Author Topic: Four Seasons Hotel plan headed to DDRB this week  (Read 5340 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Four Seasons Hotel plan headed to DDRB this week
« on: October 10, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »

A plan for a Four Seasons Hotel and Residences as a part of a mixed use redevelopment of Metropolitan Park continues to move forward. On October 14th, the Downtown Development Review Board (DDRB) will consider a request for conceptual design approval of the $321 million project.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/four-seasons-hotel-plan-headed-to-ddrb-this-week/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
Re: Four Seasons Hotel plan headed to DDRB this week
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 10:41:10 PM »
This looks kind of different than the initial rendering introduced a few months ago. What did they change?
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

Des

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 07:38:29 AM »
The previous rendering was an 'L' Shape that was one building. This rendering shows two separate buildings, probably a little bit smaller, but can't say for sure.

Not surprised considering the proposed renderings for Daily's Place and what was built.

Edit: I saw the site plan - doesn't look too much smaller than originally proposed, I think.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:42:57 AM by Des »

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 09:08:54 AM »
It's actually slightly bigger than originally proposed.  The ballroom used to be at the intersection of the two wings.  It was expanded and moved out to the side and a restaurant has taken its place.  What is not shown in the front page rendering is the marina building.  It's not scrapped, but I guess it wasn't included in this drawing.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 09:23:01 AM »
How big is the "Conference Center"?
Is this a start of a "Convention Center"?

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 09:25:37 AM »
Check out the comparisons and parallels of Nashville's "Four Seasons" and Jacksonville's; Nashville's will be a 40 story tower overlooking a bustling downtown; and Jacksonville's Four Seasons will be............oh well, you be the judge after reading this article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/four-seasons-in-2-cities-jacksonville-and-nashville-on-different-tracks-for-luxury-hotel/ar-AAPlcdB?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 09:59:53 AM »
How big is the "Conference Center"?
Is this a start of a "Convention Center"?

The room is 5,500 sqft with lobby and back of house.
No.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 10:28:55 AM »
Check out the comparisons and parallels of Nashville's "Four Seasons" and Jacksonville's; Nashville's will be a 40 story tower overlooking a bustling downtown; and Jacksonville's Four Seasons will be............oh well, you be the judge after reading this article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/four-seasons-in-2-cities-jacksonville-and-nashville-on-different-tracks-for-luxury-hotel/ar-AAPlcdB?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Not surprising. Unfortunately places like Nashville and Charlotte were Jax's peer cities 20 or 30 years ago. Those places have blown up over the last two decades. For a variety of reasons, many self inflicted, Downtown Jax has not kept pace. So it's not surprising that a five star hotel that's a mile away from the real traditional central business district in a sleepy downtown would require incentives while a larger project in a larger metropolitan area with a significantly more vibrant downtown would not. To be honest, I'm surprised this 4 Seasons thing has gotten this far. I'm still not totally sold that that project is viable long term if Jax can't get itself together quick.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjaguar

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 10:55:06 AM »

I mean there's no comparison between downtown Nashville and Jacksonville from a visitors perspective. Nashville has NFL, NHL, MLS and NCAA teams + one of the top nightlife destinations in the country + ample daytime activities for family's + walkability + google fiber.

Downtown Jacksonville has virtually nothing to keep people in the core for an entire day. Sure you could tailgate, go to a game and then a bar afterwards, but it's all super disconnected and inconvenient for visitors. As a Jags fan it pains me to say this, but I think the Titans have one of the best stadium locations in the League. It's so easy to just walk across the pedestrian bridge to the stadium before the game and back into downtown afterwards. We've had a blast every time we've gone there for NFL and NHL because there's just so much to do in such close proximity to the Arena and stadium during the day and night.

Zac T

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 12:06:59 PM »
Unrelated to Four Seasons but I noticed on one of the slides that the Cathedral District, LaVilla, and the western portion of Brooklyn all have height restrictions. Why is this? A 75 foot height restriction in LaVilla seems really restrictive being right adjacent to the CBD and having so much available space for future infill. 

jaxjaguar

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 12:36:47 PM »
I would assume it's due to all of the houses in that area. Would be weird to have a skyscraper next door to a single story home.

Zac T

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »
Should we be restricting new development within parts of the CBD to conform to the scale of a single story home?

vicupstate

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 01:27:19 PM »
A market analysis done by CBRE determined the 25 "uber-luxury" residences should be able to find buyers. The biggest condominium would be a 19,000-square-foot penthouse whose sales value would equate to $16.5 million, according to a Downtown Investment Authority staff review of the CBRE analysis.

The other residences would have an average size of about 3,600 square feet and a cost of around $3.1 million apiece.

Hard to believe there is a market for this price point in this location.

BTW, there is no way that this hotel and office building cost $400 mm to build. Not even half that.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charles Hunter

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 02:13:25 PM »
[I swear I posted this earlier ... guess I did not]

From the Nashville comparison article
The proposed deal says that if the hotel is not a Four Seasons flag, the property tax rebates will end immediately unless the Downtown Investment Authority approves a switch to a different luxury hotel brand.

Does anyone doubt the DIA would vote unanimously to approve such a change?

[sarcasm mode] In business news, Motel 6 announces a new "luxury brand" to be called Motel 7.[end sarcasm mode]

Ken_FSU

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 07:03:12 PM »
What is not shown in the front page rendering is the marina building.  It's not scrapped, but I guess it wasn't included in this drawing.

The marina building, Riverwalk extension, event lawn, and marina improvements (e.g. the portions of the project on publicly owned property) aren’t part of the formal Iguana project and proposal. They’re also not guaranteed in the legislation. Iguana simply has the option to make these public improvements, at the city’s expense ($18 mil total), if they choose. Under the language in the deal, Iguana would cover all cost overruns. If you look at a project like Coastline, and its associated cost and time overruns, it’s in better hands with the Jags.