Author Topic: Phoenix Arts & Innovation District files master plan with city  (Read 12852 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Phoenix Arts & Innovation District files master plan with city
« on: January 18, 2024, 03:18:11 PM »
Ownership of the Phoenix Arts & Innovation District filed a master plan with the city in its next step to regenerate the North Springfield neighborhood.

Companies associated with Miami-based Future of Cities, which bought and assembled the properties comprising the 8.3-acre site, applied Jan. 10 with the city for more rezoning as a Planned Unit Development and for a land use amendment.

Future of Cities proposes a mixed-use development at 2336 N. Liberty St., a site bounded by Main, 15th and Liberty streets and the rail line, with three parcels south of the line.

The Jan. 3 master plan and PUD implementation document outlines road and street widths, the proposed Emerald Trail, phasing estimates, parking pedestrian circulation, building uses and heights, and architectural visualizations.

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/news/2024/jan/16/phoenix-arts-innovation-district-in-north-springfield-files-master-plan-with-city/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsu813

Re: Phoenix Arts & Innovation District files master plan with city
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 04:24:42 PM »
I believe the PUD allows 150 ft height. That would be quite the tower, out of scale for the area.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 05:31:01 PM »
The tallest building in the vicinity used to be the Florida Rock headquarters off West 21st Street. It was demolished about 10 years ago:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cKdQAFjaJEM4CJW56

So Swisher and UF Health's buildings are the big ones now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jax_Developer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 06:55:39 PM »
The tallest building in the vicinity used to be the Florida Rock headquarters off West 21st Street. It was demolished about 10 years ago:

Why was this building taken down?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 08:24:27 PM »
I'm not sure. I wish they would have kept it.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 10:32:35 PM »

Why was this building taken down?

It's easier in Jacksonville!

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 06:31:56 AM »
I believe the PUD allows 150 ft height. That would be quite the tower, out of scale for the area.

At this point it's hard to believe there would be any sort of market for that.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 08:07:48 AM »
No, but the PUD increases the value of the property and allows for some large scale infill to take place when and if the market ever arrives. I don't personally have a problem with it but its up to the adjacent residential areas to rally against the potential increase in density or change in sense of place if they are largely in opposition. On the other hand, they can also support the opportunity at increased density.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 08:09:36 AM by thelakelander »

CityLife

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 09:05:03 AM »
The City/Springfield probably got lucky that the PUD caps the height at 150 feet. I've posted in another thread about the Live Local Act that the state adopted last year. One of the key provisions of it is that a residential project that is comprised of 40% affordable units can build a building as tall as what is allowed within a mile. The Phoenix Arts and Innovation District is right next to two schools that are zoned Public Building and Facilities-1 (PBF-1). The PBF-1 district explicitly says there is no maximum height in that zoning district. Hypothetically, the Burj Khalifia could be built there under the Live Local Act.

A lot of developers are using the Live Local Act to play games of chicken with municipalities to gain some leverage in the development review process. In this case, they may be using it to to push the allowable height to 150'. I know I would.

I don't think 150' would be that impactful on anything to the south as there is a nice buffer between the homes south of the tracks, but it would probably stick out a bit north of 15th street. Either way, sometimes you have to make sacrifices if you want quality development. I doubt the development program makes any sense financially without the additional height.

Jax_Developer

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 09:58:30 AM »
The City/Springfield probably got lucky that the PUD caps the height at 150 feet. I've posted in another thread about the Live Local Act that the state adopted last year. One of the key provisions of it is that a residential project that is comprised of 40% affordable units can build a building as tall as what is allowed within a mile. The Phoenix Arts and Innovation District is right next to two schools that are zoned Public Building and Facilities-1 (PBF-1). The PBF-1 district explicitly says there is no maximum height in that zoning district. Hypothetically, the Burj Khalifia could be built there under the Live Local Act.

A lot of developers are using the Live Local Act to play games of chicken with municipalities to gain some leverage in the development review process. In this case, they may be using it to to push the allowable height to 150'. I know I would.

I don't think 150' would be that impactful on anything to the south as there is a nice buffer between the homes south of the tracks, but it would probably stick out a bit north of 15th street. Either way, sometimes you have to make sacrifices if you want quality development. I doubt the development program makes any sense financially without the additional height.

This is really interesting. It's actually why I have a pipe dream that the Regency 'could' be a catalyst site if the state gave a damn. That BOA tower is 13-stories I think, and with all that land there... I have to imagine there is a way to be creative with the affordable housing financing & incentives. I've mentioned before how Florida seems to lack housing that integrates both fixed & market rate units but a bill like that should allow for better economics for buildings to go taller, in theory. Same idea applies in this area but it's hard to see someone taking that chance anytime soon.

Also CityLife, doesn't this implode the Beaches 35' height restriction? Lol...

fsu813

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 10:23:14 AM »

Think we'll see the first (or among the first) Live Local Act-enabled projects in Jax pop up on Main Street just north of Springfield soon...

CityLife

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 10:28:55 AM »

This is really interesting. It's actually why I have a pipe dream that the Regency 'could' be a catalyst site if the state gave a damn. That BOA tower is 13-stories I think, and with all that land there... I have to imagine there is a way to be creative with the affordable housing financing & incentives. I've mentioned before how Florida seems to lack housing that integrates both fixed & market rate units but a bill like that should allow for better economics for buildings to go taller, in theory. Same idea applies in this area but it's hard to see someone taking that chance anytime soon.

You know what, I was wrong about the Live Local Act in relation to Phoenix Arts and Innovation District. The height allowance says that a city/county cannot restrict the height below the highest currently allowed height for a commercial or residential development within 1 mile. The Public Facility Zoning District couldn't be used, as it is institutional, not commercial or residential. Though, I didn't even realize that the City has no height restriction in its Light Industrial (IL) Zoning District, which is what most of Phoenix is currently zoned as. So they can likely just make the argument that they are capping the height to 150' on a site that previously had no height restriction.

For Regency and the Beaches, the project simply has to be within a mile of something that is currently zoned for more height, not what has already been built. In the case of the Beaches, I think the 35' restriction would still be in effect. Not sure what the zoning is like near Regency.

The legislature is considering amending the Live Local Act to reduce the 1 mile allowance to .25 miles and also restrict buildings to 125% of the height of buildings on adjacent parcels. So that will limit some of the compatibility concerns that a lot of people around the state have. Right now, it's basically the wild west.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 10:31:17 AM by CityLife »

Jax_Developer

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 12:53:58 PM »

You know what, I was wrong about the Live Local Act in relation to Phoenix Arts and Innovation District. The height allowance says that a city/county cannot restrict the height below the highest currently allowed height for a commercial or residential development within 1 mile. The Public Facility Zoning District couldn't be used, as it is institutional, not commercial or residential. Though, I didn't even realize that the City has no height restriction in its Light Industrial (IL) Zoning District, which is what most of Phoenix is currently zoned as. So they can likely just make the argument that they are capping the height to 150' on a site that previously had no height restriction.

For Regency and the Beaches, the project simply has to be within a mile of something that is currently zoned for more height, not what has already been built. In the case of the Beaches, I think the 35' restriction would still be in effect. Not sure what the zoning is like near Regency.

The legislature is considering amending the Live Local Act to reduce the 1 mile allowance to .25 miles and also restrict buildings to 125% of the height of buildings on adjacent parcels. So that will limit some of the compatibility concerns that a lot of people around the state have. Right now, it's basically the wild west.

Ah okay, I misunderstood that. Was thinking you could match another building's height within 1 mile as long as it met the affordable requirement.