Author Topic: Short North Photo Tour - Will Jax Ever See a Similar Corridor?  (Read 3035 times)

simms3

• Time has come
Great photo tour of Short North!

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/sights-and-scenes-short-north-arts-district/

Apologies if there was a way to comment directly on the photo page, but I couldn't find it this time.

My question is, will Jax ever see a corridor like this?  Mix of new into the old...

Could we ever see something like this in Riverside/Avondale?  Up Main St through Springfield?  Would RAP/SPAR and the local residents ever welcome development of this intensity in their neighborhoods?

If not in those neighborhoods, where would our equivalent mixed-use corridor be?
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Short North Photo Tour - Will Jax Ever See a Similar Corridor?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 04:30:07 PM »
I last visited Columbus around 2011. Short North seemed vibrant to me then, but it's definitely become more popular over the last decade.

I also spoke with people who remember it from the late 1990s and early 2000s. They say, it's night and day, in terms of vibrancy since then.

Regarding Jax, it is exactly what I hope corridors like Main Street (this one would be ideal to me), Riverside Avenue (this one is likely already ruined)....so Park Street through Brooklyn, Broad Street through LaVilla and even State and Union, can morph into over time. I believe this can be done in Jax, but it means not caving in on every parking lot, gas station and low density proposal that pops up along these corridors.

I don't know about RAP but I feel that SPAR would be receptive to infill on Main Street. The project at First and Main is a good example.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 04:32:07 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Short North Photo Tour - Will Jax Ever See a Similar Corridor?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 07:21:17 AM »
Sights and Scenes: Short North Arts District

North High Street, through Columbus, Ohio's Short North Arts District, is a great example of a walkable, mixed-use urban core commercial corridor. A corridor that Jacksonville's Main Street, Edgewood Avenue, Broad Street and State & Union Streets can aspire to become. Here are a few sights and scenes from a July 2023 walk through the Short North Arts District.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/sights-and-scenes-short-north-arts-district/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali