Author Topic: New Route Revealed for BRT North Corridor  (Read 6993 times)

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Re: New Route Revealed for BRT North Corridor
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
Hello Proff. The key is in the mix. Without it, it's just a bus, With it, it's MASS TRANSIT. Your right though that SF is the Valahalla of Transportation.

OCKLAWAHA

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »
If I might add... It is the entire Bay area as mass transit efficiently connects SF, Oakland, San Jose, and all the cities in between.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 10:30:57 AM »
Thanks Troll, in FACT the last election passed new funding for North Bay Commuter Rail to return, now they're talking all the way to Eureka again. The old Northwestern Pacific "REDWOODS" train route. The Eel River canyon is going to be the Bitch!

OCKLAWAHA

uptowngirl

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 01:02:18 PM »
But what a beautiful trip that would be!!!!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 01:37:07 PM »
Oh it's beautiful alright, back in the day girl... Anyway, they have to rebuild whole sections that the river took out back around 1997. It's an amazing ride (or was) anyway, cruising along 100' above the rapids on a shelf - tunnel - bridge - tunnel - bridge - tunnel - shelf - tunnel - bridge - shelf - tunnel etc...  Not a flat spot in 50 miles.

By the way the old REDWOOD was operated with RDC or RAIL DIESEL CARS. A newer version by passenger cars on the Eureka Southern Railroad. After the ES bit the dust due to bad track conditions in the canyon, the Northwest Rail Authority took control and operated freight out of Eureka until the flood closed the line. Now looks like we are going to get it back.

OCKLAWAHA

Matt

• My Band!!!
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »
I am currently visiting San Francisco and their primary mode of public transportation is the bus and it works great for the city.  In San Francisco they really mix up transit from the electric buses, to motorized buses, to cable cars, to light rail.  I think Jax can learn a lot from San Fran's bus system and how well it works here.  The most important thing I have found is frequency.  Not waiting long for the bus makes all of the difference.
agreed. i usually have to get up an extra 30 minutes early in the mornings to catch the bus because of its schedule... so most of the time i drive.
My home is my body.
My protection is right action.