Author Topic: Will Russia invade Ukraine?  (Read 22538 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Will Russia invade Ukraine?
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2022, 06:48:00 AM »
Russian news agency TASS version of Kramatorsk attack...

https://tass.com/defense/1435103

Moscow says shelling of Kramatorsk by Ukraine confirms Russian operation is justified

The Russian Foreign Ministry expressed confidence that Kiev won’t be able to evade responsibility for the shelling of civilians in Kramatorsk
MOSCOW, April 8. /TASS/. The Russian Foreign Ministry on Friday said that evidence is obvious that Ukraine’s armed forces are responsible for striking a railway station in Kramatorsk with a Tochka-U missile and these inhumane acts by the Kiev regime confirm that the goals of the Russian special operation are justified.

"Cold-bloodedly and cynically destroying the civilian population, Kiev is trying to shift the responsibility to the Russian side in order to discredit the special military operation to protect the DPR and LPR," the ministry said in a statement. "Evidence of the responsibility of the armed forces of Ukraine is obvious: it is they who are armed with and use the Tochka-U missiles, the fragments of which were found at the site of the tragedy."

"Such inhuman actions of the Kiev regime confirm the validity of the goals of the special military operation to demilitarize and de-Nazify Ukraine," the statement went on to say.

The ministry said the strike on the Kramatorsk railway station on April 8 was delivered by the Ukrainian armed forces. "A similar barbaric act of aggression was committed by the armed forces of Ukraine on March 14 of this year, when, a strike by a similar Tochka-U missile in the center of Donetsk killed 17 people and wounded another 36 people," the ministry said. "In both cases, the target of the shelling was not accidental: the Kiev regime seeks to maximize civilian casualties. Killing them in Donbass over the past eight years has become a routine for the Ukrainian military units."

The Russian Foreign Ministry expressed confidence that Kiev won’t be able to evade responsibility for the shelling of civilians in Kramatorsk. "We are confident that the Kiev authorities will not be able to evade responsibility," the statement said. "We call on the international community to give an unbiased assessment of the crimes of Ukrainian units, stop supplying them with weapons and encourage Kiev to abandon unacceptable methods of warfare."

In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2022, 07:28:00 AM »
Interesting analysis of the Israeli stance on the Ukrainian/Russian issue...

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/ukraine-learns-the-israel-lesson

Ukrainian President Volodomyr Zelensky declared Tuesday that, when the war is finally over, Ukraine would emerge from the rubble a “big Israel.”

He meant that the war would never really be over, that Ukraine would be on a permanent war footing, just as the Jewish state is. He meant that it would view its neighbors the way Israel has long viewed its own: As enemies waiting to pounce. Most importantly, he meant that Ukraine would never again rely on anyone else for its security: not the West, not the international community, not the so-called liberal order. It would be, like Israel, a nation apart, answering to no one but its people, in control of its own destiny....

I-10east

« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2022, 02:52:54 AM »
IMO John Mearsheimer a political realist and professor from the University of Chicago knows this war inside out, and from front to back. He doesn't buy into the mainstream narrative, so of course that makes him a "Putin puppet" or whatever....

I wanted to post a link, but apparently JaxsonMag doesn't deal with youtube anymore. Even people who I cannot stand like Noam Chomsky dropped all kinds of based truthbombs about Russia/Ukraine geopolitics (in the past). It's pretty funny that my opinion about Ukraine/Russia basically in lockstep with many on the anti-war left.

I will never right somone's opinion off, just because I disagree with them politically. That's something that many people cannot say (esp in today's hyper-polarized political world)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2022, 10:14:06 AM »
Yeah... Both he and Putin blame NATO expansion. BooHoo... I'm sure Putin feels threatened by free countries on his borders.  Most dictators do... NATO most certainly did not impose itself on Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania and others spent 50 years as slave nations to the Soviet Union. Once free they chose to join the NATO umbrella in a attempt to remain free. As a result of Putin's war he has pushed two formerly reluctant nations to NATO... Finland and Sweden.

You and your leftist friends may see some warts with Ukraine and few would deny those issues need to be addressed but this country has spent it entire existence under the thumb of the corrupt Soviets and now a corrupt totalitarian Russia. It seems to me those people want out...

We should help them.

MusicMan

« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2022, 02:51:31 PM »
I am hoping Ukraine finds some black market cruise missiles and fires them at ........ the Kremlin?  Maybe some smoking ruins in Moscow will show the Russian's being bombarded isn't a lot of fun.

Does Russia ban/control/restrict internet access for it's citizens the way China does?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2022, 02:59:22 PM »
I am hoping Ukraine finds some black market cruise missiles and fires them at ........ the Kremlin?  Maybe some smoking ruins in Moscow will show the Russian's being bombarded isn't a lot of fun.

Does Russia ban/control/restrict internet access for it's citizens the way China does?

They control all internet access... VPNs are illegal. All television and news sources are government controlled.  Below is a example from TASS... tass.com...

Russian news agency TASS version of Kramatorsk attack...

https://tass.com/defense/1435103

Moscow says shelling of Kramatorsk by Ukraine confirms Russian operation is justified

The Russian Foreign Ministry expressed confidence that Kiev won’t be able to evade responsibility for the shelling of civilians in Kramatorsk
MOSCOW, April 8. /TASS/. The Russian Foreign Ministry on Friday said that evidence is obvious that Ukraine’s armed forces are responsible for striking a railway station in Kramatorsk with a Tochka-U missile and these inhumane acts by the Kiev regime confirm that the goals of the Russian special operation are justified.

"Cold-bloodedly and cynically destroying the civilian population, Kiev is trying to shift the responsibility to the Russian side in order to discredit the special military operation to protect the DPR and LPR," the ministry said in a statement. "Evidence of the responsibility of the armed forces of Ukraine is obvious: it is they who are armed with and use the Tochka-U missiles, the fragments of which were found at the site of the tragedy."

"Such inhuman actions of the Kiev regime confirm the validity of the goals of the special military operation to demilitarize and de-Nazify Ukraine," the statement went on to say.

The ministry said the strike on the Kramatorsk railway station on April 8 was delivered by the Ukrainian armed forces. "A similar barbaric act of aggression was committed by the armed forces of Ukraine on March 14 of this year, when, a strike by a similar Tochka-U missile in the center of Donetsk killed 17 people and wounded another 36 people," the ministry said. "In both cases, the target of the shelling was not accidental: the Kiev regime seeks to maximize civilian casualties. Killing them in Donbass over the past eight years has become a routine for the Ukrainian military units."

The Russian Foreign Ministry expressed confidence that Kiev won’t be able to evade responsibility for the shelling of civilians in Kramatorsk. "We are confident that the Kiev authorities will not be able to evade responsibility," the statement said. "We call on the international community to give an unbiased assessment of the crimes of Ukrainian units, stop supplying them with weapons and encourage Kiev to abandon unacceptable methods of warfare."

MusicMan

« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2022, 11:34:17 AM »
They apparently control "I-10 East" mind too.

Stop smoking crack.   

Trump was President for 4 years, and had total control of everything for 2 years. During that time he could have easily had Biden and his son investigated and indicted. He did not. Hmmmmm?  The actual investigation began when Obama was Prez. At least HB provided his tax returns, something DJT would not do. If you cant figure it out (and you can't) that's not our problem. Also, stop watching Newsmax. Send the Trumpy Bear back. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 11:39:57 AM by MusicMan »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2022, 05:45:48 PM »
Wow I-10... just freeking wow.  My former party is littered with folks like you spouting the same weird stuff you are.  You people elected Trump... you people are why I left.

Your post is of the factless, baseless, and unsupported variety and more of the same is unwanted and will be deleted.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2022, 11:38:52 PM »
Removed a post above. This forum is not going to be a place for false statements and propaganda.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2022, 07:51:51 AM »
Interesting article from a westerner who has lived in Russia,  as a Russian, for most of his life... until February 24... recounts his neighbors and co workers attitudes before the war and and now.  About a 15 minute read...

https://quillette.com/2022/04/16/casualties-of-war/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2022, 07:39:25 AM »
This site provides daily intelligence updates of the military situation in Ukraine by unbiased experts... Below is a small sample...  click the link... there is much more...

Apparently Russian forces are rounding up civilians for future "prisoner exchanges "

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-27

April 27, 8pm ET

Russian forces made minor but steady advances both from Izyum and in continued assaults along the line of contact in eastern Ukraine on April 27. Russian forces took several small towns directly west of Izyum in the past 24 hours. While this line of advance takes Russian forces away from their main objective of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts, they likely intend to outflank Ukrainian defensive positions on the highways to Barvinkove and Slovyansk. Russian forces made several small advances in eastern Ukraine; Russia’s increasing concentration of artillery assets is likely enabling these tactical advances. Russian forces are advancing methodically in several sectors but have achieved no notable breakthroughs. The capability of Russian forces to encircle large groups of Ukrainian forces remains in doubt.

The Kremlin continued to prepare for a likely false-flag missile attack against the Moldovan territory of Transnistria, which is illegally occupied by Russian forces. Russian proxies in Transnistria falsely claimed Ukrainian forces are preparing to attack Transnistria, and Ukrainian intelligence reported Russian forces are preparing to conduct a missile strike on Transnistria and blame Ukraine. Russian and Transnistrian forces also increased their readiness for possible operations in the last 24 hours. Russia may intend to involve Transnistria in the war in Ukraine to utilize Transnistria’s (limited) reserve forces or to launch attacks and shell Ukraine from Transnistrian territory. The Kremlin may alternatively seek to destabilize Moldova itself to raise tensions in Moldova and neighboring Romania and put additional pressure on NATO, possibly seeking to reduce Western military support to Ukraine either by diverting NATO forces to Romania or threatening a wider escalation.

Russian forces are stepping up “filtration measures” in occupied territories and abducting Ukrainian citizens, likely for use in future prisoner exchanges. Ukraine’s Main Intelligence Directorate (GUR) reported on April 27 that Russian forces are conducting large-scale “filtration measures” in Kharkiv, Zaporizhia, Kherson, Mykolaiv, Luhansk, and Donetsk Oblasts.[1] The “filtration” targets men of military age, former military and law enforcement personnel, and pro-Ukrainian activists for interrogation, torture, and possible execution. The GUR reported Russian forces are additionally shipping Ukrainian hostages to Crimea to “replenish the exchange fund,” seeking to exchange Ukrainian civilians for Russian military prisoners in future prisoner swaps. The GUR additionally speculated that Russian forces may be preparing to use Ukrainian civilians to portray Prisoners of War in May 9th Victory Day celebrations, noting that Russian forces conducted similar propaganda efforts in Donetsk in 2014.

Ukrainian forces likely conducted drone or possibly missile strikes on Russian logistics centers in Belgorod and Voronezh on April 27. Russian sources and social media reported multiple explosions early on April 27, which Ukrainian Presidential Advisor Mikhail Podolyak later euphemistically confirmed were Ukrainian strikes, stating Russian cities cannot “sit out” the invasion of Ukraine and “the disarmament of the Belgorod-Voronezh warehouses is a natural process.”[2] Ukrainian forces will likely conduct further cross-border strikes to disrupt Russian logistics, which the Kremlin will likely falsely frame as an escalation or somehow a war crime.

Key Takeaways

Concentrated artillery is likely enabling limited Russian advances in eastern Ukraine, though Russian forces continue to struggle to break through prepared Ukrainian defenses.
Russian forces funneled additional reinforcements and tactical missile units into the Izyum front and made minor advances. Russian forces are likely attempting to bypass Ukrainian forces on the road to Barvinkove by advancing directly west before pivoting southwards in the coming days.
Heavy Russian bombardment and continued assaults failed to make headway against Ukrainian defenders in Mariupol’s Azovstal plant, even as Russian forces reportedly prepared to stage a press tour in the occupied areas of the city on April 28.
Russian forces around Kherson are likely preparing for a renewed push to capture the entirety of Kherson Oblast in the coming days but Ukrainian counterattacks continue to disrupt Russian operations in the area.
Russian occupation forces continued preparations to announce the creation of a Russian proxy “Kherson People’s Republic” (KNR) amid widespread Ukrainian resistance.
The Kremlin may be preparing to either bring Transnistria into the war in Ukraine or destabilize Moldova itself to put additional pressure on NATO.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 07:42:53 AM by BridgeTroll »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2022, 07:50:48 AM »
Moldova is next country to be raped...

Directorate (GUR) reported that Transnistria is preparing to fully staff its military units and increase their readiness.[20] Ukraine’s Operational Command “South” reported on April 27-28 that Russia is “systematically” conducting provocations in Transnistria and creating the false threat of an attack from Ukraine.[21] Transnistrian President Vadim Krasnoselsky ordered Transnistria’s Ministry of Internal Affairs to “be ready for any scenario” on April 28, but (likely falsely) denied Moldovan government reports that Transnistrian authorities are preventing men of fighting age from leaving the region.[22]

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2022, 07:05:23 AM »
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-1

May 1, 6:15 ET

Russian forces are setting conditions to establish permanent control over the areas of southern Ukraine they currently occupy, either as nominally independent “People’s Republics” or by annexing them to Russia. Russian sources reported that stores in occupied Melitopol and Volnovakha are beginning to transition to using the Russian ruble.[1] British Defense Intelligence reported that the ruble will be used in Kherson City starting on May 1 as part of a 4-month currency transition scheme enacted by the occupation administration.[2] These measures, which are not necessary or normal in military occupation administrations, indicate that Russian President Vladimir Putin likely intends to retain control over these areas and that his ambitions are not confined to Donbas.