Author Topic: Is U2C serious? Help me make it make sense....  (Read 35820 times)

bl8jaxnative

Re: Is U2C serious? Help me make it make sense....
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2021, 03:53:44 PM »
How are they coming with developing a solution to getting the AVs between the elevated guideway and the ground?

The longer we go w/out detials on this, the more I suspect they don't know.  I've never found anything like it out there.  They're probably looking to have to design + engineer from scratch and at that anyone providing services, it's a one-off.  There's no where else that wants nor needs to the equipment nor solutions.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2021, 03:58:42 PM »
I asked during my tour of their testing facility. The short answer is they don't know. They planned to ramp down Hogan Street but the DIA said no. So they were exploring an elevator which is one of the dumbest things I've heard about this project so far. The sane person in me wonders why they just won't try a pilot AV program that's 100% at-grade by removing a lane out of a locally maintained street? It would be a thousand times cheaper, less time consuming and easier to implement.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 04:00:29 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2021, 04:43:59 PM »
^ Problem solved by going all the way, futuristic/Jetson's style, and have flying AV's.  Hyundai is working on flying cars so maybe JTA should give them a call.  No reason why JTA shouldn't be a trendsetter there too - after all, money is no object nor are realistic goals.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2021, 02:30:57 PM »
I asked during my tour of their testing facility. The short answer is they don't know. They planned to ramp down Hogan Street but the DIA said no. So they were exploring an elevator which is one of the dumbest things I've heard about this project so far. The sane person in me wonders why they just won't try a pilot AV program that's 100% at-grade by removing a lane out of a locally maintained street? It would be a thousand times cheaper, less time consuming and easier to implement.

Except they have a monorailpod fleet of vehicles that are at the end of their lifespan.  If they're going to keep running the Skyway, they need to keep running something up there.

And that comes back to the idea that they'd have to pay the Feds back.  Surely it ain't that much when prorated, if that's even really in play.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2021, 02:38:49 PM »
^It would still be cheaper to replace the fleet of vehicles than to take the route they've decided.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2021, 02:58:32 PM »
I wonder if it's out of the question to buy the portion of parking lot next to Hogan Street and ramp down there.

As far as Lake, I guess we have no choice but to heed Carlucci's words, "you gotta have faith in the future."

The final offers from the Bay Street consortiums are supposed to be in the 12th. It's possible that by August or September they'll be signing a deal.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

JBTripper

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »
I found something similar in Gainesville: http://go-rts.com/autonomous-vehicle/

The route runs from downtown Gainesville, about 12 blocks to a roundabout 1 block off the UF campus. It turns a 15-minute walk into a 10-minute ride.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2021, 12:35:59 PM »
^It moves less than 10mph and it doesn't seem to be packed with transit users. Much faster and easier to bike. Good for a pilot project and first mile/last mile connection but questionable for use on a major transit spine.

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2021, 01:27:48 PM »
JTA better figure out a way to do better than that on Bay Street.

When people from the beaches and Ponte Vedra come downtown for football and see a phase-1 clown car rolling down the street at 10mph (ideally getting passed by bicycles--or scooters!--as a reference point), and dead-ending with a mournful gaze up at the yet-to-be-transitioned Skyway before turning around for a return trip down Bay Street, they're gonna say "That's the future of nearly $300M?"

Charles Hunter

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2021, 08:46:49 AM »
An article about the computer simulation technology Waymo is using to virtually test their AVs
https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/6/22565448/waymo-simulation-city-autonomous-vehicle-testing-virtual?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2021, 02:55:36 PM »
Lol at this article: https://news.wjct.org/post/industry-first-jta-goodyear-roll-out-airless-tires-autonomous-test-shuttle

Sounds like Mr. Ford is even more confident in AVs' imminent success than the President of the company selling them:

Local Motors President Vikrant Aggarwal said in a statement that autonomous vehicles such as Olli still need to decrease maintenance costs and "perform reliably," but added that he thinks Goodyear's NPTs will be less of a burden for maintenance teams. NPTs could become an industry standard, he said.

https://link.autonews.com/view/5f7a8f4d756427613a3db85aek9o0.54j/6154a7eb

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2021, 06:07:42 PM »
Looks like Nat Ford is hedging his bets with the quotes in this article.  Basically admits they have a long way to go and will still need JTA employees in the vehicles.  Then he adds a comment indicating this is planned to be deployed after being proven on closed streets and courses ?!  Really?  How about deploying it after its proven on open streets?  I am confused as to their plan, if they even have one.

All things highlighted in prior posts.  So, whats the point then...?

JTA has been testing automated vehicles at Armsdale from three different companies for its U2C program but has not selected the model that will be used.

Ford said JTA will award the bid for the first phase of the U2C — the 3-mile Bay Street Innovation Corridor — within a few weeks.

He says the project will take two to 2½ years to complete.

JTA will receive $247 million for the U2C from the 6-cent Local Option Gas Tax increase approved by City Council on May 26.

The authority will use the money for the second phase of the U2C, which will convert the Skyway monorail track into an elevated roadway for the automated vehicles connected to the Innovation Corridor.

Ford said the JTA will station attendants aboard the automated vehicles when they’re first deployed until officials determine the technology is ready to be fully autonomous.

“We don’t feel, at this juncture, the technology is robust enough as it relates to all the different encounters that will happen in a typical American street,” Ford said. “Everything from pedestrians, children and animals, things of that nature.

“In the future, when the time is right based on closed courses and closed streets and roads, then you can get into a model of driverless.”

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/photo-gallery/goodyear-jta-announce-partnership-for-pilot-program

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2021, 07:04:12 PM »
I’d almost respect it if it wasn’t so damning. Man waited to have the money in his pocket before walking back to “oh, it’ll be longer than that for any useful degree of autonomy.”

I’ve said before, one of the things that I found disappointing is that they didn’t (or couldn’t) convince any of the players in this market to put anything here. No factories, no offices, no service centers or operations facilities, nothing. The only jobs this creates are construction and I guess now new operators.
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2021, 08:17:20 PM »
It created 6 or so jobs at JTA. That was actually a selling point that was pushed during my trip to the U2C test parking lot.