Author Topic: New Route Revealed for BRT North Corridor  (Read 6988 times)

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Re: New Route Revealed for BRT North Corridor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »
Hello class, welcome to BRT 101... (yeah, I really AM a smart ass).

The GILLIG BRT variant is a combination of styling packages applied to the GILLIG Low Floor bus to enhance appeal, differentiate service, and make a noticeable impact on the community.

The goal of the BRT variant is to add appealing styling without compromising function, performance, reliability, and parts commonality. This variant adds noticeable styling features to the proven Low Floor base vehicle, so while appearance is dramatically enhanced, the functional and working parts of the bus are left unchanged. Suspensions, steering, propulsion, and other chassis systems are the same as in the proven and reliable Low Floor buses, as are the HVAC, doors, driver and passenger amenities. This allows most parts, training, preventative maintenance, usage, as well as vehicle dependability to be common with the rest of the GILLIG Low Floor bus fleet.

The BRT variant includes three new cosmetic styling feature packages. First, we re-designed the front cap to incorporate a one-piece sloping windshield and triangular quarter windows. A new headlight arrangement, bumper, and a new dash, along with a new rear cap and matching taillights add to the stylish look. Additionally, flush side windows can be integrated for a smooth and clean side appearance. Front and rear roof fairings can be added as an optional third element. These cosmetic changes maximize appearance impact while minimizing functional changes.

The BRT variants are available on 30', 35', and 40' Low Floor models and can be ordered along with the Hybrid variant for maximum community, environmental and economic impact.  If you want to make a strong and positive impact on your community with minimal product or performance risk, this is the way to do it!

THE GILLIG HYBRID

The GILLIG Hybrid is a variant of the Low Floor model that is powered by a clean diesel hybrid electrical propulsion system. It reduces emissions, saves on fuel and is smoother and quieter than a conventional bus, so it is environmentally and economically responsible while also being passenger and community friendly.

The GILLIG Hybrid bus development was started in the early 1990’s and was the result of years of research and testing which included field testing of many alternative fuel technologies (Methanol, Ethanol, Fumigated Ethanol, bio-diesel, CNG, LNG, LPG and Hydrogen fuel cells). The diesel hybrid was chosen as being the most promising new propulsion system with the fewest concerns and the most benefits.

The hybrid drive system is supplied by GM’s Allison Division, and uses the latest parallel drive technology which is more efficient than the traditional series systems.  Long life, non-hazardous, and maintenance free NiMH batteries capture and store braking energy and advanced solid state controllers manage and blend power sources to optimize performance and efficiency.

This variant is available in 30', 35', and 40' Low Floor bus models, and can be combined with the BRT styling packages.  As usual, Altoona testing shows these buses to be the most reliable (fewest issues, least downtime), the quietest and the most fuel-efficient. This is the way to save money and fuel while also getting praise from the community and environmentalists!

Environmental responsibility is a necessity and at GILLIG its a reality.

Environmental responsibility? It IS at Gillig, but to save money, JTA and FDOT bought the "style of the BRT" with standard diesel equipment.

Hey, at least we got the cool original pimped out paint scheme...

But all things being equal, this is a GREAT MOVE by JTA, and once it clicks, your traffic problems may even get solved in the process. I, for once will be cheering JTA to do it right - and as it now looks, we could be headed in that direction.

uptowngirl

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 08:34:57 PM »
Will this get the buses off of pearl Street or LESS buses on Pearl St? Can we not have one street that we don't have to get stuck behind or watch out for buses trying to run us off the road? Why is there a bus route on Main, Pearl, and now Blvd???!!!

if you can't tell I am NOT a bus fan...rail is whole different story though!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 09:09:08 PM »
The patrons on Pearl might feel different about those buses, they're running on a Streetcar route that dates to about 1900!

That said, the BRT systems tend to "suck up" all surrounding routes, but consolidation is not always a good thing when distribution is your business. The new trend is toward BRT doing the long haul, then order short buses for neighborhood services or feeder routes.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND - like it or not, the BUS is not the enemy. The Auto IS! Even if the automobile could be made to run on dirty bath water, and produce only pure mountain air, it still has paved over the equal of about 8 Northeastern States! That alone will change the climate and God-knows-what will happen as a bi-product of the auto game. Weather gone nuts? Squid that eat people accending to ALASKA? Mountain Lions that haven't done damage in 50 years, now attacking joggers and eating bikers in LOS ANGELES? Rattle snake invasions of homes in Lancaster CA? Black bears invading rural NJ? Who knows? How much have we done to cause this?

Which inspired me to my "first effort" at cyber-art yesterday.

OCKLAWAHA

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »
You mean to tell me you will not be riding on our upscale BRT. The rest of the counrty is envy of us.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 12:21:17 AM »
Don't sweat it Keith, I'll be the one with the straw!

OCKLAWAHA

uptowngirl

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »
I wonder if we swabbed the inside of a bus what we would find? Maybe it is a good thing it will run right past Shands LOL!!!!

Anyway I have ridden the bus to work and back in many places I have lived. The majority of these places did not have a bus route running parallel to each other every two blocks or a bus stop on every corner through residential areas. They <GASP> expected people to be able to walk a block or two to catch a bus!

btw, unless the car has a home stereo system and is balsting rap it doesn't rattle the windows of my house...

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 07:16:01 AM »
The purpose of a BRT route is to eliminate the multiple bus routes.  If they do turn Blvd. into a BRT corridor, there's a good chance you won't have routes paralleling each other every two blocks. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

uptowngirl

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »
If it replaces the Pearl St route then this is GOOD, very very GOOD news for a lot of people.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 10:30:22 AM »
I don't believe in practice it is going to wipe out ANY routes. I think you will see the changes come to sections of routes, area's that are long on miles and short on ridership will fold over to the new BRT. Those with heavy ridership are not the ones you want to target for the axe - like it or not.

This is what I ment by "BRT tends to suck up surrounding routes", but it WON'T eliminate them. Like a trip to the Airport, one can use Main or I-95 or some combination of both. BRT will just give JTA more options, it's not going to do a hell of a lot to cast a magic spell over our buses and morph them into trains.

Buses are best at what buses do, and trains are best at what trains do...

OCKLAWAHA

uptowngirl

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 11:50:09 AM »
But if they are all coming through the area and headed to the same place downtown why have stops on ever other corner two blocks form eachother. This slows down both routes and just adds duplicate traffic. I think people can walk two blocks to catch a dang bus or am I wrong?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 11:58:39 AM »
Going off of Ock's comments, while it won't necessarily "eliminate" routes, it should result in several routes being rerouted to eliminate the duplication of services.  This was the whole purpose they wanted to originally stick the downtown E/W corridor down Adams Street. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
I think people can walk two blocks to catch a dang bus or am I wrong?

I don't think your wrong on this, but it is not that clear. There are people that could and would walk 4 miles to get around town, and those who cannot EVER walk at all. JTA has handicap service for those who use them, but then, there is this whole gray area of folks that can walk a block, two blocks, 1/3 mile, down the driveway, etc. Do we want to put all these riders on the "short bus".

OCKLAWAHA

uptowngirl

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 02:25:07 PM »
I know you do not really want me to answer that LOL!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 04:57:57 PM »
Gotta love you girl! Habla SUCRE SAL?

OCKLAWAHA

TheProfessor

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 12:13:53 AM »
I am currently visiting San Francisco and their primary mode of public transportation is the bus and it works great for the city.  In San Francisco they really mix up transit from the electric buses, to motorized buses, to cable cars, to light rail.  I think Jax can learn a lot from San Fran's bus system and how well it works here.  The most important thing I have found is frequency.  Not waiting long for the bus makes all of the difference.