Author Topic: Hildebrandt Building sold, developer plans tower  (Read 1745 times)

Charles Hunter

Re: Hildebrandt Building sold, developer plans tower
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 10:31:20 PM »
That's definitely not happening. This building is also a Florida Trust for Historic Preservation conservation easement. Because the developer gets historic tax incentives through conservation easements, it means the redevelopment will have to protect the existing building from demolition or alteration which would damage its historic and architectural integrity. I don't see a day where a proposal to stick a tower on top of it would ever gain Trust approval.
I thought that the new tower would be in the adjacent parking lot, not on top of the old building. That plan or proposal looks like the old building is in front of the new tower; or maybe my old eyes are seeing things.

heights - Scroll down on the site you linked, it clearly shows new construction on top of the existing building.  Also, the lot behind, when viewed from Adams, is a different owner than the 300 West Adams parcel.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 11:24:41 PM »
Don't know the date or timeline of the below link/website (it's unlisted), but I found a proposed developmental concept of what they might be building next to the old Hildebrandt building. If you all find out how old this is, please let us know. I'm too tired right now to be doing the "needle in a haystack" thing. I kinda, sorta like what I see, but to me it's too wide; stack the other side on top of the other and you have a really tall building. Tell me, or us what you think.

https://keernsmith.com/portfolio/hildebrandt-building/

Yeah, don't add pile an addition to the top of the existing building.
Why not? THEY do have the technology to re-do the plans/proposal to make it one tall tower. It CAN be done.

^ Below is a sample of just that in NYC.  At least the tower has some architectural interest and is set way back from the edges of the original building so it doesn't overwhelm it.  But, this is Jax, and they will likely approve another ugly and uninspiring painted box over the existing building that will look like its squishing it.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 11:30:04 PM by jaxlongtimer »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2021, 07:24:03 AM »
I don't believe that NYC example would be approved for a conservation easement property. The integrity of that historic building is gone. It's basically a new building that incorporates the outside walls of the old building. You don't get historic tax credits and incentives for that.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2021, 07:57:46 AM »
There's no way that proposal to build on top of this existing building is a legit project.  That's something you do when you are out of other options, not in Jacksonville on a block that is 50% surface parking.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2021, 01:53:16 PM »
@ Charles Hunter - OK, Lake and Jaxlongtimer elaborated on it as well; I guess it might be on top, but it seems like, scrolling down and to the left, that it is in the parking lot next to or adjacent to the old building. I guess I'm viewing or looking at it wrong.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!