Author Topic: Is U2C serious? Help me make it make sense....  (Read 35830 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Is U2C serious? Help me make it make sense....
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2021, 10:21:53 PM »
They're in their own little bubble.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2021, 07:10:55 PM »
The U.S. Department of Transportation apparently sees something we don’t. They’ve announced a grant to help on planning for the neighborhood extensions. Curiously enough, it makes mention of “some dedicated transit lanes.”

So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2021, 07:39:15 PM »
The U.S. Department of Transportation apparently sees something we don’t. They’ve announced a grant to help on planning for the neighborhood extensions. Curiously enough, it makes mention of “some dedicated transit lanes.”

I would not put much stock in these grants.  This is how the original Skyway got built.  It's all pork barrel spending supported by bought politicians, not transportation professionals or community demand, who are "bringing home the bacon" for their local contractors and agency employees who are the only ones who stand to benefit from the project's completion.  No effort is made to consider other more pressing needs of the greater community that lacks the lobbyists and paid connections to redirect these monies for higher value projects.

This is a bipartisan issue.  Follow the money.

tufsu1

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2021, 09:46:29 PM »
Impressive map with that RAISE project description ;)

Charles Hunter

« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2021, 10:22:19 PM »
Oh my!  I had not even noticed the map!  Brilliant!
Does that mean that Orlando really got the $1.7 million for some planning study?  :D

marcuscnelson

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2021, 10:35:38 PM »
Impressive map with that RAISE project description ;)

Yeah, they screwed up and put the map from the Orlando Vision Zero project that's on the following page. Not sure how that happened. Orlando got about $600k for that.

JTA's also put out a press release about the award: https://www.jtafla.com/media-center/press-releases/jta-awarded-1-72-million-raise-grant-for-u2c/
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

tufsu1

« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2021, 09:46:14 AM »
I would be much happier receiving the $18 million Tampa got for complete streets

Captain Zissou

« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2021, 12:14:11 PM »
So it costs $5.5M just to study the U2C?  This is such a boondoggle. We could do so much more with that money. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2021, 12:19:33 PM »
Just lighting money on fire!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2021, 10:14:42 PM »
Everything’s fine, we’re totally gonna figure it out, nothing to see here.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/12/16/wave-shuttle-whitby-durham-region-transit-traffic/

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2021, 07:37:38 AM »
Even with the accident, it is interesting that they are using these as a first mile last mile pilot from rail stations.  This would be equivalent to running a pilot to Springfield, San Marco or Riverside from the nearest Skyway station, not replacing a higher capacity system.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2022, 09:08:28 PM »
Local Motors, the company behind the Olli 2.0 JTA has been testing, and recently showcased Goodyear airless tires on, appears to be shutting down.

https://www.engadget.com/after-15-years-local-motors-will-reportedly-cease-operations-this-friday-224540158.html

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2022, 10:21:02 PM »
Interesting.... I wonder what this means for our ambitious dreams?

Charles Hunter

« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2022, 10:24:03 PM »
From the article
It set off a minor arms race among automakers to produce a new class of autonomous EV people movers, however, imparting Level 4 autonomous capabilities has proven exceedingly difficult to date — in part due to technological shortcomings in the current generation of sensor and signal processing systems.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2022, 11:14:28 PM »
David Cawton of JTA had this to say:

The Olli 2.0 is one of many vehicles the JTA's tested, not one that was identified as the vehicle we would use... that decision is a while off