Author Topic: RD River City Brewery project seeks final DDRB approval  (Read 18417 times)

jax_hwy_engineer

Re: RD River City Brewery project seeks final DDRB approval
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2024, 09:44:25 AM »
only thing I don't like about those places is the San Marco townhomes are going for like $800k-900k. Ridiculous. I wonder what these townhomes will list for?

Starting price is mid $700,000. https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-homes-for-sale/Florida/Toll-Brothers-at-RiversEdge

I just can't fathom it. Even with 20% down ($140k) that's over $4000/mo at today's rates. Plus I'm sure there's an HOA fee. Who buys these?!? That requires a household income of like $175k or more to be comfortable

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2024, 09:45:04 AM »
only thing I don't like about those places is the San Marco townhomes are going for like $800k-900k. Ridiculous. I wonder what these townhomes will list for?

Only way to stabilize the housing crisis is increasing supply. As with anything, they’ll either get what they’re asking or they’ll lower it. Those were an empty lot before, and even those nuts prices aren’t out of line for others in San Marco of that size.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2024, 10:21:35 AM »
You're right, I do appreciate that they're building homes, I just wish they weren't so darned unaffordable. We'll see how the housing market shakes out in the next few years

acme54321

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2024, 11:42:32 AM »

Starting price is mid $700,000. https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-homes-for-sale/Florida/Toll-Brothers-at-RiversEdge

I just can't fathom it. Even with 20% down ($140k) that's over $4000/mo at today's rates. Plus I'm sure there's an HOA fee. Who buys these?!? That requires a household income of like $175k or more to be comfortable

Retired People
Professionals
DINKS
Etc.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2024, 11:42:54 AM »

Only way to stabilize the housing crisis is increasing supply. As with anything, they’ll either get what they’re asking or they’ll lower it. Those were an empty lot before, and even those nuts prices aren’t out of line for others in San Marco of that size.

I am not sure a supply shortage is the only thing holding prices up.  The cost of construction has risen dramatically over the last 5 years and I am not sure how low a cost a builder can get to for building less expensive housing.  Add that land costs are also higher than ever, at least here.  It is why we are continually seeing smaller lots, higher density and less architectural details.  The days of a 1/4 acre lot or more for even a larger, more expensive home, are becoming rarer and rarer.  Compare the density of new developments in almost any price range with those from decades ago.

Typically, about half of above-ground construction costs are for labor and, given the shortages we still have there, I don't see things changing anytime soon.  What a lot of people also don't realize is that a big chunk of construction labor is by recent immigrants and we all know where that has been going.

I think the future of housing in the U.S. is moving toward what much of the rest of the world already experiences... much smaller square footage homes in much higher density housing.  Nothing wrong with this and maybe overdue in the U.S. but it will be a significant lifestyle change for many Americans.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2024, 11:54:58 AM »
I am not sure a supply shortage is the only thing holding prices up.  The cost of construction has risen dramatically over the last 5 years and I am not sure how low a cost a builder can get to for building less expensive housing.  Add that land costs are also higher than ever, at least here.  It is why we are continually seeing smaller lots, higher density and less architectural details.  The days of a 1/4 acre lot or more for even a larger, more expensive home, are becoming rarer and rarer.  Compare the density of new developments in almost any price range with those from decades ago.

Typically, about half of above-ground construction costs are for labor and, given the shortages we still have there, I don't see things changing anytime soon.  What a lot of people also don't realize is that a big chunk of construction labor is by recent immigrants and we all know where that has been going.

I think the future of housing in the U.S. is moving toward what much of the rest of the world already experiences... much smaller square footage homes in much higher density housing.  Nothing wrong with this and maybe overdue in the U.S. but it will be a significant lifestyle change for many Americans.

Another reason why all that vacant publicly owned land in downtown and the urban core should not be held hostage. It can be used to make various projects more financially feasible without necessarily requiring the city give cash based incentives and grants.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2024, 03:48:46 PM »
"The project would include an additional eight-floor apartment building, a 550-space parking garage, a river-facing restaurant and a ship store that would sell beverages, ice and other items to patrons of the adjacent boat ramp.

In addition, Related would also manage and execute improvements to the Riverwalk and deed a 4,200-square-foot parcel to the city to permit expansion of St. Johns River Park and Friendship Fountain. "

The restaurant and ship store make this way better than I had hoped for. Can't wait to see the site plans for this to see what the park extensions look like