Author Topic: DeSantis Politicizing FDOT?  (Read 15389 times)

jaxlongtimer

Re: DeSantis Politicizing FDOT?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 12:00:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/NateMonroeTU/status/1402741297547448321?s=20

Hey guys, per
@KatherineMLewin
 - those "several complaints" that prompted FDOT to force JTA to take the pride lights down (contrary to the "permitting" excuse provided earlier in the day)? Wouldn't ya know it, they were all phone calls and they took no information down.

So there is no evidence that even ONE call was actually made.

Thousands of people call state and local government agencies in Florida every day with anonymous code complaints or concerns. There is no information to take down if someone wants to remain anonymous. Someone wouldn't say, "hi this is Bubba Johnson at 224 Bigot Road, Baldwin, Florida. I would like to report an issue with Jacksonville's bridge lighting. Here is my phone number, I would like to be called when there is a resolution". What would actually happen, is some group would send an email blast out to their followers and ask them to call FDOT and complain. Said government agency would then be flooded with calls and the agency would feel pressure to take action.

Could there have been no calls made? Sure. The fact that no notes were taken is an absolute non-story.

OK, let's assume anonymous phone calls were made.  Would not FDOT weigh those calls against the obvious landslide of calls they know would be coming if they killed the lights... as did actually happen?

The question is who decides who to listen to and what decision gets ultimately made.  It's clear that someone at FDOT felt the right decision was to listen to anti-LGBTQers over pro and that they believed this is what their superiors would want them to do.  This is were the tone set by the governor comes in.  Employees are operating based on a "What would Ron DeSantis do?" basis.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:07:42 PM by jaxlongtimer »

fsu813

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 12:11:16 PM »

Hey guys, per
@KatherineMLewin
 - those "several complaints" that prompted FDOT to force JTA to take the pride lights down (contrary to the "permitting" excuse provided earlier in the day)? Wouldn't ya know it, they were all phone calls and they took no information down.

Thousands of people call state and local government agencies in Florida every day with anonymous code complaints or concerns. There is no information to take down if someone wants to remain anonymous. Someone wouldn't say, "hi this is Bubba Johnson at 224 Bigot Road, Baldwin, Florida. I would like to report an issue with Jacksonville's bridge lighting. Here is my phone number, I would like to be called when there is a resolution". What would actually happen, is some group would send an email blast out to their followers and ask them to call FDOT and complain. Said government agency would then be flooded with calls and the agency would feel pressure to take action.

Could there have been no calls made? Sure. The fact that no notes were taken is an absolute non-story.

As someone who has worked for and with government, this rings true. Strategically planning low key digs at the public 30 days in advance via obscure technical ordinance/policy isn't what Joe Blow in permitting and enforcement is typically thinking about.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:14:14 PM by fsu813 »

vicupstate

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 01:17:07 PM »
I doubt this would have happened if not for the tone set at the top.

Speculative and unsubstantiated

Not gonna change your mind, though, that's fine. The lights are back on.

The actions, words and example set by management filter down throughout any organization. If they did not, then what is the point of having management? 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

CityLife

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2021, 01:33:06 PM »

Hey guys, per
@KatherineMLewin

OK, let's assume anonymous phone calls were made.  Would not FDOT weigh those calls against the obvious landslide of calls they know would be coming if they killed the lights... as did actually happen?

The question is who decides who to listen to and what decision gets ultimately made.  It's clear that someone at FDOT felt the right decision was to listen to anti-LGBTQers over pro and that they believed this is what their superiors would want them to do.  This is were the tone set by the governor comes in.  Employees are operating based on a "What would Ron DeSantis do?" basis.

Whoever made the call at FDOT was technically following proper procedure, so there was no need to weigh the political implications on their end. The lights were in fact a violation of the "permitted color scheme". Complaints were made and someone at FDOT made the call to follow procedure and request they be consistent with what was permitted. It THEN became political and the Governor of Florida made the call to technically break the law and allow the lights to continue despite them not being properly permitted.

The headlines COULD actually now read "Florida Governor Violates Permitting Rules To Allow Gay Pride Display to Remain".

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2021, 02:07:16 PM »
Whoever made the call at FDOT was technically following proper procedure, so there was no need to weigh the political implications on their end. The lights were in fact a violation of the "permitted color scheme". Complaints were made and someone at FDOT made the call to follow procedure and request they be consistent with what was permitted. It THEN became political and the Governor of Florida made the call to technically break the law and allow the lights to continue despite them not being properly permitted.

The headlines COULD actually now read "Florida Governor Violates Permitting Rules To Allow Gay Pride Display to Remain".

Except whoever made the call never bothered to make it for other "technical" violations, just this one.  Inconsistent application of the rules suggests other factors were involved in the decision making process.  Do you think if someone complained about pink lights for breast cancer they would have made the same call?  Do you think if someone thought the complaint was trivial, rules be damned, they would have either ignored the "violation" or, at least, called superiors for guidance on whether to kill a fly with sledgehammer?  How many "rules" are overlooked for incidental "violations" everyday?  Kind of like the health dept. not citing a kid's lemonade stand.

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2021, 02:07:47 PM »
I don't have any interest in just going back and forth on the bridge, but in other news…

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-board-education-critical-race-theory

Florida board of education approves DeSantis' rule banning critical race theory
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2021, 05:26:43 PM »
I don't have any interest in just going back and forth on the bridge, but in other news…

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-board-education-critical-race-theory

Florida board of education approves DeSantis' rule banning critical race theory

So, they've banned a right wing boogieman that wasn't being taught anyway. Yeah, inserting himself into local district issues sure doesn't seem like something DeSantis would do.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2021, 06:30:35 PM »
I don't have any interest in just going back and forth on the bridge....

But, but, but... that's what bridges are for!  8) 8) 8)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2021, 06:35:55 PM »
Decorative bridge lighting is wasteful and contributes unnecessarily to global warming... I suggest all decorative lighting be dismantled and eliminated...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2021, 06:50:30 PM »
Decorative bridge lighting is wasteful and contributes unnecessarily to global warming... I suggest all decorative lighting be dismantled and eliminated...

So does participation in online fora ... so do your part and reduce energy use.   ;)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2021, 05:49:49 AM »

So does participation in online fora ... so do your part and reduce energy use.   ;)

Sez the pot to the kettle…
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2021, 08:00:26 AM »

Hence, the 'winking' emoji  :)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2021, 10:23:53 AM »

Hence, the 'winking' emoji  :)

Ah… ok… I thought that meant that you thought I was cute…  :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 10:26:52 AM by BridgeTroll »

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2021, 11:28:06 AM »

Except whoever made the call never bothered to make it for other "technical" violations, just this one.

It's been widely reported that FDOT has declined all sorts of bridge colorization requests in the past.

No one is claiming the DeSantis hates baseball because of FDOT's previous denials w/ the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Let's have the decency to admit _suspicion_  of political motives for the move is reasonable, claims of mind reading and absolute knowledge, quite the opposite.