Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - Fall 2023  (Read 5512 times)

jaxlongtimer

Re: Urban Construction Update - Fall 2023
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 02:57:04 PM »
^To add, saw construction chain link fencing going up this week around the lot for JTA's U2C maintenance shed that will be at the gateway to Downtown to welcome all with a project symbolic of all that is wrong with Downtown.

fsu813

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2024, 03:21:27 PM »
Anyone know what's going on with the lot at Main and Ashley?

Appears as though they're fortifying a children's playground with six foot walls like it's Fort Knox.

Really looks strange and cold from the street.

This was reviewed by DDRB several months ago. The walled fortress look was brought up during the meeting..... but was ultimately deemed good enough because of concerns of child safety. I believe landscaping will be added to soften it up a bit.

Joey Mackey

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2024, 03:34:18 PM »
^To add, saw construction chain link fencing going up this week around the lot for JTA's U2C maintenance shed that will be at the gateway to Downtown to welcome all with a project symbolic of all that is wrong with Downtown.

And they completely fenced off the sidewalk! Pedestrians be damned.   

Charles Hunter

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2024, 04:21:23 PM »

Appears as though they're fortifying a children's playground with six foot walls like it's Fort Knox.

To keep the kiddos from running into traffic? Keep bad people from bothering the kids?

Ken_FSU

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2024, 04:32:03 PM »
^I think you could accomplish the same thing with wrought iron and landscaping though.

Essentially creates a totally dead block right in the heart of the CBD.

P.S. Drove by when I was leaving the office.

Looks like this, maybe 6’ high, wrapped around a full, highly visible block on Main Street

« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 05:30:07 PM by Ken_FSU »

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2024, 06:44:51 PM »

This was reviewed by DDRB several months ago. The walled fortress look was brought up during the meeting..... but was ultimately deemed good enough because of concerns of child safety. I believe landscaping will be added to soften it up a bit.

Who is this for?  First Baptist?  Is it meant to be a playground based on comments here?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2024, 07:39:36 PM »
It is for their school
Covenant is the first private school in Florida, and one of the first ten private schools in the nation, to be a licensed user of Hillsdale K-12 curriculum.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2024, 09:29:20 PM »
It is for their school
Covenant is the first private school in Florida, and one of the first ten private schools in the nation, to be a licensed user of Hillsdale K-12 curriculum.

Hillsdale?  I guess its graduates will head to DeSantis' hijacked college, New College in Sarasota, that continues with Hillsdale's way of doing things.  A factory for creating DeSantis/Trump GOPers if you like that kind of thing.