Author Topic: Charlotte's Biddleville: What gentrification looks like  (Read 783 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Charlotte's Biddleville: What gentrification looks like
« on: November 23, 2021, 08:54:51 AM »

A visual glimpse at the gentrification of Charlotte's Biddleville neighborhood and a lesson that Jacksonville can learn.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/charlottes-biddleville-what-gentrification-looks-like/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

Re: Charlotte's Biddleville: What gentrification looks like
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 09:29:17 AM »
Some of those look similar to the proposed townhomes in San Marco.  They look awful.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 09:44:31 AM »
For whatever reason, it doesn't appear the land development code does much, in terms of building height, scale, lot size, setbacks, etc. These things alone play an important role in limiting displacement and erasing a neighborhood's character. What's happening there looks like people are bringing the suburbs, including their front facing two car garages and driveways, to the city.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 12:37:03 PM »
I don't have a huge issue with the modern architecture for what is is, but it looks terribly out of places shoehorned in between historic houses like that.  Kind of like those two townhouse in San Marco on Thacker.

Snaketoz

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 05:28:25 PM »
They look to me to be like neighborhood firehouses built in early 1900s.

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 07:49:25 PM »
Could our own Emerald Lace be considered Gentrification??

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 09:06:18 AM »
I assume, you mean the Emerald Trail? Not alone. It can benefit the existing community if there are other policies in place that protect the established communities from practices that lead to displacement. If these policies aren't in place, then yes, it could become an infrastructure improvement that fuels gentrification.

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 07:28:35 PM »
I assume, you mean the Emerald Trail? Not alone. It can benefit the existing community if there are other policies in place that protect the established communities from practices that lead to displacement. If these policies aren't in place, then yes, it could become an infrastructure improvement that fuels gentrification.

Yes, Thank You.
Emerald Trail. Emerald Necklace has been a favorite reference.
I am so pleased with the progress forward.
And considering the funding sources, “ Gentrification “ should be allowed, assumed  or simply no longer a subject with unfettered abandon.
I imagine the outcome a couple of decades from now will have shown “ Gentrification “ did not occur.