Since the worker had been using a spray solvent to clean the plaque, it wasn’t immediately clear what he was doing. But after a few minutes, the man told a co-worker they’d have to come back later, because he’d run out of “paint.” Folio Weekly Photo Editor Walter Coker, who was taking photographs in Hemming Plaza, said the comment prompted him to zoom in on his photographs after downloading them on his office computer. The spray can, he said, clearly said “enamel.”

When told about the damage, Richard Rist, owner of the Large Art Company in Baltimore, Md., where Duffy works and which delivered the statue, initially assumed the paint was graffiti. Upon learning a maintenance worker had deliberately painted the statue, he replied, “No way! Oh my god. Oh my gosh. Oh, man.”

Rist said that removing the paint is possible, but “it’s going to be a pain in the butt.” He estimated that it would cost anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 for his company to come down and repair the statue, but estimated that a local artist could probably complete the job with a can of acetone or naptha and a day’s painstaking labor. Rist suggested the city should call him to find out how best to handle the damage. “I’m surprised they haven’t called us already,” he said.

Lorince, who called back several hours after being notified of the damage, said dealing with the matter was “draining” and that she had a terrible headache, but added, “I’m so happy you called and told me this.” She said the worker had been reassigned, and would not be a part of the Clean Team any longer. She added that DVI had suspended all graffiti removal operations until they could figure out what happened. Although she didn’t have an estimate of what it might cost, she said, “We’re going to fix the problem and fix the statue.” Lorince added, “If there’s any good news, it’s that only half the statue is painted.”
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:24:33 AM by blizz01 »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Uh-Oh, What's wrong with this picture?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 07:31:17 AM »
 :o O-M-G... This is amazing... A short trip to Hemming is in my future... :o
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:43:27 AM »
I would have painted his coat black with a gold or blue tie.... 

That is pretty funny but sad at the same time.  Poor guy must feel pretty bad right about now.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:55:43 AM »
It is just sooo... so... Jacksonville... :(
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

blizz01

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 09:14:50 AM »
He actually did a nice job  :D - Was very careful not to get any paint on Chuck's face. Suffice to say he won't be asked to be on the Statue of Liberty spruce up crew.

Joe

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 09:59:59 AM »
Wow. That's just special. He looks like a winner. 

Although Folio is being their typical sleazy selves. Yes, I'm sure that "after he loaded the photos" the photographer noticed that it was enamel paint. Bulls**t. The photographer obviously knew the worker was making a mistake while it happened, but didn't want to say anything so they could get a better story once the paint job was finished.

copperfiend

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 10:10:11 AM »
It is just sooo... so... Jacksonville... :(

Yes, it is.

JaxNole

• Riverside Community Gardens
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:53:22 AM »
Gee, if a worker is doing his job and he does not report to you, why interfere with his work and not address it with his supervisor?

I find this Folio theory rubbish.

blizz01

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »
She said the worker had been reassigned, and would not be a part of the Clean Team any longer.

Seems like it would be a pretty quick lesson learned - does the guy really need kicked off of the crew & reassigned?  Who is this mystery man?   >:(

jacksonvilleconfidential

• Jacksonville Confidential
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 12:09:49 PM »
We are in the process of forming an angry mob to hunt this fellow down.
Sarcastic and Mean Spirited

TPC

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 12:48:31 PM »
This is what happens when art education is eliminated from schools.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 01:06:21 PM »
This is what happens when art education is eliminated from schools.
Agree.  And Shop.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »
Cmon... shiny brown is much classier than dull bronze with a moldy green patina... :D

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 01:11:39 PM »
LOL.  Snob ;)  Must've been all those arty-art classes you took.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 01:12:39 PM »
I wonder if he painted his pants a different color... :D