Author Topic: Jaguars’ stadium, sports district could cost City of Jacksonville more than $1B  (Read 48791 times)

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
Stadium name being changed back to Everbank.  Will be interesting to see how fast FDOT changes their exit signs.... seems they get priority over other signs  ;D.  You can tell who has clout.

Interesting that the Jaguars themselves seem to be the ones breaking the news on the bank’s name change.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

FlaBoy

I know there has been a lot of convention center talk on here through the years but more fodder for discussion:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/619360-dave-chauncey-a-game-changing-opportunity-maximizing-jacksonvilles-investments-at-tiaa-bank-field/

Charles Hunter

Interesting idea.

marcuscnelson

I'm not saying I totally dislike this, I just don't think it's going to go anywhere. I would not expect any substantial design changes to the stadium itself, just like the Miller Electric Center. Heck, even the Jaguars were more interested in the concept of adding a separate convention facility adjacent to the stadium than making the stadium itself the facility when they had the chance. I don't think that attitude has changed, and I doubt convention organizers are actually all that interested in the hypothetical opportunity enough to demand it instead of a custom facility for their needs.

Worth noting too that Lori Boyer has said in the past that meeting the market demand from that study apparently hinges on Lot J, which would happen under the new stadium proposal anyway.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^It's roughly the same, idea of adding an exhibition hall to the back of the Hyatt. What the Hyatt has, you'll have to invest in at the stadium, since the Four Seasons won't have that type of ballroom, meeting space or number of hotel room for people not in Khan's social class. On the other hand, at the Hyatt, you'll need to build the exhibition space.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

I mean the difference here is that the Hyatt would love to get new exhibition space, I'm not convinced the Jaguars are especially interested in modifying their stadium design to accommodate convention uses or in building the number of hotel rooms that would be entailed (unless the city is paying $500k a key for it like the Loews hotel would have been).

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
Sorry, but I can’t remember why the plans to add a convention center at the Hyatt never worked out.

jaxlongtimer

Sorry, but I can’t remember why the plans to add a convention center at the Hyatt never worked out.

As always, $$$$$$$.

Not mentioned in the article is the stadium has, and/or will continue to accommodate, parking for thousands of cars.  With little to no good Downtown public transit, hosting a big convention/event around the Hyatt would seem to be very difficult.  Heck, I have attended numerous events at the Hyatt and they have run out of parking just for their current facilities.  It's amazing how hotels can't accommodate all their guests that they are designed for.

Jax_Developer

As always, $$$$$$$.

Not mentioned in the article is the stadium has, and/or will continue to accommodate, parking for thousands of cars.  With little to no good Downtown public transit, hosting a big convention/event around the Hyatt would seem to be very difficult.  Heck, I have attended numerous events at the Hyatt and they have run out of parking just for their current facilities.  It's amazing how hotels can't accommodate all their guests that they are designed for.

You know what building will never not have parking? The Jacksonville Tax Office on 400 W Bay. To the North we have a full city block of parking.  To the west you have a massive parking garage spanning an entire city block. To the east, well you guessed it.. a large parking garage with surface parking on an entire block. Take a guess on what's South of it? Parking! We will never not have enough spaces to serve those audited or those lucky folks invited inside. Hotels? Entertainment? Pshh.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 10:51:44 PM by Jax_Developer »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I've never had a problem parking at the Hyatt for a conference or event. However, I'm totally fine parking a block or two north and not in the hotel's garage. Jacksonville also isn't going to have the size of events hosted in major convention cities like Vegas, Orlando and Chicago. $$$$ isn't the issue as much as it not being a priority of the city's to resolve. $$$$ can never be the issue for a $50-$100 million investment when we're now talking about $400 million to move a jail and a $1 billion for stadium improvements. It's always been about priorities.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

I've never had a problem parking at the Hyatt for a conference or event. However, I'm totally fine parking a block or two north and not in the hotel's garage. Jacksonville also isn't going to have the size of events hosted in major convention cities like Vegas, Orlando and Chicago. $$$$ isn't the issue as much as it not being a priority of the city's to resolve. $$$$ can never be the issue for a $50-$100 million investment when we're now talking about $400 million to move a jail and a $1 billion for stadium improvements. It's always been about priorities.

^LOL.  There was a time when people thought $50 to $100 million was a lot of dollars. Then came our $360 million courthouse and the $400 million AV project.  Now, we give out tens or hundreds of millions for developer incentives and up to a billion to a billionaire.  Heck, its only money.  Someone in City leadership must think the City is sitting on oil fields rivalling Saudi Arabia or gold mines rivaling Alaska.

Meanwhile, we lack dollars for parks, septic tanks, street maintenance, public safety, drainage, historic preservation, quality mass transit, social services, etc.

So, we fully agree, its about priorities in the end.

Regarding Hyatt parking, more than once I had to hand my keys to the valet and say you find a place for me to park. Once, I returned later to find they parked my car by the front door!  LOL.

I don't mind parking blocks away and, if the weather is good, I actually prefer it (I don't really like parking garages much).  However, if you are dressed to the nines for a nice event, the weather isn't so great for how you are dressed, you didn't allow an extra 20 to 30 minutes or more to find alternative parking or you have someone physically limited, parking further away isn't always an option.  While maybe it's somewhat imagined, some worry about parking further away due to safety concerns.

I believe if the Hyatt books all its hotel rooms and host meetings/events in all its venues, it could easily attract 3,000+ visitors at once.  No way they handle parking for all of that.  Maybe we don't have events for tens of thousands, but a decent convention center should at least handle 5,000 to 10,000 at once.  Heck, the Times Union Center can handle close to 5,000 between its three theaters and Daily's hits that number too.  So, that is not so special for Jax to hit.

Also, if there are competing events going on at the theaters, museums, bars/restaurants, events, etc. downtown, don't count on street parking also covering the Hyatt and a convention center.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^The easy answer is that if there is a demand, a garage can be built or off street parking can be handled in another fashion. Ultimately, adding parking isn't a stumbling block either, if that's a priority.

marcuscnelson

City Council hired NFL consultant Michael Huyghue to serve as their representative for the upcoming negotiations with the Jaguars.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/politics/government/2023/07/25/jacksonville-city-council-hires-consultant-for-jaguars-stadium-of-the-future-negotiations/70458455007/

Mayor Deegan has interviewed three firms to perform the negotiations on behalf of the city, which are expected to begin in late August.

Ken_FSU

City Council hired NFL consultant Michael Huyghue to serve as their representative for the upcoming negotiations with the Jaguars.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/politics/government/2023/07/25/jacksonville-city-council-hires-consultant-for-jaguars-stadium-of-the-future-negotiations/70458455007/

Mayor Deegan has interviewed three firms to perform the negotiations on behalf of the city, which are expected to begin in late August.

Just quickly appreciating all of this:

Jacksonville City Council agreed Tuesday to hiring own consultant to engage in upcoming Jaguars’ stadium negotiations  – which could start as early as August.

Council chose Michael Huyghue, a former Jaguars executive and current NFL consultant, to represent the council’s interests in negotiations regarding stadium renovations.

“I think it's very important that the council have representation,” City Council President Ron Salem said. Salem interviewed three candidates, he said, and brought Huyghue as the primary option to council.

The vote, passed 18-0 with Rory Diamond excused, was one of the first for the new council inaugurated July 1. Prior to the new members taking office, the council expressed skepticism about offering a direct contract without taking open bids for the process. The new council, however, supported Huyghue without criticism.

An open ‘request for proposal’ process, an alternative to the direct contract, could have taken upwards of three to four months to secure a contract, which Salem said would have taken too long given the Jaguars’ desired time frame.

Delightfully hilarious that, with $1 billion on the line, we bring in a consultant with direct ties to the Jags and the NFL, and the City Council unanimously approves it (minus Rory Diamond, whose "military commitments" seem to have him out of the last 650 City Council meetings). We'd expand the search, but we have to abide by the Jags accelerated timeline.

What is going on in this city lately?!?!?

Half of the news articles these days read like parody.

jaxlongtimer

^ Saw this and was struck with the same thoughts and questions.  This doesn't look very "adversarial" for use in negotiations.  I mean, the City needs a cold blooded killer negotiator for this deal, not a compromised rep.  Counting on Deegan to do better. 

Looks to me like the Council is setting up to insure the City gives Khan what he wants and plans to use this rep as their "excuse" to do so.