Author Topic: Springfield Development Assessment  (Read 5524 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Springfield Development Assessment
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »
Zoo, I'm suprised to hear that you are disappointed in my opinion that both groups should strive to do more.  Imo, no one is ever at a level where they should not have the will to strive for improvement.  I hope in the coming months that both groups do what is necessary to become better facilitators for continued growth in Springfield.  If I'm still around in the next few months, I plan to be a part in helping this happen.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »
Good point.  The consumer, market and actual neighborhood demographics will ultimately have more say than neighborhood groups if business "X" expects to keep their doors open.  The role our neighborhood groups should play is to help facilitate our businesses to be as successful as they can.

This is why some businesses are closing/dying - Gold Coin on Main, Carribean Stone, Springfield Station - the consumer is speaking already. The businesses that are closing are doing so because they aren't adapting to the changing marketplace. SPAR and residents have made efforts to reach out, support, and give meaningful feedback to businesses, but many just haven't been open to change (I'm hopeful this will end!)

Here's an example: the store on 3rd & Market. They have made some attempts to improve the store through carrying wine, getting some products customers have requested, and keeping parking area cleaner. It is an improvement, and I shop there for certain items to show I appreciate the changes they have made. However, they also continue to carry some products that are out of date, won't remove the bars from the windows or improve exterior with a paint job and an awning or two, and improve some of their product lines/offerings. Will they be able to compete with the Uptown Market that opens 2 blocks away at 3rd & Main? Time will tell.

It depends.  From the look of it, 3rd & Main is setting itself up to appeal to a higher end demographic.  One that's willing and has the means to spend a little more for experience and high end product.  If this is the case, the community is large enough to potentially support both since the higher end demographic is smaller in numbers than the value driven one.  Plus its helping fill a niche in the market that has not been met.

Also, competition can be a good thing.  When I lived in Lakeland, I had a neighborhood who made his wife mow his yard twice a week.  The guy next door then hired a lawn service company to keep his yard pristine.  I hated spending my Saturdays in the yard, but I also didn't want to have the poorest maintained yard on the street.  One guy's actions caused the rest of the block to invest more time in maintaining their yards and in the end, the visual condition of the entire street improved because of it.  I'm hoping spots like 3rd & Main and Premier Pharmacy will have a similar impact.

Getting back to 3rd & Main and 8th & Main, perhaps its time to look at these areas as two that cater to different groups.  8th & Main is value driven while 3rd & Main will appeal to higher end demographic.  If we view things in this manner it will help move forward the idea of clustering similar type development together.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:40:00 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

zoo

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 11:04:10 AM »
Imo, no one is ever at a level where they should not have the will to strive for improvement.

I totally agree with this, but what it comes down to in Springfield with SPAR/SAMBA is capacity/resource availability, both in terms of people and money. This is precisely why I keep begging for volunteers/fundraising for these orgs.

Want a block or two of Main St kept clean by proprietors? How about a team of hosebib auditors (how many and who has/pays for them?) Then can this community convince Pasco to make another donation through SPAR's Community Contribution Tax Credit Program (of hoses, of course).

This is a prime example of what I have said throughout. Tools (data, programs, even some financing mechanisms) are in place through work done by the evil SPAR. What is needed is manpower and money.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 11:14:35 AM »
The Main Street construction project is going to keep that stretch dirty for few months.  However, this is a great time to compile building availability, leasing information and putting a solid plan together (which is happening).  Keep preaching these ideas, in the end the process will pay off. 

Threads like this are a good thing because they generate discussion from multiple point of views.  While some may get upset with the process the result leads to a better end product. 

An example is JTA's BRT plan.  If we never raised hell about that thing, Adams Street would be a construction zone for buses by now.  We'd also have JTA still pushing to spend hundreds of millions running dedicated busways down I-95.  Now there's no Adams Street segment and the North corridor will use existing streets where residents actually live.  This never would have happened without dicussions like what is currently taking place on this forum.

Btw, I don't see any group in Springfield as "evil".  Unlike a suburb, the community just happens to be diverse.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:16:21 AM by thelakelander »

sheclown

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 08:53:02 PM »

Threads like this are a good thing because they generate discussion from multiple point of views.  While some may get upset with the process the result leads to a better end product. 

I agree, lakelander. And a better end neighborhood.

So, who shopped in Springfield today, and what did you buy?

uptowngirl

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 05:27:03 AM »
I bought gas at BP, Six Coffee's at Three Layers, Milk at the 7th St grocery, Lunch for four at Hola's, three bags of groceries at the Food lion, Dinner for four at Basils... it was a busy day at our household and no one felt like cooking  ;)

sheclown

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 06:30:41 AM »
awesome.

I bought coffee and chocolate pie at 3 Layers, lunch at Johnson's Pit BBQ off of Brentwood and Golfair (ahh...yumm), and shopped at a thrift store on Brentwood.

And today, Family Dollar on Main!

zoo

02roadking

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 09:33:09 AM »
A slice of chocolate pie at the Layers.
Springfield since 1998