Author Topic: Planned Southside Jacksonville Waste Transfer Station Raises Concerns  (Read 19487 times)

johnsantangelo

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 03:52:01 PM by johnsantangelo »

Charles Hunter

It is definitely close to residential properties.  The proximity will depend on where on the rather large lot - and which side of the pond - they plan to put the facility.
Surely there are similar facilities around the country. What are the smell, traffic, and vermin issues with them?
There appear to be other businesses served by heavy trucks, so I guess the only access road can handle the load.

jaxlongtimer

Doesn't seem like many garbage companies in this town have favorable reputations for doing the right thing or giving great service.  That bites them when they try to do projects like this.  It may be a dirty business in more ways than one :).  They definitely should be doing more community outreach and support given most are multi-billion dollar companies in a very profitable and stable industry. 

Charles Hunter

^ and picking up the trash or recycling on the scheduled days would help their reputations - not 4 days late!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
It is definitely close to residential properties.  The proximity will depend on where on the rather large lot - and which side of the pond - they plan to put the facility.
Surely there are similar facilities around the country. What are the smell, traffic, and vermin issues with them?
There appear to be other businesses served by heavy trucks, so I guess the only access road can handle the load.

Pretty crazy that they can't find a site that's not near a residential area. Could definitely see smell being an issue at some point. It would seem to be much easier to find a site that's not near a residential area, considering we're an 800 square mile city.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

johnsantangelo

What's wild to me is that in addition to it being near houses, the plans also put it within feet of wetlands.

WarDamJagFan

Doesn't seem like many garbage companies in this town have favorable reputations for doing the right thing or giving great service.  That bites them when they try to do projects like this.  It may be a dirty business in more ways than one :).  They definitely should be doing more community outreach and support given most are multi-billion dollar companies in a very profitable and stable industry.

I live in Danny Becton's district in the Baymeadows/Southside area. Pick any day of the week, and garbage is visible everywhere on the shoulders and medians of Southside Blvd between JTB and US1. I emailed Danny a couple years ago to voice complaints about the eyesore this was causing in our area. Response? "Trash comes out of garbage trucks. We are aware. Please feel free to donate to the Adopt a Highway program". Aka, feel free to give us money so you can pick up the trash yourself. Absolute clown.

Ken_FSU

RiversEdge is the new name, per the event today.

Townhouses are under contract, bulkhead work to begin this week.

DIA has contracted Marc Fornes (https://theverymany.com/) to do a five-story statue at the new riverfront park.

jaxoNOLE

I live in Danny Becton's district in the Baymeadows/Southside area. Pick any day of the week, and garbage is visible everywhere on the shoulders and medians of Southside Blvd between JTB and US1. I emailed Danny a couple years ago to voice complaints about the eyesore this was causing in our area. Response? "Trash comes out of garbage trucks. We are aware. Please feel free to donate to the Adopt a Highway program". Aka, feel free to give us money so you can pick up the trash yourself. Absolute clown.

At the District 1 town hall last night, CM Morgan asked the room who was having issues with garbage and the whole room raised their hands. The city rep from public works offered to circulate a pad and get everyone's information, to which CM Morgan responded (paraphrasing here) "There's too many for you to handle it personally." We truly are struggling with the most basic things.

acme54321

RiversEdge is the new name, per the event today.

Townhouses are under contract, bulkhead work to begin this week.

DIA has contracted Marc Fornes (https://theverymany.com/) to do a five-story statue at the new riverfront park.

Wrong thread?