Author Topic: City to host March 6 community meeting about DT Jacksonville public projects  (Read 10568 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The 5 p.m. event at the Main Library is the first of several to provide opportunities to comment.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/news/2024/mar/05/city-to-host-march-6-community-meeting-about-downtown-jacksonville-public-projects/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Is anyone here attending this? Curious what they’ll have to say.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I just popped in. I missed the first hour. They are talking about Southbank parks under I-95 at the Fuller Warren and Broadcast Place. Also revamping Flagler Street into a shared street. Sort of like Giralda Street in Downtown Coral Gables.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

WAJAS

Where do I go to find out about these meetings before they happen? lol

I swear I always find out the same day they occur. Is there a calendar that's kept up to date on the cities site or something?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I've been out of town a lot recently but I came across information about this meeting on social media and local media outlets this morning.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

fsu813

Where do I go to find out about these meetings before they happen? lol

I swear I always find out the same day they occur. Is there a calendar that's kept up to date on the cities site or something?

This one wasn't publicized well until the day before.

After a bunch of people pushed back about design changes to the new riverfront plaza park at a recent DIA meeting, Mayor’s office agreed to a series of public meetings to help ensure there is dialouge/transparency regarding details of Downtown public projects moving forward. There should be more meetings scheduled in the future, likely specific to individual projects.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

Charles Hunter

It needs a sign-in and says it doesn't have my email address in its library.

That didn't work
We're sorry, but xxxxx@xxxxx can't be found in the coj365-my.sharepoint.com directory. Please try again later, while we try to automatically fix this for you.

CityLife

Thanks for sharing. There really are a lot of balls up in the air downtown. Some on here (myself included) can at times be critical of the DIA, but it feels like they have been tasked with too much in too little time. Or perhaps it has been self-inflicted. Either way, strategically it seems like it would best to focus on a few key projects and execute them at a high level rather than be stretched thin on so many different things.

A good example of not executing at a high level is the proposed Flagler Avenue Share Street (Page 64 of presentation). I have pushed for years on here for DT Jax to develop a heavily pedestrian oriented street that is lined on both sides with outdoor seating and dining/entertainment. They even used my favorite example of this in Florida (Clematis Street) on the slide. So I respect the effort, but, Flagler Avenue between  Riverplace and Prudential can never be anything close to this. You have the Hampton Inn and Treaty Oak taking up the entire first half of the block (though I guess each could be retrofitted with street facing storefronts). Then there is a parking garage on the entire SW half of that block. Only the empty surface lot on the SE half seems ripe for storefronts. Then moving under the skyway there is a large parking garage covering the entire block adjacent to Riverplace. Unless there is something they know about those parking garages, this seems like a fruitless effort.

That said, there is a lot of other cool stuff in the slides. I really hope they can pull a lot of it off and stick the landing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 02:26:44 PM by CityLife »

Florida Power And Light

I was going to attend but after thirty years awaiting Jacksonville Downtown “ Potential “ going to Plaid Warp Speed,  I decided to Skip It.
A far related family member did have brief employment with DIA.
This  public info display effort likely to empower NFL/ Public Investment $$$$$$$.
My presence would have proven Obtuse.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 09:27:04 PM by Florida Power And Light »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Either way, strategically it seems like it would best to focus on a few key projects and execute them at a high level rather than be stretched thin on so many different things.

This. This is the key. Focus on a central strategic Northbank location and flood it with complimentary public and private development.....in the immediate short term. Don't worry about being the best 4 square mile downtown. Get one or two Northbank blocks being the best they can be and change the image of the actual center of town. No matter whether its a small town like Greenville, SC or a large one like Orlando, some central focus and investment took place before the environments we see today.

Captain Zissou

Either way, strategically it seems like it would best to focus on a few key projects and execute them at a high level rather than be stretched thin on so many different things.

This. This is the key. Focus on a central strategic Northbank location and flood it with complimentary public and private development.....in the immediate short term. Don't worry about being the best 4 square mile downtown. Get one or two Northbank blocks being the best they can be and change the image of the actual center of town. No matter whether its a small town like Greenville, SC or a large one like Orlando, some central focus and investment took place before the environments we see today.

Last year Scenic Jax had an event where somebody told all of the "power players" this very thing and it appears his comments fell on deaf ears.

fieldafm

• Editor

Last year Scenic Jax had an event where somebody told all of the "power players" this very thing and it appears his comments fell on deaf ears.

We hosted an event almost FIVE YEARS AGO, where Boyer told us that two-way streets and a concentrated corridor program was in the works.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/setting-the-table-for-urban-revitalization/

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/the-revitalization-of-downtown-pensacola/

https://news.wjct.org/news/2019-11-08/business-brief-dia-ceo-working-on-incentives-to-bring-restaurants-downtown

Here we are now. Park Street road diet hasn't broken ground, there is no dedicated commercial corridor program, and two-way streets still haven't started.  Yet, DIA gives a presentation about making a woonerf out of Flagler Street, building waterfront restaurants where the City previously tore down their existing waterfront restaurants, and creating dog parks where no one wants one.

The last two-way street conversion was completed THIRTEEN YEARS AGO, mostly because of advocates associated with this site.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/laura-street-one-of-apas-great-streets-in-america/

After a Chamber trip to Toronto in 2017, we have been told that there will be a music park along the river at the Times Union Center for Performing Arts. In late 2017, a proposal was put forth by private developers to temporarily activate that same space with a pop-up installation similar to The Warf in Miami. The then former head of DIA and the then-City Council president (who later became the head of DIA) told us absolutely not as construction for this music park was IMMINENT. 

https://dtjax.com/poi/performing-arts-center-music-commons/

Its 2024 now. There is still fencing around this site and no music park!

Meanwhile, Boyer makes backdoor deals to carve out BS 500-ft and mixed-used exemptions for self-storage units AFTER they were banned from parts of Downtown. 

https://jaxtoday.org/2024/02/20/opinion-southbank-storage-units-are-a-bad-deal/

Fine councilmember and previous San Marco advocate.  But maybe 'Downtown By Lori' isn't working?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 08:16:51 AM by fieldafm »