Author Topic: A look inside the Duval County Armory  (Read 3360 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
A look inside the Duval County Armory
« on: August 08, 2023, 07:35:27 AM »

A look inside Jacksonville's historic Duval County Armory. Abandoned for years, plans are being made to redevelop the property into a mixed-use arts hub and food hall.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/a-look-inside-the-duval-county-armory/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Re: A look inside the Duval County Armory
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 09:42:19 AM »
What is the status of the plans to repurpose the building? Is it another of Jacksonville's announced-but-dead plans? Or, is something actually going to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 09:46:25 AM »
^They are working to get historic tax credits to assist with the restoration of the building. They finally got the property listed on the National Register on July 27, 2023.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 10:56:47 AM »
Glad to hear it is still moving ahead.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 01:23:29 PM »
In 6th grade, I went to my first dance with a girl from down the street at the Armory.  The wooden floor looks unchanged as I remember it.   My mom had to force me to go.  Even gave me a corsage to give to her and all I could think was "Are you kidding me?  Why?!"  ;D

How far I have come since... LOL.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 03:00:27 PM »
In 6th grade, I went to my first dance with a girl from down the street at the Armory.  The wooden floor looks unchanged as I remember it.   My mom had to force me to go.  Even gave me a corsage to give to her and all I could think was "Are you kidding me?  Why?!"  ;D

How far I have come since... LOL.

These types of stories are why I hate to see our historic building stock demolished.

So many great memories and stories inside each of these buildings.

Great stuff!

edjax

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 03:02:47 PM »
Ahhh, fond memories. Back in 1985, the gym was used for a local corporate volleyball league. I was involved in said league and broke my ankle during a match there one evening! Hey, it only required two surgeries to fix it!