Author Topic: Will Russia invade Ukraine?  (Read 22528 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Will Russia invade Ukraine?
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2022, 04:37:29 PM »
Hmmm... senior general's are disappearing and not on the battlefield...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2022, 04:50:12 PM »
Incredibly interesting insight into the Ukrainian resistance around the Odessa area...

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/03/how-ukraine-won-the-battle-of-mykolaiv/
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2022, 08:32:59 AM »
Great article describing Russian counter insurgency tactics...
https://mwi.usma.edu/dont-underestimate-the-bear-russia-is-one-of-the-worlds-most-effective-modern-counterinsurgents/

There are five characteristics of an authoritarian approach to counterinsurgency. First, authoritarian regimes have a stronger grip on information than democracies. While these regimes are not immune to dissent, their control of information offers a powerful tool for protecting their hold on power and silencing critics.

Second, and related, an authoritarian state’s monopoly on information can be used for mobilizing mass support at home for even the most brutal of campaigns. Key here is that in the logic of the authoritarian approach, information operations focus on selling the threat of the insurgency to domestic audiences and not on winning over the hearts and minds of the local population. The aim is to demonstrate the necessity of the use of force against insurgents and their supporters.

Third is the deliberate use of massive and often indiscriminate violence. This seeks to prevent the insurgents from mobilizing popular support while simultaneously augmenting governmental control. The fragmentation of society that results from such violence denies opponents the ability to build or sustain solid ties with local communities. For this purpose, “coercive engineered migrations” might also be adopted. As a result, the insurgency will become more isolated as it is deprived of popular support and sanctuary.

Fourth is the concept of “Holding, Suppressing, Controlling.” This effectively boils down to the imposition of a police state. Physical control of territory and people gives the state the ability to monitor cooperation and trumps achieving any sense of legitimacy among the local population. When satisfied with the level of control, locally recruited paramilitary, police, and intelligence forces will gradually take over from the armed forces. This is all about imposing and sustaining an effective apparatus for punishing any dissent as swiftly and severely as possible in order to achieve a deterrent effect.

Finally, even authoritarian governments have to persuade the population to accept the new balance of power. They typically do so by interposing the state in every local societal transaction and activity and thus rendering it indispensable to public life.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2022, 08:30:21 AM »
Sooo... Biden makes a bold statement... something nearly everyone on the planet is saying and thinking and the State department and Biden handlers are falling all over themselves walking it back...

"For God's sake, this man cannot remain in power," possibly could have been as famous as "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" or "Ich bin ein Berliner" ... now the sentence is meaningless because Blinken and company say he didn't really mean it... sad...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-60891803

I-10east

« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2022, 11:59:03 PM »
^^^He is an absolute disaster. This is well beyond the Team Red vs Team Blue nonsense. I can think of another country (not Russia) that desperately needs regime change; it's in North America, and the capital is Washington DC.

The real conservatives (not RINOs) hated him from the get go; the progressives jumped off the ship when he promised student loan forgiveness (and other things) but of course reneged. Hell, even much of his neo liberal "fanbase" has eroded. He's getting blasted by CNN and MSNBC now. Well, atleast he's got Mitt Romney and Lindsey Graham as die hard supporters; because they also love war for profit....

I'm extremely worried about the US and the rest of the world going into WW3. This "president" is constantly banging the drums of war. The United States should absolutely stay out of this Ukraine war. Let those two Slavic-sphere countries work out their differences. Otherwise a WW3 (between nuclear powers) will erupt.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 12:09:13 AM by I-10east »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2022, 06:01:24 AM »
As a former republican… I have no issue with Bidens statement… my issue is with Blinken and White House staffers…

I-10east

« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2022, 04:29:57 PM »
^^^Interesting take (I'm a former Democrat, now NPA BTW). I think the exact opposite. IMO most people would agree (including CNN) that Biden's staff is trying to stop the world from going into WW3. Given that the POTUS basically called for an act of war; twice called for a country's leader to be removed, and that the US will go tit for tat and respond with chemical weapons if Russia deploys them in Ukraine (among other things).

Then the US makes Russia look very reasonable with their response. The Kremlin spokesman says "This is a statement that is certainly alarming". LOL, you cannot make that up; it's like something from the Onion or Babylon Bee. IMO Biden's response is like we're a rogue dictatorship, and Russia responds like a first world country....

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2022, 01:36:52 PM »
^Understandable take. But I don't think now is a time that nuance gets us much of anything. This is a war that Russia started. I don't have a problem with what Biden said in the context.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

MusicMan

« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2022, 06:10:22 PM »
At least Russian State Media is finally acknowledging Trump as a "partner."  In ordinary times that would sink any hope at re-election (or nomination for that matter). Unfortunately, with folks like Tucker Carlson informing the GOP base, it's a superlative.

I agree Biden said what every sane person is thinking. He should stick to it no matter.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2022, 06:31:40 PM »
At least Russian State Media is finally acknowledging Trump as a "partner."  In ordinary times that would sink any hope at re-election (or nomination for that matter). Unfortunately, with folks like Tucker Carlson informing the GOP base, it's a superlative.

I agree Biden said what every sane person is thinking. He should stick to it no matter.
Lol... so you're going to cherry pick Russian media pronouncements?  Lying about everything else but that. Lol...

MusicMan

« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2022, 09:14:30 AM »
I'm not cherry picking. There's a ton of evidence from the last 6 years that clearly illustrates the chummy relationship between Trump and Putin. Even portions of Faux News is basically being re-broadcast in Russia as pro-Putin propaganda. Verbatim broadcasts. I have no idea who is pushing this narrative at Fox, or how they think they will benefit (i.e. damaging Biden).  But that's the facts.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2022, 02:59:37 PM »
I'm not cherry picking. There's a ton of evidence from the last 6 years that clearly illustrates the chummy relationship between Trump and Putin. Even portions of Faux News is basically being re-broadcast in Russia as pro-Putin propaganda. Verbatim broadcasts. I have no idea who is pushing this narrative at Fox, or how they think they will benefit (i.e. damaging Biden).  But that's the facts.
I wouldn't know what Fox news is saying... but please keep us up to date.  I get "Russian news" from TASS and Moscow Times... no one ever talks about Trump there...

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/

https://tass.com/

acme54321

« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2022, 03:13:57 PM »
I like how Russia acts all put off that Ukraine would dare blow up a fuel farm in Russia

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2022, 08:29:31 AM »