Author Topic: Will Russia invade Ukraine?  (Read 124679 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Will Russia invade Ukraine?
« Reply #405 on: April 01, 2024, 05:55:04 PM »
Gonna post this in the  Russia/Ukraine section... could go in the China section but DPRK is actively supplying Russia with arms...

DPRK Foreign Ministry website...

A major turning point for the website was in August 2021, when it started to regularly carry reports and articles introducing or supporting Chinese and Russian positions on international and foreign policy issues. Previously, the website had hosted Foreign Ministry statements endorsing China on sensitive issues such as Hong Kong; but reports and articles on China and Russia were by and large limited to North Korea’s diplomatic exchanges with these two countries, or Chinese and Russian entities praising North Korea and the Kim leaders. This new trend would turn out to be a key signal of Pyongyang’s reorientation of foreign policy, and the website had, in effect, become a harbinger of North Korea’s foreign policy change. Many of the reports and articles on China and Russia were unattributed and, by traditional standards, would have been considered “low-level,” but they proved to be important.

https://www.38north.org/2024/03/north-korean-foreign-ministry-website-overview/
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #406 on: April 02, 2024, 10:25:06 AM »
then why don't you strap on some boots, put on a helmet and go join in on the front lines to save the world?

Does it count if I already served 20+ in the US Navy?  How bout you?

None and I don't care to. By the time I was done with school, the Iraq and Afghan wars were already long in the tooth with all the similarities of another Vietnam quagmire. And here we are more than twenty years later with Trillions spent, thousands of American lives lost and countless others ruined with absolutely nothing to show for it. Actually, the argument could be made the Taliban is even stronger and more well-armed than it was pre 9'11. 

Ukraine is just another chapter in Washington's pathetic foreign policy history. Washington says it stands with Ukraine and will do whatever is necessary for them to defeat Russia. Ok, fine. I don't agree with this situation obviously, but, if that's the position then we would expect our response to mirror that position, correct? But, like everything these days, political stunts are more important than reality. "CRAP ITS AN ELECTION YEAR DON"T BOMB THEIR OIL INFRASTRUCTURE!!!!!!!!!" https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/4557384-biden-inexplicably-urges-ukraine-to-be-less-effective-fighting-against-russia/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #407 on: April 02, 2024, 01:01:47 PM »
I heard that rumor too but haven't seen an actual quote attributable to an actual person. It doesn't surprise me though because we seem to be "afraid of escalation" all while Russia keeps escalating.
No worries... the republican majority in the house is slowly eroding away and the money will be allocated. Soon enough the electorate will see that Trump is a lying, cheating, rapist, draft dodger and the Republicans who bow to him will be voted out and perhaps this country can get back to normal... :)

In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #408 on: April 02, 2024, 01:12:36 PM »
I'm as excited for a Trump vs Biden rematch as San Marco residents are excited about self storage. I view Republicans as the lesser of 2 evils these days as more folks on that side of the isle tend to lean towards my own political viewpoints - at least on paper.

However, this past year was the first time I ever voted Democrat as I threw my vote for Donna. I think as time continues to play out that will end up being a solid vote. I've said it before, my reasoning was because I actually believe Donna has a true love for this city which can help transcend beyond politics. Don't agree with all her positions obviously but no candidate is perfect.

Having said that, you won't catch me dead voting for Biden. Unless of course the unthinkable happens before then and dead people have been known to vote Democrat over the years  ;D

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #409 on: April 02, 2024, 07:08:35 PM »
I'm as excited for a Trump vs Biden rematch as San Marco residents are excited about self storage. I view Republicans as the lesser of 2 evils these days as more folks on that side of the isle tend to lean towards my own political viewpoints - at least on paper.

However, this past year was the first time I ever voted Democrat as I threw my vote for Donna. I think as time continues to play out that will end up being a solid vote. I've said it before, my reasoning was because I actually believe Donna has a true love for this city which can help transcend beyond politics. Don't agree with all her positions obviously but no candidate is perfect.

Having said that, you won't catch me dead voting for Biden. Unless of course the unthinkable happens before then and dead people have been known to vote Democrat over the years  ;D

Odd thing to cite to criticize support for Ukraine, considering it’s a call to keep targeting Russian refineries. Notwithstanding that, Ukraine says it’s not true anyway. https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/22/ukraine-says-west-not-pressuring-it-to-end-attacks-on-russian-oil-facilities-00148673
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #410 on: April 03, 2024, 06:26:20 AM »
Here are the facts...

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/russian-refineries-targeted-by-ukraines-drones-2024-03-25/

April 2 (Reuters) - Ukrainian drones attacked Taneco, Russia's third largest oil refinery, on Tuesday about 1,300 km (800 miles) from the front lines, hitting a core unit which processes about 155,000 barrels per day (bpd) of crude.

As of the end of March, around 14% of Russia's primary oil refining capacity had been knocked out by Ukrainian drone attacks, according to Reuters calculations....

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #411 on: April 05, 2024, 06:34:15 AM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #412 on: April 10, 2024, 01:39:23 PM »

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #413 on: April 11, 2024, 08:59:36 AM »
Oh but I thought the call to not attack refineries wasn't true? lol.   

Interesting strategy from the same dolts telling us Russia will keep expanding West once Ukraine falls. Consider this WMD, part deuce.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: April 11, 2024, 11:28:11 AM »
So you’re arguing that we should help Ukraine target Russian refineries and oppose Russian expansion? Glad we’re on the same page!
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #415 on: April 11, 2024, 11:57:42 AM »
Not even close. I don't believe for one second Russia has any intention of expansion beyond what's happening in Ukraine. That theory is being paraded by the same people who told us Iraq had WMD's, Trump colluded with Russia and Covid came from a meat market instead of a lab. So... pretty easy decision to not believe another word that comes out of that mouth.

But, if the objective of this war is to stop Russia at all costs (because that's what war is supposed to be, right?), then yeah, it's hilarious watching Sec Austin squirm over the possibility of higher energy prices if Russia's energy sources are attacked.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #416 on: April 11, 2024, 12:50:20 PM »
Austin should have resigned or been fired after the disappearance during his prostate cancer treatment. He has mishandled the DOD since he got there. Never said the previous statements weren’t true… it was simply an unnamed source… unconfirmed… unknown. Now we know it was Austin… and I and plenty others have called him out. It’s a stooooopid statement… especially for a Secretary of Defense.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #417 on: April 11, 2024, 12:53:30 PM »
Oh but I thought the call to not attack refineries wasn't true? lol.   

Interesting strategy from the same dolts telling us Russia will keep expanding West once Ukraine falls. Consider this WMD, part deuce.

You still haven’t answered my most basic question. Why did Finland and Sweden, historically neutral countries, immediately apply for NATO membership following Russia invasion?

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #418 on: April 12, 2024, 09:09:13 AM »
I did answer your question on a response from March 15th. Looks like you missed it though.

I'll ask these again and if I missed your original answer as well then my apologies. Why is it taboo to admit that Russia was clearly provoked before they decided to invade Ukraine? What business did we have sending the CIA to Ukraine in 2014 to train soldiers and help ring lead a coup to institute a pro Western regime vs the then pro Russia regime? Why is it considered to be "Pro Russian" to want nothing to do with Ukraine when you consider how badly we've screwed up that area just like we did with Iraq and Afghanistan?

How on earth can any of these questions be considered an extreme position?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #419 on: April 12, 2024, 10:50:39 AM »
Oh found your “answer” lol… do you just make things up??  Complete nonsense. Now I will attempt to answer your strawmen.

Russia was NOT provoked. You are buying Russian propaganda as are many GOP.

The coup was being carried out by the Russians just as they did in Georgia and are preparing to do in Moldova. More Russia propaganda.

You are Pro Russia by definition if your position is… err… pro Russia

I consider them extreme because we/you are permitting/allowing a totalitarian regime in Europe wage unprovoked war against a democratic country. You and your position are getting people slaughtered, a country destroyed, and threatening peace in Europe.